It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Silence From U.S. & Its Allies Allowed Iran to Get Seat on U.N. Women’s Rights Body

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

SILENCE From U.S. & Its Allies Allowed Iran to Get Seat on U.N. Women’s Rights Body

Silence From U.S. & Its Allies Allowed Iran to Get Seat on U.N. Women’s Rights Body

he United States and 12 other Western democracies kept silent this week as Iran was nominated for membership of the United Nations’ Commission on the Status of Women (CSW), thus enabling Iran to get the seat.

In the four-year period beginning in 2011, Iran will help set U.N. policy on gender equality and the advancement of women.

Iran’s unchallenged election, at a meeting in New York Wednesday, came just over a week after Iranian media quoted a senior Islamic cleric in Tehran as saying that immodest dress and behavior by women was to blame for an increase in earthquakes.

[mpre]

And this commission is going to assess the status of women in the modern world and supposedly lay down governmental policy reform recommendations for the whole fekking world.

Oh, yeah. Bring in the dungeon-masters.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I think this is a situation where they are hoping Iran learns more than it contributes to the group.

If anybody is worried that Obama is going to start saying scantily clad women cause earthquakes, you're wrong. The man already was tempted, had an affair, (no judgement, just fact) and as far as I know, no major earthquake was reported at the time...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:27 PM
link   
My concern is that our leadership here in America didn't stand up like men and say, HELL NO, WE DO NOT WANT IRAN HOLDING A SEAT ON THIS COMMISSION BECAUSE IRAN STILL STONES WOMEN TO DEATH AND MUTILATES THEIR GENITALS AND TREATS THEM LIKE ANIMALS!!

That was my concern.

Of course, there isn't a swinging dick in Washington with balls big enough to make a public statement such as that. Obama is waaaaay down the list of "real men" in America. The guy is a pantywaist and an Islamic ass-kissing son of a pig. Allah Be Praised.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Ongoing Thread

UN is a joke and this move on their part just makes it more concrete of them being viewed as a joke. They also promoted Zimbabwe to the seat also, the same country in which Mugabe ordered for the rape of Women and Girls who opposed him.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I agree with the above that I hope this is more about a learning experience for Iran than to allow them to help shape the way that women are treated in this world. For example I hope that these are not the type of things that they hope to put in place:

1)Stoning to Death in Iran:A Crime Against Humanity Carried Out By the Mullahs' Regime.
CAUTION VIDEO IS VERY VIOLENT www.iran-e-azad.org...
The stoning of women is one of the more savage, and revealing aspects of the mullahs' rule in Iran. This vicious punishment of women is without precedent in Iran's recent history. Since the inception of the mullahs' rule, hundreds of women of various ages have been and continue to be stoned to death throughout Iran.

2)Cultural and Political Opression of Iranian Women
www.amnesty.org...
Women in Iran face far-reaching discrimination under the law. They are denied equal rights in marriage, divorce, child custody and inheritance. Evidence given by a woman in court is considered only worth half that given by a man. A girl under the age of 13 can be forced to marry a much older man if her father permits it.

A 16 Year Old Iranian Girl Executed by Islamic Police.

Link to BBC Story
A television documentary team has pieced together details surrounding the case of a 16-year-old girl, executed two years ago in Iran.
On 15 August, 2004, Atefah Sahaaleh was hanged in a public square in the Iranian city of Neka. Her death sentence was imposed for "crimes against chastity".
The state-run newspaper accused her of adultery and described her as 22 years old. But she was not married - and she was just 16.

These are just a few examples. There are sadly surely more.

new topics

top topics

join