It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Details of Fatal SeaWorld Killer Whale Attack-(has killed 4 humans!)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:05 AM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c0e99774c98f.jpg[/atsimg]

A new report reveals minute-by-minute details of the killer whale attack that claimed the life of SeaWorld trainer Dawn Brancheau in February, including accounts from witnesses who said Brancheau briefly broke free from the 12,000-pound orca's grip.

The investigative report released Wednesday by the Orange County Sheriff's Office in Orlando, Fla., includes a park surveillance video that captured the Feb. 24 attack, accounts from horrified witnesses and statements from SeaWorld employees who tried to rescue Brancheau, 40, after Tilikum pulled her underwater by her ponytail.

and the kicker:

SeaWorld staff members quoted in the report said the 27-foot whale, who has been linked to three other SeaWorld deaths, had a history of "possessive behavior," refusing to release toys during training sessions. Trainer Lynne Schaber told investigators she feared for Brancheau's safety immediately after the attack began because Tilikum "normally keeps things that he has and will not release them."

Investigators said trainers told them that while Tilikum was deemed "to have tendencies that make him unsafe," the whale showed no signs of agitation or "unwillingness to perform" on the day of the attack.
Source: www.aolnews.com...

MEANING: The whale is more important to SeaWorld than their employees and thier safety. How many humans have to died before SeaWorld starts to loose money from lawsuits and related expenses-6, 10, 15? Seriously.

I bet any good attorney out there is just wishing they could get this case to go against SeaWorld-sounds like a slam dunk, big money maker-for sure just by asking that question: How many must die before SeaWorld doen't make money from the whale but rather start loosing money?

And the follow-up punch question: What would you do with the whale-how would get rid of it or ensure the public or your employees it doesn't pose a threat to your health and/or well-being (Now get in the tank with it!)?

This topic really needs to be addressed. Time to end these type of shows? Boycott SeaWorld?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/22799f3bac29.jpg[/atsimg] She didn't stand a chance-what a way to go
( NOTE: I didn't include any videotape that is out on the net in case someone would object. Google it please. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
The trainers had it coming this is what happens when you cage a animal like this. I hope they are stupid enough to send people back in so this whale can notch a couple more in his bent over fin.

This is wrong and people should not go and visit parks like this. It is not the zoo these animals are used in ways that are not natural. Do not feel bad for this trainer she had it coming.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Orca whales are extremely intelligent, and just like all intelligent beings there are bound to be crazy ones. Most Orcas would never intentionally harm a human, and fatal attacks are extremely rare, but there is still that risk.

It absolutely astounds me to this day that this whale, who was responsible for three human deaths, was still kept at the park and allowed to do shows.

I agree with you, I think it's time to end these silly shows and leave the Orcas to the wild where they belong. The execs at SeaWorld would never go along with it though. The life of Dawn Brancheau was just collateral damage, hell seeing how they handled the incident they were probably more concerned about the financial value of the whale as an attraction.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Couldn't agree more. When you get in the ocean and swim, you are now in the animals domain. You go from the top of the food chain to the bottom. Just because an animal is caged doesn't mean it isn't an animal anymore. They took a swim with a KILLER WHALE, don't know what they were expecting. Reminds me of the woman who got her face eaten off by a pet chimpanzee. These things ain't dogs or cats people. I personally feel worse for the whale than the trainer. I definitely send out my sympathy to the trainer's family though.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ventian

I actually find it funny and ironic when things like this happen. In my eyes they deserve every little bit of pain they feel before they croak. These are not good people they are scum and deserve it.

I wish they would dress their trainers up like seals and see how long they can last in the tank. This would be entertainment.

Just like bull riding and swimming with sharks and keeping exotic wild pets these people have it coming and do not feel sorry for them rejoice.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:38 AM
link   
We keep millions of human beings locked up in cages, don't give it a second's thought, and you're getting all worked up over a few circus whales in captivity and a dead hippie?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I agree with all. That's why I posted this, to get some discussion on the topic.

Every since I was taken to SeaWorld and saw Shammu, I felt terrible for these beautiful creatures. All the speices.

