It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabian communities - A picture of the future???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Whilst reading reports about Saudi Arabian Anti-Terrorism measures I couldnt help but think to the future where this could be applied on a larger scale to western population centres. Security levels are quite extraordinary in places and you'd need a tank division just to make a scratch in the defences.

However, a herald in security measures has appreared. Gated communities have sprung up all over Saudi Arabia. I can see this measure being a big thing for the future, communities of thousands living in comfortable surroundings ringed by 50ft high bombproofed walls as thick as a small car, fields of razor wire and multiple camera's guard just a few entrances.

People can live in these communities indefinitely without leaving, some of the eastern saudi ones have their own shopping district, gyms, pools and other utilities, this may breed xenophobia but allows people to be safe in their surroundings.

Controlled by a central security command room these complexes are watched 24 hours a day by a large staff ready to deal with any threat. SWAT teams and special anti-terror commando's are only a phone call away if needed, this supplements the communities own small police forces.

What do you think of these and would you live in one?

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Sounds plausable, I see a lot of gated communities popping up all the time in the US, none to the extent of Saudi Arabia though. I;ve also seen communities with their own markets and so forth, but no gates. There would probably be different income levels for the varying communities and end up classifying people according to where they live (to even more of an extent than now).
I'm sure there would still be people outside the walls living in the open, probably the poorest of all the people. As long as the rich get richer and the poor get poorer, it will probably happen.

The people outside the walls may eventually live in ghettos similar to Nazi Germany...

[edit on 5-6-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Remember also though that the Saudi social structure is based heavily upon the haves and have-nots. There is a great level of social discontent in the country and there is not a large middle class to speak of.

Eventually I predict that the Saudi royal family will be overthrown by a popular revolution.

I would bet that the pattern for a sucessful and prosperous Middle East should be based more upon the UAE or Oman.

~Astral

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Astral City
Remember also though that the Saudi social structure is based heavily upon the haves and have-nots. There is a great level of social discontent in the country and there is not a large middle class to speak of.

Funny thing is, It's westerners living in the complexes, the biggest ones belong to oil companies.

I can see the american communities adopting gates if there was a truckbombing or carbomb campaign in the usa by terrorists.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I spent a year working in Saudi and we (Americans & some Brits) lived in one of those type of communities. We had our own commisary, gym, pool bowling alley, and movie theatre. There was only one way in and out. We were surrounded by 12 ft. high walls with razor wire on top. The homes were nice and it wasn't to bad. Of course this was back in 97 before all the current BS started.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I don't think that these types of communities would arise in the US from the effect of terrorism, but instead from an economic hardship where the have and have nots become more distinct. In that case, crime would rise and the haves may deem it necessary to isolate themselves in communities such as Saudi Arabia. However I think that scenario would only happen in the most dramatic of circumstances.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Narnia I completely agree, however seeing this type of duality between the rich and poor in America would become a very dangerous and unstable situation before it could become deeply rooted in the culture.

I highly doubt that many Americans would take well to being cast down and left to live in slums while gated fortress-like comunities of the rich grew around them. The Americans are very convinced that everyone should get at least some form of shake in their country.

As I see it, the middle class would probably be slowly cast down, and this newly formed underclass would be ripe for revolution.

Does the phrase viva la revolution ring a bell? If not how bout the rolling heads of the ruling class as a country's poor rose up and stormed the towers. It'd be the French Revolution all over again.

~Astral

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Astral~

If it goes that route I am sure, I just can't conceive of it though. The thing about compounds in this country due to terrorism, seems less of a possibility. I am sure that the Government would implement a law stricter than the patriot act before we start building compounds as they are in Saudi Arabia. Although there are some gated in communities in this country already, such as Bel Air, so maybe it isn't such a far fetched notion.

[edit on 6-6-2004 by Narnia]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Even if it wasn't a far fetched notion, it wouldn't happen overnight.

There is nowhere near the social seperation needed to cause severe problems between the classes.

If the poor are so listless, they should try a job. I hear it does wonders for making money.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Do you know how hard it is to break into the upper crust? The most the poor can hope for is middle class...And the way that much of the middle class spends money, I'm not sure they would have much in case of a breakdown of society...that's what its all about. What happens when society breaks down?

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

If the poor are so listless, they should try a job. I hear it does wonders for making money.

If there were decent jobs available that aren't being moved to India and other countries overseas, then I would concur about getting a job to make money.

I do however agree that it would not happen overnight. As previously stated, it is hard for me to conceive of that scenario.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Narnia

If there were decent jobs available that aren't being moved to India and other countries overseas, then I would concur about getting a job to make money.

There are TONS of jobs out there for someone properly motivated. Anyone who can't make it, who is also able bodied, is mentally lazy and unfit to bitch.

I know it sounds harsh, but I've done it, and continue to.

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:16 AM
link   
As polarization and diversification increases, so will the walls of division grow. Compartmentalizing society is deemed as a step towards better damage control. So they say...

Ideally if areas are walled off, any episodes that go awry in the gated communities is thus confined to a small area without risk of spreading (i.e. L.A. riots). Also it will be easier to quarantine regions if they are already enclosed.

Welcome to Orwell's Brave New World, you shall be assimilated....

Rio de Janeiro state plans to wall off slums

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Originally posted by KrazyJethro
"There are TONS of jobs out there for someone properly motivated. Anyone who can't make it, who is also able bodied, is mentally lazy and unfit to bitch."

I concede on that point, I was merely being facetious. There are social programs to get people jobs, such as in the Welfare system it is mandatory to job search and/or get training. But being "lazy" and unmotivated is no excuse, unless of course there are psychological factors there.

"I know it sounds harsh, but I've done it, and continue to."

My only comment on that is each person is a collectiveness of our own experiences, so if you take another individual from the "ghetto's" of America it comes down to opportunity. Not all people are afforded or privileged with the same opportunities as those who succeed. Of course there are exceptions to the rule, but when there is a demographic where 25% of that population is incarcerated, something is amiss. Which brings me to my conclusion, the US is far from building compounds as was suggested in the origins of this thread. If terrorism becomes a regular occurrence, I could definitely see it happening, but as I've stated previously I think harsher infringements on our civil liberties than the Patriot Act would take place before our society goes down that path. Thus, it is far fetched at this point in time for our culture to consist of compounds as is in Saudi Arabia.

[edit on 6-6-2004 by Narnia]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Welcome to Orwell's Brave New World, you shall be assimilated....

a chilling thought, but orwell was 1984, huxley wrote brave new world,
which is great.
x

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by xundf
a chilling thought, but orwell was 1984, huxley wrote brave new world,
which is great.

Yeah, a play on word's in which I was making the point of three scenarios of Orwell, Huxley and Borg. None that I would wish even on my worst enemies.

Turning society into a labyrnith of walls and cages under the watchfull eyeballs of Big Brother is not my idea of utopia.

[edit on 6-6-2004 by Regenmacher]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I'm not sure where you all live but, there are affluent gated communities all over America. Some are stricter than others. One big difference is that most guards are unarmed or armed with side arms. A large gated community near where I live recently incorporated into their own town. They now have their own shops and police. Gated communities like in Saudi Arabia are more likely to happen in large urban areas imho because; wealthy Americans outside the cities like to have large homes, not live in apartments. In major cities affluent people do live in apartments.
Any gated community that had all the amenities would require a fairly substantial population to be profitable; a skyscraper would be a good.

Variable

new topics

top topics

join