It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spirulina and Chlorella...anyone use these or have information???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:15 PM
link   
So I'm sure if anyone watched the History channel ancient aliens special recently, you heard them talk about Chlorella. It has nothing to do with aliens....but they did talk about it in one of the segments. I had never heard of it before, so thought I would look it up.

After looking into it awhile I have become interested in possibly trying both Chlorella and Spirulina...seems like the two are always talked about together.

I'm not a big supplement guy...I don't like vitamins and the only supplement I take on a semi-regular basis is fish oil. Even that I haven't been taken lately...not for any special reason though...just haven't. So I am very hesitant to start taking something that I don't know much about.

So I think I have read all I can about it on the internet...so I just thought I would throw this out here as a way to get information from ATS to see who knows about it, who is/has taken either of these, and what, if any, side effects or dangers there are.

Some of the claims are the sort of "too good to be true" so I just wanted to get some peoples thoughts.

Below I put up some links for people that don't know much about it along with a a brief description of them.

Chlorella

Description from WebMD

Chlorella is a type of algae that grows in fresh water. The whole plant is used to make nutritional supplements and medicine.

Most of the chlorella that is available in the U.S. is grown in Japan or Taiwan. It is processed and made into tablets and liquid extracts. These extracts contain "chlorella growth factor," which is described as a water-soluble extract of chlorella containing chemicals including amino acids, peptides, proteins, vitamins, sugars, and nucleic acids.

Be aware that chlorella products can vary significantly depending on the way “the crop” used to make them was cultivated, harvested, and processed. Investigators have found that dried preparation of chlorella can contain from 7% to 88% protein, 6% to 38% carbohydrate, and 7% to 75% fat.

As a medicine, chlorella is used for preventing cancer, reducing radiation treatment side effects, stimulating the immune system, improving response to flu vaccine, increasing white blood cell counts (especially in people with HIV infection or cancer), preventing colds, protecting the body against toxic metals such as lead and mercury, and slowing the aging process.

Chlorella is also used to increase “good” bacteria in the intestine in order to improve digestion; and to help treat ulcers, colitis, Crohn's disease, and diverticulosis.

Some people also use chlorella for the prevention of stress-related ulcers; treatment of constipation, bad breath, and hypertension; as an antioxidant; to reduce cholesterol; to increase energy; to detoxify the body; and as a source of magnesium to promote mental health, relieve premenstrual syndrome (PMS), and reduce asthma attacks. It is also used for fibromyalgia.

More Information about Chlorella:

www.chlorellafactor.com

Chlorella Facts

Chlorella Facts and Testimonials

www.spirulinachlorella.com

Spirulina

Description from www.spirulinachlorella.com :

Spirulina is classified as blue - green algae. It is one of a diverse group of microscopic plants rarely used for food. Spirulina is the exception. During the last 20 years Spirulina has been rediscovered as a potent food source and nutritional supplement.

It grows wild in warm fresh water ponds and lakes, high in mineral salts. Under the microscope it is made up of tiny spirals, hence the name. It is now being cultivated all over the world, and is being consumed in over 75 countries. It is being celebrated as the most powerful health food supplement bar none.

More information about Spirulina

Chlorella Factor

www.spirulinachlorella.com

WebMD Article

Any information would be greatly appreciated...I really don't like to start taking anything new like this without hearing some first hand accounts of people's experiences.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I've started taking Spirulina supps. They are great, give me heaps more energy. The only issue i know of with Spirulina is that you have to be very careful where it is grown as it sucks up all the pollution/heavy metals etc from its environment. I take stuff grown at a pollution free farm near Darwin AU.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
i have used Spirulina before, in powder form it is great stuff. basically just made me fell good... more energy i guess.
Problem is it taste and smelt like fish food, hard to swallow especially at first, but you do get use to it.
I stopped taking it because of the price, at the time it was about $70 for a small tub (last about 1 month) at my health food store, that was a few years ago, I should look into it again i forgot all about this stuff.

Also to add to your info about Spirulina:
It is a whole food, unlike multivitamins and similar products so your body absorbs much in comparison. I have also read that it stimulates brain function.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:53 PM
link   
reply to post by JaquVanCouger

Heheh yup it does smell n taste pretty bad
Thats why i take the tabs.

Here's the guys i buy mine off:

Australian Spirulina

The owner was very friendly and answered my email questions personally.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Funk bunyip

Do you buy this online? If so..can you U2U me the website?

But no digestive problems...that is the only thing I've read online along with some nausea at the beginning...but that was more with Chlorella.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
www.asianhealingartscenter.com...

For more information, please read : The Secrets of Spirulina, Medical Discoveries of Japanese Doctors, edited by Christopher Hills, PH.D., D.SC.

That's really the definitive spirulina book -- spirulina has photoelectric properties.

