It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When people died before religion, where did they go?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
This question was posed within earshot the other night, and I thought it was a very good question.

Modern religions, like Christianity, tell us that to get to heaven we must believe that Jesus Christ came down and died for our sins. What about the time frame when people were here before Jesus was? What did we have to do then?

We can also backtrack to the Old Testament with the 10 commandments. What about the times before that?

I just find it odd that with so many inconsistancies in the bible, so many people in this day and age leave their spiritual well being up to "faith".

Peace

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Quick Answer: To the dust and non-existence.

Now for the detailed answer.
An excellent question in the OP. I would add to any thinking Christians that have the ability to go beyond standard church dogma, how could any human go to heaven before Jesus paid the ransom with his death?

If you could not accept the ransom, because it wouldn't have been paid yet, it's not like God could pre-forgive you with something that wasn't done or accepted yet.

Rather the bible answers this question for all humans regardless of belief structure, there is only one reality, not multiple ones.
The bible's first definition of death
Genesis 3:19

In the sweat of your face shall you eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken; for dust you are and to dust you shall return.

Then
Ecclesiastes 9:2

The same destiny ultimately awaits everyone, whether righteous or wicked, good or bad,a ceremonially clean or unclean, religious or irreligious. Good people receive the same treatment as sinners, and people who make promises to God are treated like people who don’t.

Then
Ecclesiastes 9:5&6

5 For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten.
6 Also, their love and their hate and their jealousy have already perished, and they have no portion anymore to time indefinite in anything that has to be done under the sun.

And then applying it to our very souls not just our physical bodies
Ezekiel 18:20A

The soul who sins is the one who will die.

At least until Jesus came to the earth to forgive humanity, these scriptures were in force. Many Christians can't understand how the ransom sacrifice works.

So all humans had been going into a state of non-existence at death(back to the dust), God can and will recreate humans to either spirit life or physical life.

Most of the billions that have lived and died on this earth are in fact sleeping in death right now. Just like Jesus spoke of Lazurus in the bible who had died, from Jesus perspective he was just sleeping because he had the power to wake him up from death.

Their hope is this....

John 5: 28&29

Don’t be so surprised! Indeed, the time is coming when all the dead in their graves will hear the voice of God’s Son, 29and they will rise again. Those who have done good will rise to experience eternal life, and those who have continued in evil will rise to experience judgment.

Notice that the judgment only happens if they continue in their evil ways, their past sins in their past life are forgiven because Jesus gives them life again.

Here is why...
Romans 6:7

For he who has died has been acquitted from [his] sin.

Billions are now sleeping in death, in the future Jesus will resurrect them, forgive them, and give them a second chance, based on the absolute reality of knowledge they now posses, most will readily accept Jesus and his fathers theocracy.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Religion has been, through history, mankind's attempt to recognize and understand God. Often it has also been used to try to make God manageable. When you're dealing with the infinite, it can become a little disconcerting.

I do believe the Bible to be the inspired Word of God, and that it is accurate. In that, several things are spoken of. Even those who do not know Christ or who God really is via religion are shown Him through His creation. We can see this to be true in every culture through the planet -- there is a God, there are spirits, there is something greater than us that we cannot fully understand.

The book of Job, as an example, is believed to be the oldest book of the Bible, and took place before Moses and the Exodus. Paul writes that God made the Law (of which the Ten Commandments are a part) not that we can live up to it, but that we can see our depravity and distance from God. Also that we might see we need a savior. Though Christ had not yet lived in our perception, David recognized this in Second Samuel when the prophet Nathan pointed out what he had done with Bathsheba. God disciplined David, but forgave him as well. David saw his depravity and asked for the only thing that could reconcile it -- Grace.

Yes, Christ is the way, the truth and the life, and no one comes to the Father except through Him. For God, though, who exists outside of time, the crucifixion is taking place at all times -- the price was paid from the beginning, though, to us, it is a specific point in history. This is how, when David cried out for mercy, God granted it without sacrifices. He is completely just, but He is also merciful. This is demonstrated, too, through the prophet Elijah as well as Enoch. Both were taken up to Heaven without dying. How could this be if it were not for Christ's sacrifice? We know very little about Enoch, but much about Elijah. He was a man like us. He sinned. He lost faith on several occasions. He was redeemed to the point that God took him directly up without death.

As so many today will say, some without realizing what it means, it's about a relationship with God, not rules and regulations. So even those first folks who, in a culture that had moved away from God, looked at a tree and knew there was something greater and started to seek God found Him. His word says if we seek Him we will find Him. Abraham experienced this and became a friend of God's. Job must have, as well as those who were with him. Noah, too, sought the Lord.

I can't say I understand how, exactly, it works before that moment in history took place. I do know, though, that the Bible provides examples and explanations in both the Old and New Testaments that it does work, though.

Now, though, He has made it easier, revealed, how we can come to Him. So as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Two very well structured and worded replies. Thank you.

Now, while I believe that there is a higher power that has had a hand in my life many times, that's about as far as my belief system goes. There are forces in our lives that we cannot understand or control. I'm more of a yin-yang, what goes around comes around type person. I believe that whatever love or hate you have had in your life, will go with you when you die. I guess that's my version of heaven and hell.

Both of your replies were based from the same bible, yet they seem to vary greatly.

Blue Jay, you sound ALOT like a Jehova Witness, while you, J. J., sound more spiritual than religious. Myself, I've never really read the bible at all, so I guess that's one reason why I find it interesting that the same book can be interpreted in two very distinct ways.

All in all though, you answered my question. Thank you.

Peace

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I think that if you really consider the question, the answer is evident, at least to a certain extent.

top topics

join