It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another potential Money Grab proposed in the House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Should we be surprised?

In the aftermath of the recent troubles with vehicles from Toyota, a few of our elected have taken this opportunity to try and seize more of the taxpayers dollars.

They also want to make a black box mandatory in all vehicles to record crash data.

House Dems want $9 car fee to fund safety law

Washington -- Two House Democratic leaders want to impose a $9 fee on each new car to bankroll a major increase in auto safety programs, as part of a massive rewrite of auto safety laws.
House Energy and Commerce Committee Chairman Henry Waxman, D-Calif., and Rep. Bobby Rush, D-Ill, who chairs the subcommittee that oversees the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, released a 26-page draft of a bill to reform auto safety measures. It comes in the wake of the recall by Toyota Motor Corp. of more than 8.5 million vehicles worldwide over sudden acceleration concerns.
The bill would give NHTSA sweeping new authority to order an immediate recall if it finds "an imminent hazard of death or serious injury," but would allow an automaker to seek an expedited court review. NHTSA could also order an automaker to stop selling and producing vehicles under the "imminent hazard" finding.

What part of less government do they fail to understand?

ed:bbcode

[edit on 4/30/2010 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Great! More buerocratic red tape! I wonder, how did people survive 50 years ago without uncle Sam holding their hand in every aspect of life (and charging for it of course)

I'm interested to see what exactly this "black box" analyzes.

-E-

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Great find---those sneaky buggers.

IMO-everything they do is for money-for them, somehow. Not taking care or looking out for us.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Obviously they don't understand how these "Black Boxes" in autos work...
there not like the ones you'll find in airplanes... they are engine management systems, but as cars got my complicated the also manage things like the ABS breaking and Traction control systems... they are used to diagnose problems and do record events...

To make a real Black Box they would have to design one, maybe something like the kiddie cams some parents put in the teenagers cars to check up on them...

Is it a good idea??? "Meh" with all the other problems we have, feeding the hungry housing the homeless sealing our leaky borders... I think there's a million better things to spend our tax dollars on

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Put it into its appropriate context and it all makes sense - government is now a business, a corporation if you will, and its sole objective is to generate revenue. The government ceased being FOR, OF and BY the people a very long time ago... 1933 to be exact!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:57 AM
link   
You know what's really funny about this?

Not only will the government set a new "let's call it anything but a tax" charge, but the manufacturers and every middleman in between the comsumer and their car will also raise their 'cost' to 'offset' their "costs" to comply.

"What a dump!" - "George and Martha, sad, sad, sad"....

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Put it into its appropriate context and it all makes sense - government is now a business, a corporation if you will, and its sole objective is to generate revenue. The government ceased being FOR, OF and BY the people a very long time ago... 1933 to be exact!

I would say 1913... but why argue about the leak while the boat is about to flounder....

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

No doubt that all the proposed revenue channels will eventually end up coming out of the car buyers' wallet..

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Is it a good idea??? "Meh" with all the other problems we have, feeding the hungry housing the homeless sealing our leaky borders... I think there's a million better things to spend our tax dollars on

I agree, much more pressing issues to deal with than revamping the whole system they have in place already to deal with these issues.

No need to expand and create another funnel of revenue.

When are they going to actually start to attack the unemployment issue?

I wonder which must pass bill they will try and slide this proposal into?

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   

what part of "knock it off with the spending" don't the understand?
or, ummm "you can't get blood out of a rock, so quite trying"?

there is no sanity in washington...I think if we want to keep some of it in our own little lives, we might have to depend on the states, and ourselves to preserve it!

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:23 AM
link   

You know it's funny.

If we had a honest form of government, things like this would be very welcome.

It would be good for us, the people to have more control over unsafe products and I would not mind paying a little more to know that my vehicles were better protected and safe for me and my family.

The problem today, is this is obviously as you said, another attempt to bleed us dry while applying the governmental vice grip to the auto industry.

Imagine, the ability to just recall or completely stop the sale of ANY automobile. I bet they wouln't even have to provide a decent reason either.

Just like the "States Secret" for FOIA.

How sad.

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

join