I've taken it -- your dreams become vivid color!!

www.amazon.com...=cm_cmu_pg_t

[edit on 29-4-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JaquVanCouger

Haha..yeah...i read it taste less than good...to put it nicely.

And yep...it is expensive isn't it...I guess I would want to know if it is worth it...but if you are looking into buying it again...I guess it is

And yeah...I should of not called it a supplement...I think every website makes sure to say it is a food and not a supplement.

Thanks for the info.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by drew hempel

Hey Drew, i emailed my local guys with regards to the k2 content in Spirulina that we were talking about somewhere and this is the reply they sent:

Hi *****, In Australia, Spirulina been rank as " food type supplement" , thus none of any medical claimed will be legal. Vitamin K2 is most likely on special medical calimed, we are not able to do it as others, as this is not legal in our country. Yes, Spirulina does contain some K2, unfortunately only very small volume, in our opinion, this amount is not good enough to make any different, thus we did not show this on our website, or related analysis reports. We sold our Spirulina as a natural food supplement, not a medicine. You may found 100 brands of Spirulina in market, but only less than 5 countries actually growing Spirulina,and only few supplier provided good quality product and honest information to customers, what we told are true only , and we don't exaggerated as others. Thank you!

Regards
Bell Huang
Australian Spirulina
TAAU Australia Pty Ltd
Tel: 618 8988 6566
Fax : 618 8988 6627
Email: bell@taau.com.au
Web: www.taau.com.au

I'm guessing they are Asian Australian and English isn't their first language
But anyways from what they say, there really isn't much k2 in spirulina.. I started taking it anyways though after ready about it coz of all the other benefits!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Funk bunyip

Yeah I doubt they're aware of this new study on K2 -- maybe due to the language difference?

www.news-medical.net...

Although even if they are aware looks like they are being overly careful due to the increasing regulations -- like WALNUTS! haha. Walnuts are now a DRUG!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
So do any of you that have been taking Spirulina have any experience or information about Chlorella?

It seems to be newer on the scene...but being talked about being as good or better than Spirulina.

Thanks for all the information to all who have responded so far.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
super blue-green algae from klamath falls, oregon.
very healthy, primitive stuff.....

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

Actually chlorella is older than spirulina for intake as a health supplement but there was some poisoning from chlorella.

Spirulina is a traditional food in Africa -- it grows naturally in the lakes -- and was used in Central America as well.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
If you do get either make sure it is BROKEN CELL. If it is not broken cell, your odds in absorbing it fully are extremely low, most of it going to waste just like pill supplements. The cell walls are tough and can easily survive the stomach & upper intestine, but your mileage may vary. There's two methods of breaking the cells, one is rapid pressure fluctuation using air compression/vacuum and the other is crushing. The pressurization method is by far the most effective and less likely to be contaminated.

I bought some 5 kilo containers of broken cell chlorella online from an Australian distributor. It was expensive but so are pill form supplemental vitamins.

There's some debate as to which is better, though they are practically the same, but I prefer Chlorella.

I suggest getting a good blender/magic bullet and pre blending/bottling a gallon of juice at a time, get rid of or stop buying other juices unless you are just going to blend them in. Use any type of fruit / veggies but make sure not to exceeed 5% of the total volume of the juice / smoothie with the broken cell powder or you will gross yourself out with the smell / taste. It's a powerful taste & smell and if not blended to near excess it will clump like badly mixed gravy/mud/snot combo. For real!

If going with the broken cell powder, DO NOT take a spoonful and try to eat it by itself. You will choke as all your saliva is stolen from you for an hour-EASY! This stuff is like a SUPER SPONGE and would otherwise be more suitable for super absorbent diapers!!!

A teaspoon of it in a 8 oz smoothie is plenty, anymore than that and the taste is ruined. But if you are daring, use more and mix in some strong tasting vegetables and fruit to counteract the harsh taste. Perhaps some acids like lemon, lime, grapefruit etc.

It is great nutrition but only if you get it in broken cell form. You just can't absorb it properly otherwise.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

Thanks for the info....that's good stuff.

I do have a magic bullet...that thing rocks...so maybe I'll try some powder to blend and some pills...see which I like better.

Do you have any comments on the benefits or any unexpected side effects from either chlorella or spirulina?

Seems like Australia may be the place to get it...anyone have any other suggestions about where to get it?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

Yeah I was going to say the same thing -- the pills will pass right through you! So I always used the spirulina powder.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

There shouldn't be any side effects. It's basically like any other plant life, just SUPER SUPER RICH. You might notice some discoloration when doing a "number 2" LOL!!! It's extremely concentrated chlorophyll basically, almost green-black in color.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I'm taking a protein drink with these ingredients now. I honestly hadn't heard of them before, and they are not why I bought this particular drink. I bought it for my wife, because it was Gluten Free, but she hates the taste (it is horrible) so now I am stuck drinking it!