Im going whale watching in August in Canada for petes sake. Little bit hesitent now. lol.

Anyway, be sure to flag so we can get attention to this one and keep on the main board. I am hoping to get some debate but I think most will feel like we do and it will slide off the board
(

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by walking_virus
We keep millions of human beings locked up in cages, don't give it a second's thought, and you're getting all worked up over a few circus whales in captivity and a dead hippie?

Wow were to start. Well here it goes most people in jail did something to warrant them being put in there in the first place. What exactly did the animals do.

To use this analogy is pretty weak in my mind you are comparing apples and oranges. It is hard for me to argue with this kind of logic no offence. Also are inmates putting on a show every half an hour?

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Subjective Truth]

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:46 AM
link   
WOW! This is shocking!

They should call it a Murderer Whale! That would hopefully get the message across to people that it's not a cuddly, harmless animal. Ya know?

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Kaytagg]

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Kaytagg]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72
[more

I wish I had more then one flag to give you.
This kind of freak show needs to stop.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:47 AM
link   
When I was a teenager in the early 80's, I had the pleasure of seeing Tilikum perform in Canada. Years later, I heard on the news of a trainers death involving him and another of the whales. The report at the time said that Canada had passed legislation, where they would no longer have whales perform in their country, and would relocate the whales somewhere else. I always wondered what had become of the whales, until the day this tragedy happened.

It's a shame that Tilikum was not rehabilitated for the sea release. Does anyone know of the fate of the other whale that performed in British Columbia. I think they performed in Stanley Park.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:19 AM
link   
The main reasons zoos and aqua parks exist are entertainment and profit, nothing to do with the survival of a species..

Though this might sound harsh, killer whales would be even better off extinct than to live a life like this.

These creatures swim thousands of miles with a social life and they get locked up in an aquarium.

I would go
too.

And like said before in this topic, why did they let this continue?

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Grey Magic]

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Grey Magic]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 04:48 AM
link   
I use to see them in the wild quite often, but the past few years I haven't spent much time on or near the water. They are beautiful and travel in Pods that are essentially a family that can number from a few to a few dozen. They chase and eat salmon, sea lions and they even attacked and possibly killed a Grey whale that was witnessed by a whale watching boat full of tourists a few weeks ago.

The Orca in question Tilikum came from this area and was at one time an hour north of me at another park in Vancouver B.C. where it killed one or two others before it was sold or transferred to its current location. They got rid of it because it was killing people, but since it's worth millions of dollars they won't free it or kill it.

Wild animals that usually travel miles in a day locked up in jail pools and they wonder why they have behavioral problems - that cause them to want to kill the keepers who kill their spirit.

When I lived in CA in my childhood I do remember enjoying seeing them at Sea World, but now I not so sure that it is a good idea. It's a good learning tool, but I believe now that it is exploitation for the purpose of greed at the expense of the animals and with Tilikum several human lives.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
I think ive mentioned this before but ill say it again.

My sister used to go animal care at college a few years back. One of her tutors used to work at seaworld orlando. and she will never go back. Long story short. They used funding on some vending machines in the staff room or whatever. and because of this, they lost half of the sea turtles.

So yeah, I think they should realise that animal where he belongs. Back into the wild. Orcas are natorius for not doing well in captivity, and this one is obvously not an exception.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Something tells me.. and I don't know.. hell.. I could be crazy for thinking this.. but something tells me a .... whale (technically a dolphin but uh, what ever) is not meant to live in a cage.. and jump through hoops.

It's not a play thing.

It's a damn KILLER whale for christs sake.

4 people died so idiotic Humans can climb into bleachers to be splashed by a enprisioned animal taken from it's natural habitat.

Kinda have a hard time feeling bad for people who think they can tame a 2 ton killer dolphin.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I agree. I hope the family goes ba--s to the wall and sue the heck out of them. Maybe their legal actions would get it stopped-at least the show style stuff.

I can understand some aquadic research set up-watch threw glass etc. Why expose the humans to them at all-at least no one would be dying.

top topics

join