It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama, Dems take "Immigration Reform" off agenda (AP)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
If anyone can take Barack Obama or Nancy Pelosi at their words anymore, then immigration reform will not be an issue much longer. Obama has told reporters that he has bigger fish to fry (probably banking and finance to take advantage of the Goldman-Sachs "crisis" and cover the Fed and Geithner; and climate and energy to take advantage of another "crisis too good to waste" in the Gulf of Mexico).

Immigration reform has become the first of President Barack Obama's major priorities dropped from the agenda of an election-year Congress facing voter disillusionment. Sounding the death knell was Obama himself.

The president noted that lawmakers may lack the "appetite" to take on immigration while many of them are up for re-election and while another big legislative issue - climate change - is already on their plate.

AP: Obama takes immigration off agenda

From the same article:

By Wednesday, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi offered little hope that the issue was still alive on Capitol Hill.

"If there is going to be any movement in this regard, it will require presidential leadership, as well as an appetite, is that the word? ... as well as a willingness to move forward in the Congress," she said.

House Republican leader John Boehner was more blunt. "There is not a chance that immigration is going to move through the Congress," he said Tuesday.

Watch for the pressure to mount for Senate action on the stalled climate bill and for a hard push for federal control of banking and finance as Obama turns his sights to two convenient "crises" to take advantage of.

jw

[edit on 29-4-2010 by jdub297]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
It is no secret why they are doing this.
It is a mid-term election year and the Dems
dont wanna loose any more seats.

However I hate to tell them
inaction is just as bad as bad action
and their seats are gone anyway.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by boondock-saint]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I wish I could say that Im suprised, But Im not.

This is why States have got to take care of certain issues themselves, because there is WAYY too much corruption on the federal level to get anything done, especially with this administration and the one prior to it.

Enjoy the presidency while you can Obama, you wont be there much longer.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Apparently the "status quo" is now acceptable to the Obama administration, at least in regard to the immigration issue.

Wow, they have no problem wasting trillions of dollars, and ramming through unpopular costly and dangerous legislation... among many other things... But the immigration issue is too much for them?

Amazing.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

I hate to tell them

"Laying low" is not the right response when you've already been caught.
They've already marked themselves for elimination with their self-serving, party-subservient actions, instead of standing up for their true constituents.

Playing Obama's game got him what he's wanted, but it is way too late to try to be inconspicuous for the spineless legislators of any party who will not pay attention to the voters with a stake in this country, instead of the ones who were bought-in, or to the MSM.

jw

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Obama can't win on this issue with a certain group.

If he says he is going to push immigration reform...then he will be attacked because everyone knows this will tie up congress for a long time just like healthcare did. He will be say he is just trying to push his agenda and not focusing on other important things like financial reform.

If he says he is going to wait on immigration reform (like he did)...you will get exactly what you are getting in this thread. He is ignoring the issue, he is keeping the status quo, he is playing politics because of midterm elections.

He can't win with one group of people...they will oppose anything he does.

I'm mixed on the issue...I would like to see him push immigration reform...although not the solution that most here on ATS would like...but will get to that when it comes. But I also want to see this financial reform bill go through. But I don't want cap and trade to ever get through. So for me...the ideal situation would be to pass financial reform then start in on immigration...put cap and trade on the back burner and hopefully more data comes out by then that shows "global warming" is junk science.

That's just my opinion...pretty sure I pissed off both sides...so this should be fun.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
This is very strange. In the past, the "hot button" topics were front and center, during an election year. Of course, each time illegal immigration was the topic, nothing was accomplished. Then, as soon as the elections are over, the issue is allowed to go by the wayside. The Republicans used border security and illegal immigration, then got amnesia.

But now, it is being dropped just a few months before the election? Strange times, indeed.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by WTFover]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
What I see happening is Immigration Reform will be repackaged into something else. He won't risk losing all those votes. Watch his other hand folks.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Common Good

This is why States have got to take care of certain issues themselves, because there is WAYY too much corruption on the federal level to get anything done, especially with this administration and the one prior to it.

Couldn't say it better. Obama and the Progressives have tried to federalize much of what should be states' responsibility, and it is a disaster.

When the people of their respective states stand up for states' rights this November, maybe we can begin to undo decades of harm done by bureaucrats who thought D.C. knows best for everyone or that "one size fits all."

jw

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

the immigration issue is too much for them?

This issue is not as important as getting federal hands deeper into the pockets of the public or taking as much control away from the states as they can.

Since the feds already own this issue, this is really just a policy question over enforcement rather than forcing a political/social agenda upon the states.

jw

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint
It is no secret why they are doing this.
It is a mid-term election year and the Dems
dont wanna loose any more seats.

