It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Language, Spellbound.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I think our languages are spellbound. We should stop translating everything into language. Our language is bound to some sort of spell that has us all in a trance. Lets unlanguage how we interpret things and go back to just experience things as they are. Communication through empathy is fine.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

(did you feel my reply??)

Peace

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:17 AM
link   
The OP is absolutely correct!

One of the more obscene developments of academic thought in the past 100 years has been the semiotic doctrine that language is prior to mentation -- that is, the idea goes, if there is no symbol for something, there can be no mental activity related to it.

The idea was first proposed by Ferdinand de Saussure around 1910 or so. 1910! A long time ago indeed! Never mind that neuroscience has since shown, time and time, again that mentation can, and does, occur before and without verbal or symbolic systems! No, admitting that would undermine the many, many academic careers based on blind worship of Sassure and his lineage (Foucault, Derrida, etc.), generally known as the "postmodernists."

Over-embrace of postmodernism lurks behind many ills in society. One example is the obsessive, almost hysterical focus on words rather than intentions in the puritainical verbal policing known as "political correctness." If symbols and language are prior to thought, say the postmodernists, then the words one uses are more important than than the speaker's true intentions. So never mind trying to understand what people might really have in their hearts! Goodness, no! Let's instead hammer them to smithereens based on use or misuse of a deadly buzzword or two!

The OP is correct. It is time to move beyond verbal obsession and reach out to others on a level that embraces but also goes beyond words, to look into the true hearts of those with whom we communicate. Anyone who has struggled to learn a second or third language knows that the only way to make the leap to true fluency is by doing this -- intensely focusing on the body language, emotion, and intention as well as on the mere words. And same goes for those watching or teaching a baby to learn to speak.

Communication is always more than words.

[edit on 4/30/10 by silent thunder]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:22 AM
link   

I believe you mean; "let's stop being human and go back to being animals".

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:55 AM
link   
No the OP is correct, i have thought this through aswell. . . I know exactly what he means. It goes very deep and it's hard to understand, but indeed language shelters us from the real world. It brings the illusion of knowledge where there is none. Language and words destroy our vision completely, atleast the way we've build it.

I wanna congratulate you OP, you see what i see, but i don't think anyone will grasp the importance of this in a VERY LONG time but it warms my heart to see there are other people outthere who has seen this.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
All that is well and good, but we have enough misperception as it is. I know as well as I'm sitting here that 10 people can see an event, and several will see different things. The problem is not language, or communication as such, but the lack of precision in our use of language in that communication. Not everyone has the same language skills, and the problems only get bigger if you try to keep things on an empath level. Certainly, mentation comes before language, but eliminating language would be like trying to do math without numbers and symbols. It's all about precision, folks!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
i wonder if this is why monk only talk when considered nessasary.

"Strict Observance" refers to the Trappists' aim at following closely St. Benedict's Rule, and take the three vows described in his Rule (c. 58): stability, fidelity to monastic life, and obedience. As Benedict also insisted on silence, it has some importance in their way of life. However, contrary to popular belief,they do not take a vow of silence.[4] Trappist monks will generally only speak when necessary, and idle talk is strongly discouraged. In years past, a Trappist Sign Language, distinct from other forms of monastic sign language, was developed to dissuade speaking. Meals are usually taken in contemplative silence, as members of the order are supposed to listen to a reading [5]. Trappists' silence should be understood as the wish to give space to what matters: gaining a deeper love and understanding of God.

this is from wiki

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
No words bring the illusion of knowledge.

Especially unhealthy for children asking questions :

"Daddy daddy what's the big bright yellow ball of light in the sky?" "Oh sonny, that's JUST the sun, a big ball of fire that we spin around because of gravity."

And now that kid will think the mystery is solved and that big bright mystery turn into, JUST the sun ... Nothing special. Just a big ball of fire.

The matter of the fact is that noone has any clue what the sun is, what fire is, why it burns, why chemichal reactions work the way they do, but they all are DELUDED to think they have an answer, when all they have is fancy ways of saying "I have no idea". But to the child, the mystery of life is slowly picked apart and normalized. The kids brain is misled and numbed by all these fake answers, it is like the OP says put in a trance, a state of mind that is dominated by fear and the army of the people with the answers are ready to come down hard on anyone who would try to expose their complete and utter ignorance of anything around them.

We make the illusion of knowledge of the universe with our language while all we really do is make up words to hide our complete and utter ignorance. To shelter us from the fact that we are humble little beings in a huge mystery.

And yes, to the guy talking about monks. You are spot on.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by JustAThought

Exactly my point. Lets get to work and create the new symbols. I have posted this before. We need to add a level of complexity to each shape in order for the shape to communicate the proper terms. It may also increase our telepathic ability. I have already started thinking about it. The problem will be deciphering what they already mean, and how many exist already. Mybe we can hook someone into a brain scanner and show them different symbols and shapes and see how their brain reacts.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Exactly my point. Lets get to work and create the new symbols.

yes, yes, down with language....let's create a new set of symbols....????

You are funny!!

Peace

top topics

join