It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The recent Gulf Coast oil spill...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Was this on purpose to curb the off shore drilling debate thats been heating up for some time? Or is this just something normal and no need to look into further?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Goethe

Nothing really 'normal' about it. First of all, they don't even know what caused the initial explosion that caused the leak. Second, how the hell please tell me do you build a rig with the potential to do this, and not have any safeguard in place should an explosion or tipover from a storm for that matter, take place???

This is going to turn into a nightmare of a disaster, what we see right now is only the tip of the iceberg. I am remebering the words in revalations when I saw the spill from an arial shot: that a 'third of the waters would become as blood, and a third of the creatures in the sea will die, and a third of ships will be no more'

Just sayin.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:24 AM
link   
We had an oil spill not too long ago also, I've seen little news coverage of the one in the states though.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Goethe

It certainly isn't something that happens every day, if that is what you mean by normal. The economic losses to the Gulf coast will be astronomical, and most saddly the death of wild life.

It seems a lot of folks at BP have some explaining to do, especially if the cause of this tragedy is not discovered.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

It might have been some internal eco-terrorist who got ahead of himself?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
reply to post by Goethe

Nothing really 'normal' about it. First of all, they don't even know what caused the initial explosion that caused the leak. Second, how the hell please tell me do you build a rig with the potential to do this, and not have any safeguard in place should an explosion or tipover from a storm for that matter, take place???

Coming from a country where Oil is pretty much the only economic activity we have, accidents happens, machinery is machinery, is not perfect, human error, bad maintenance, maybe they ignore safety protocols, or just little mistakes, is not really so incredible.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Sickening indeed.... It's hilarious to watch the media spin doctors keep changing their stories... Originally it "wasn't that bad" and can be cleaned up immediately... Then it turned in to "one leak with 1000 bbls a day leaking" and now it's 5,000 bbls a day and coming on shore as we speak... In my opinion, it's probably leaking FAR more than 5000 bbls a day ... If that number is true (and I'm sure it's far less than what is REALLY leaking) that is 155,000 gallons..

Regardless, with the technology that is out there and WHO KNOWS what exists behind the veil this is an avoidable disaster that we shouldn't even be talking about .... If it were not for the astronomical amounts of money being made off of this, it wouldn't even be an issue and the use of fossil fuels would be null ...

Incredibly sad ... Let's see if we see any of the "drill baby drill" oil tycoons holding a party on the shore line this week..

When are we gonna wake up

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

There is actually a very straightforward reason behind the explosion which occurred on the rig and the resulting damage which sunk it, although why this has not been included on MSM I do not know (haven't been watching/reading).

Anyways, when drilling exploratory wells (keep in mind that the rig was not 'producing', merely drilling wells to establish production) the rig drilled into a pocket of natural gas which likely was not foreseen by the geologists who would have analysed the area of the seabed into which the rig was drilling. It goes without saying that, as these pockets of gas and oil are so deep beneath the surface of the earth, they are kept under extreme (and I do mean absolutely extreme) pressures. When this happened, the drillers on the rig were plainly not expecting it and, as a result, highly pressurised natural gas/oil (I can't recall which it was that triggered the initial explosion...probably natural gas) shot up through the drill-string and caused severe damage on the rigfloor (anyone seen "There Will Be Blood"? there would have been massive damage as seen in the 'blowout' scene in that film).

Anyways, there is indeed a means to prevent this thing happening (look up the 'Piper Alpha' disaster, blowouts can be incredibly deadly), called Blow-Out Preventers, which are essentially massive hydraulic rams sat on the seabed through which the drillstring passes which cut and seal off the pipes leading to the rig by means of powerful hydraulic shears. In the instant case, the hydraulics failed to activate in time to prevent the blowout reaching the surface, hence the explosion and the sinking of the rig.

For anyone more interest, any google or wikipedia search of 'blowout' should provide you with more than ample supplementary information.

I do not think that there was in any way whatosever a conspiracy behind this accident, as in the aftermath, large oil companies have been stepping up their safety procedures and sending staff away for safesty courses, as well as having begun to pursue alternate technologies in the prevention of blowouts (the engineering of which I am involved with).

Hope this adds some clarity.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Ouroborus2012

There certainly isn't anybody partying incidentally. That particular rig was worth 700 million dollars (on loan to BP from a parent company), and given that 11 men were killed, the lawsuits and monetary damage incurred from this accident will be astronomical, particularly when coupled with the appalling amounts of bad press oil companies have been taking as a result. Why on earth would you think that oilmen would be celebrating loss of men, machine, and the thing that actually makes them money (oil)?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by duality90
reply to post by Ouroborus2012

There certainly isn't anybody partying incidentally. That particular rig was worth 700 million dollars (on loan to BP from a parent company), and given that 11 men were killed, the lawsuits and monetary damage incurred from this accident will be astronomical, particularly when coupled with the appalling amounts of bad press oil companies have been taking as a result. Why on earth would you think that oilmen would be celebrating loss of men, machine, and the thing that actually makes them money (oil)?

Perhaps you misread what I wrote on my comment or simply saw what you wanted to see to give you an excuse to go on a rant... I mentioned nothing of people celebrating anything to do with the loss of the rig or life... I was referring to people chanting to build more and more oil rigs in our oceans when we could be finding better/safer alternatives.... Hence, no death and no oil spills ...

Furthermore, I could give a crap about the monetary damage incurred by the oil companies as they have soaked enough money out of the people of the world...

Put what you read in to perspective and read a little closer before you go on an assault in defense of the oil companies...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by space cadet
This is going to turn into a nightmare of a disaster, what we see right now is only the tip of the iceberg. I am remebering the words in revalations when I saw the spill from an arial shot: that a 'third of the waters would become as blood, and a third of the creatures in the sea will die, and a third of ships will be no more'

I understand that "the sea" is meant in a metaphorical manner. It means people in turbulence. 1/3 being blood...whereas "blood" means resources of sustainment. (They will be used for their resources and plundered). 1/3 of the creatures in the sea will die...whereas "creatures in the sea" are those who are creating the turbulent waves. 1/3 of the ships will be no more, whereas "the ships" will be strong institutions and corporations that have been contributing to the rape of the planet.

However, I strongly suspect that a literal aspect will be played out in order to orchestrate or "fit" the scriptures for those who do not ascribe to the metaphorical content.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Goethe

Mark my words they are going to pin this oil spill to terrorism or something like that. They want to wash their hands big time. They are also already taking steps to do that as we speak.

These people care nothing of the truth or the facts it is all about image and power.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:50 AM
link   
White House Says No New Offshore Drilling Until Investigation is Complete.

abcnews.go.com...

This is sounding like not such an accident. Timing is too good with the approval of new drilling.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by 2ndFUTURE]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Duality90 you said

In the instant case, the hydraulics failed to activate in time to prevent the blowout reaching the surface, hence the explosion and the sinking of the rig.

The blow-out preventers failed to trigger in time. Does this mean that they are irreperably damaged now and cannot be reactivated?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Why have SWAT teams been sent to all the rigs? Something smells fishy and it's not the fish.
more words.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by xizd1]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Please direct further comments to this thread

There are too many threads on this topic already and any new threads will be closed and redirected like this one.

thank you.

new topics

top topics

join