Anyhow, thanks for all the info. I haven't noticed anything significant from it, or maybe I have, its hard to say, because I am also doing a new work out, eating less, drinking more water. Who knows why I feel the way I do, but I have lost 10 pounds over the past 2 weeks!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I took Chlorella (few months supplement) during my teenage years.

Now in my late 20s, there are positive differences. I have
1. increased metabolism - whatever food/drink I consume, burn fast
2. slim body always
3. seldom get sick (I keep asking why do people even sneeze/cough too much in public)

I'm not sure if it's due to Chlorella but just expressing my views.

PS: I seldom exercise too.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Oh yeah spirulina is considered the key for fasting because it is digested not through oxidation but directly through mitochondria use of the glucose. So there is no need to reconvert the glucose back from the glycogen stored in the liver. This means you don't get the lactic acid build up when working out as happens with normal glucose digestion.

That's a crucial SECRET to spirulina. Yeah I gotta get back on this stuff. But any high chlorophyll diet should help significantly. What makes spirulina different is that is has a more primitive cell structure than plants -- but in some ways it's more like animal protein.

www.americanaquariumproducts.com...

Spirulina is different from other algae and is similar to bacteria in many ways, occupying a niche between plants and bacteria. Spirulina is similar to cyanobacteria in structure (spiral shape, unlike true plant plankton), which can be toxic. Spirulina Blue- Green algae are recognized by the body (fish in particular) as a bacterium, causing an increase in antibodies, which in turn increases disease resistance. Spirulina is not Chlorella (the blue-green algae harvested from Klamath Lake, Oregon). Chlorella is a green micro-algae and does not have the same anti-viral, anti-cancer and immune stimulating properties of Spirulina. The Chlorella cell wall is made of indigestible cellulose, just like green grass, while the cell wall of Spirulina is made of complexed proteins and sugars. Spirulina has a soft cell wall made of complex sugars and protein, and is different from most other algae in that it is more easily digested. Spirulina is also high in usable or digestible amino acids (the building blocks of proteins); proteins from cereal and soy are not as digestible by fish as the amino acids found in spirulina. Spirulina provides all the required amino acids, and in a form that is five times easier to digest than meat or soy protein.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by drew hempel]

posted on Jun, 2 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I came across your article. I recommend anyone that can afford Chlorella and Spirulina to atleast try it for 1 month minimum!! I believe this is a miracle food. First thing I want to share is my grandmother, she was diagnosed with esophageal cancer in the summer of 04' which she beat.. but this past october she was diagnosed again with stage 4 lung cancer that had spread throughout her chest and was in her left femur. She went ahead and requested requested treatment because she trusted it since it worked the first time, during her second treatment she had a stroke and we almost lost her but her being the fighter she is she went ahead for that third treatment which had the same results with another stroke but this time she swears shes thought that was it so my mom finally talk her into taking the alternative route and trying something natural. She cam across spirulina and Chlorella so grandma has been on that since about december. She is back to her old self and she went in for her scan and guess what.. THE CANCER HAS REDUCED.. she also only eats organic now and uses a juicer daily as well.. I decided to start taking this because I figure if its helping with her cancer it helps prevent as well.. her doctor was shocked and asked her what she was doing.. I have been on it for just under a month and my acne is clearing up almost all the way gone.. ive been battling it for the past 3 years with antibiotics and topical gels which have done nothing but worsen it. I have read it helps neutralize your bodys PH balance and when your neutralized its RARE for health problems and diseases.. I have also noticed some weight loss.. im not over weight by any means but ive noticed my "pooch" go down. I recommend this just to keep your body balanced.. the way I see it is.. would you rather pay $56 dollars every few months.. or thousands in medical bills down the road? I literally pay $56 dollars for a 3 months supply of chlorella and 6 month supply of spirulina.. so for that amount your paying about 15 dollars a month to stay healthy.. Not only does it keep you balanced you can replace meals with it if your trying to be on a diet.. its considered food and have massice protein in it!! Great for food storage also! I will add the links to where I buy mine and a REALLY good article on it thats worth the read for your personal info, and print it off and share it with those you love!

www.truthpublishing.com...
-Article on CHlorella & Spirulina MUST READ**

www.swansonvitamins.com...
-Chlorella Link!!

www.swansonvitamins.com...
-Spirulina link!!

I buy one box of chlorella and 2 bottles of spirulina which comes out to $56 and some odd change! I got it within 3 days with no extra shipping charge. I hope this reply helps make your decision and you use the links I added to your advantage it is a life changing food!

p.s. I take the tablets and it works just as well for me.. I cant STAND the powder. But the tablets have worked amazing as well, and there small enough I pop 6 tablets 3-4 time per day and than I take anywhere from1-4 tablets of spirulina throughout the day. You can take them all at once but I prefer to spread it out, I have read thats the most beneficial way to take it. Enjoy and please take advantage, I posted this for a reason

"LET FOOD BE THY MEDICINE"

Hippocrates (460 BC - 377 BC)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join