It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

octopi, the sea's magnificent invertebrates

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Now to many experts on octopi already know how special they are to the evolution on intelligent life. From being able in less then a second change the color and texture of their body, to acting like other predators to be avoided from attacked from their own predators. octopi are surely some of the brightest sea creatures in the dark seas.
"here's a video changing his appearance (even the texture of it's body) to hide from predators"

"another great video of one intimating other sea creatures"

"and last but not least! An octopus that carry's a coconut shell around"

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Plural is actually octopi.
Just thought I'd let ya know.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Thanks for letting me know. I knew something was misspelled.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:36 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Now that is one smart octopus.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Amazing creature indeed.

The one thing what keeps them from dominating the seas is that they die after reproducing ofspring.

Thanks for posting. S&F.

PS.
Have you seen my Orca thread ? ( Link in signature.)
Also amazing creatures.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Shopping at the Vic Market in Melbourne, I tried all the foods made be "ethnic" stall holders, and grew to love the Greek pickled octopus, and got the recipe for it.

So I went to the fish section to buy an octopus. One seller had a nice bunch of them, still wriggling. He asked which I wanted, so I pointed out a nice fat one in the middle of this pulsating bunch. However I never bought it. The octopus I'd pointed to raised itself on its tentacles and opened a huge eye, staring at me with such contempt that I couldn't go ahead with killing and eating such an intelligent creature.

I still eat pickled octopus sometimes, but I always feel guilty when I do, remembering this alien creature at the market and how disgusted it seemed to be with octopus eaters.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Their central nervous system isn't really a central nervous system. It travels throughout the entire body of the mollusk. They are actually considered to be the smartest of all invertebrates.

As you can see in this image the Octopus does have a brain, but you will notice several spinal cord equivalents that are actually extensions of the brain itself.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by DaMod]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
That is REALLY sick!
All my class is like "what the hell" "how",etc.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Mmmmm....Octopus....Cooked long and slow in a tomato, onion, garlic and saffron stew...red and yellow peppers, herbs...plenty of garlic...lots of crusty bread and a couple of glasses of vino to wash it down...

Superb

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

Great thread, octopi are truly remarkable creatures - there are some good tales below involving them being caught juggling with hermit crabs and even eating sharks!

An octopus has caused havoc in his aquarium by performing juggling tricks using his fellow occupants, smashing rocks against the glass and turning off the power by shortcircuiting a lamp.

"Once we saw him juggling the hermit crabs in his tank, another time he threw stones against the glass damaging it. And from time to time he completely re-arranges his tank to make it suit his own taste better - much to the distress of his fellow tank inhabitants."

Otto the octopus goes on rampage!

Cheers.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Octopi are holding on to more secrets.

They gave us one for free anyway.

The Octopus really got people surprised indeed.
Eating sharks or just killing them was not an expected event.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
The first video was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen a creature do...ever! I'm simply in awe right now.

When I saw the beginning of the video I was like "where is the octopus. I don't see an octopus." (my sound was turned down, btw). Then BAM! there he was. Even going backward in slow motion, I still can't make out the octopus.

Wow, what amazing creatures indeed. Thanks for this.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
I never knew a animal can be so creative like this. This is awesome!!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Wow, those are some AWESOME videos! Thanks you guys!!

new topics

top topics

join