However I hate to tell them
and their seats are gone anyway.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by boondock-saint]

I agree

However, this AZ bill is going to motivate the hell out of the base, provided
the unconstitutional portion of the right gets too comfortable with the rhetorical
goodness. Its already happening here on ATS, several days ago we were talking about illegals, now I am not sure if we are talking about illegals or genital herpes...
I have heard vermin, flees, ticks, rodents -

Before you guys bash me, this is what I see as an analyst not as a partisan.

Politically speaking the DEMS would be smart to let this go for the time being,
the rhetoric will get unsavory as it does...

Also let the GOP do as much "banks need to be free too" talk as possible.

Dems would not be smart to go after Cap and Trade at this point...

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Janky Red]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I don't see how he can sit there and say we aren't going to do anything about it and then turn around and rip on those who are trying to do something.

Didn't he say something along the lines during his health care reform that if you have something better he will look at it. If not then this is the route he is going to take?

Seems to me he needs to take his own advice and either help do something or sit there and not say anything at all.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297
reply to post by boondock-saint

I hate to tell them

"Laying low" is not the right response when you've already been caught.
They've already marked themselves for elimination with their self-serving, party-subservient actions, instead of standing up for their true constituents.

Playing Obama's game got him what he's wanted, but it is way too late to try to be inconspicuous for the spineless legislators of any party who will not pay attention to the voters with a stake in this country, instead of the ones who were bought-in, or to the MSM.

jw

You let your emotions paint your reality too much

and you are projecting how you feel

You fail to recognize that you guys are doing much of the buying in for Obama-

Because you agree with the rhetoric you will never know when you have driven past the money... There is a point were it will become detrimental for the GOPer's,
this immigration issue could really prove this hypothesis provided it goes on
much longer.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Of course, neither party actually wants to be the first to commit to a new plan of action. The Dem. Senate leadership has unveiled "an outline" of their political talking points, which is little different from the Republican proposals they (under Kennedy's leadership) killed in 2006 and 2007:

(from the same story)

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, whose campaign is struggling in heavily Hispanic Nevada, unveiled an outline - not legislation - on Thursday for an immigration bill at a packed news conference. Asked when it might advance, he declined to set an "arbitrary deadline."

If immigration goes nowhere this year, Democrats can blame Republican resistance, though in reality many Democrats didn't want to deal with an immigration bill this year either.

The Democrats' draft proposal, obtained by The Associated Press on Tuesday, called for, among other things, meeting border security benchmarks before anyone in the country illegally can become a legal permanent U.S. resident.

hosted.ap.org...

True reform will only have three components:

1. prosecution of employers of illegals
2. border security
3. dealing with resident illegals.

Until either party comes forward with a proposal to satisfactorily address these components, all we will get is rhetoric and more talking points.

jw

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Obama's not going to do anything with the issue right now... in other words - his experts in law got back with after perusing the Arizona immigration bill and told him that it is actually not unconstitutional, the way it's worded.

Second line.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sos37

So long as "stop and frisk" is the law of the land, the AZ legislation will not be vulnerable to constitutional (as opposed to partisan) challenge,

There may be isolated examples of abuse touted in the MSM, but "isolated examples" exist everywhere.

Anecdotes do not not a crisis make.

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by WTFover
This is very strange. In the past, the "hot button" topics were front and center, during an election year. Of course, each time illegal immigration was the topic, nothing was accomplished. Then, as soon as the elections are over, the issue is allowed to go by the wayside. The Republicans used border security and illegal immigration, then got amnesia.

But now, it is being dropped just a few months before the election? Strange times, indeed.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by WTFover]

Not very strange in terms of constituencies; who are they catering to?

In 2006 and 2007 the GOP introduced legislation, much like Reid's "talking points," that would have changed the game. Now, looking at an Hispanic majority, the rules are different.

Regardless of origin, most Hispanics poll in favor of "law and order;" isn't that what they came here for?

Rule of law will win out when the feds decide to take charge of the field they chose for themselves. I do not believe that they want to right now -- hence all the disputes.

jw

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Of all people, obama proves my point. The system is rigged for illegals to come here and work for less. Why do you think evrything in usa signs check outs etc is translated to spanish? These people set the system up this way why would they want to dismantle it now? Arizonas just trippin

[edit on 1-5-2010 by ponyboyats]

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ponyboyats

Since 99% of the kids on ATS can''t read, ant their mommies won't read to them anymore:

SB 1070 empowers local police officers to check the immigration status of individuals whom they have encountered during a “lawful contact.

The law also requires aliens to carry their immigration documents, mirroring an identical federal requirement. Failure to comply with the federal law on carrying immigration papers becomes a state misdemeanor under the Arizona law.

Too tough to understand? Too tough to comply? Go home.

jw

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

How is that even relevant to what I said? Little kid is u clinging to ur govt for protection

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join