It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long could you hide from the police state if you had to?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I have a great uncle that's been on the run from the law since something like the 80s, assuming he is still alive; the family hasn't had contact with him since about 1999 that I know of. Of course, all they want him for is forging a cheque for a couple thousand, so he isn't a high priority, but still, it can be done for years. I have no idea how he did it, since obviously I haven't had contact with him, but he did.

One thing to add; just make sure you don't have any contact with the government. I had another great uncle who applied for Canada pension when he turned 65, and when the government reviewed his file, they asked him so.... how come you haven't paid any taxes since before WWII? (which was true :p) Things did not go well for him after that... Now, obviously, that was really stupid, but what I'm saying is you have to be really careful what you do, all the time.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
i also think an ATV would be way more useful than a car. although youd have to be careful and swift.

once you've found your spot in the stix and your dug in its pretty much a waiting game, so substances can aid in helping time pass without getting uncomfortable/bored and risking exposure. sleeping takes alot of time but not energy (although i only recommend this once EVERYTHING else is done and double checked)

also hear acrylic is a good shield from flir. hopefully you'll have a water source near there and wont have to constantly leave your refuge..

alot of the big urbanized city sewers will be hot, true. but alot of suburban towns are built in ways the foreign FEMA troopers wont know about. alot of cities also have little canal/waterway runoffs that run all up and through the city. its better to travel through these instead of roads...you may have to hop a few fences.

i like the nooks and crannys suggestion, theres alot of hidden spots "off the map"...start paying attention and looking for them...the pot smokers shouldn't have a problem. consider local lore, and hangouts, and vantage points/info that the foreign troops wont have. this will become important intel.

this is why i said caves/mines etc. alot of old towns will have abandoned mines and quarry and "haunted caves" etc... stay away from anything that would be on a map.

good info so far

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Man this movie looks great! I cannot wait to see it. I think I'd have some really interesting ideas of places to hide. Although, if the entire city was looking for me, i doubt i would have anywhere to go on foot, unless i hide really good in my own city. I have seen how police look for missing people and criminals. They stop really slowly and check everyone out, plus unless i was a master of disguise, i doubt i would be able to fool law enforcement on foot anyway.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Its not a movie; its a uk documentary....

I could see it now;

The guy trys to make a fake attempt at hiding but leaves out a lot of crucial information;
And then MainStream Media will butt in and say he cant hide;
It is impossible because of this and that;
You are under total control of the government so dont even try;

I bet you 20 dollars

It is total propaganda......

here is the trailer for those who are curious

[edit on 29-4-2010 by DjSharperimage]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
This is simplicity.

The first rule of "going off the grid" and "dropping off the radar" — even in the Information Age — is to stop using cell phones, your real state-issued ID, check cards and credit cards.

I don't care if you're Dog the Bounty Hunter or Sherlock Holmes, if a fugitive is not participating in "The System," you will not find that fugitive.

Bring on the FBI, bring on the CIA, bring on Interpol... Even these highfalutin agencies can not find you if you refuse to participate in "The System"... Just that simple.

Second rule of dropping off the radar is to stop trying to contact your family, even by public payphone. Your family members will be monitored, and the calls easily traced back to your location.

Now, how do you survive like a "normal person" in a world that is feverishly searching for you?

Easy... You go where the authorities never search. You take on day labor, working elbow-to-elbow with illegal aliens, picking oranges or watermelons or whatever — they pay you in cash at the end of the day, no questions asked.

You take on the filthiest jobs on a day-by-day basis... Down at the docks, for example, hosing down the decks of commercial fishing boats. Again, they pay you in cash, you walk away without ever divulging your identity.

Or — and this is the time-honored method of disappearing — you go to work on the carnival circuit. Be warned, though, you'll be working shoulder-to-shoulder with fugitives of every stripe — murderers, drug runners, you name it.

I only know all this because I successfully dropped off the radar for 2 straight years, when people a lot worse than the government were searching for me.

I have many, many more tricks up my sleeve, but they wouldn't be tricks if I discussed them in a public forum.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 4/30/2010 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
This is simplicity.

The first rule of "going off the grid" and "dropping off the radar" — even in the Information Age — is to stop using cell phones, state-issued ID, check cards and credit cards.

I don't care if you're Dog the Bounty Hunter or Sherlock Holmes, if a fugitive is not participating in "The System," you will not find that fugitive.

Bring on the FBI, bring on the CIA, bring on Interpol... Even these highfalutin agencies can not find you if you refuse to participate in "The System"... Just that simple.

Second rule of dropping off the radar is to stop trying to contact your family, even by public payphone. Your family members will be monitored, and the calls easily traced back to your location.

Now, how do you survive like a "normal person" in a world that is feverishly searching for you?

Easy... You go where the authorities never search. You take on day labor, working elbow-to-elbow with illegal aliens, picking oranges or watermelons or whatever — they pay you in cash at the end of the day, no questions asked.

You take on the filthiest jobs on a day-by-day basis... Down at the docks, for example, hosing down the decks of commercial fishing boats. Again, they pay you in cash, you walk away without ever divulging your identity.

Or — and this is the time-honored method of disappearing — you go to work on the carnival circuit. Be warned, though, you'll be working shoulder-to-shoulder with fugitives of every stripe — murderers, drug runners, you name it.

I only know all this because I successfully dropped off the radar for 2 straight years, when people a lot worse than the government were searching for me.

I have many, many more tricks up my sleeve, but they wouldn't be tricks if I discussed them in a public forum.

— Doc Velocity

The government put me in prison once (so inhumane);
and i was working along side murderers and drug dealers;
Its not so bad; as long as youre not a fag like the simpsons and family guy...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
One thing to add; just make sure you don't have any contact with the government.

Well, that's not exactly true.

If you ever have occasion to drop off the radar, you're going to have to become pretty BOLD when it comes to dealing with authorities. Simply because the authorities will not expect a bold fugitive.

One of the first things I did when I was on the run was change identities, which isn't all that simple. See, if you're going to pretend to be John Q. Public, you're going to need an ID of some sort, just for the infrequent confrontation with the police.

Easiest way to start a new identity is to make sure you have a pocketful of cash. You typically empty out your bank accounts from Day One, and be frugal with your cash, because this is going to have to last you a couple of months.

Then get rid of your check cards and credit cards. One of the best ways is by leaving all your cards in your wallet and "dropping it" outside a bus station in a seedy part of town... The wallet will be stolen, and the thieves will try to use your credit cards, which is going to throw the authorities WAY off track at first.

Next, check into a seedy motel that accepts rent by the week, and pay for a couple of weeks' rent in advance IN CASH. Don't give your true name, and the proprietor won't ask if you slip him a few extra bucks.

This is where it starts getting hairy, but I told you you'd have to be bold.

At some point during your stay at the motel, you're going to have to obtain the proprietor's phone bill. This is going to require several days of observation on your part, watching for the postal deliveries, observing the proprietor's patterns. In my case, I didn't actually steal the mail, I rifled through the dumpster out back until I found it.

The moment you have his phone bill in your hand, you boldly go down to the nearest Department of Motor Vehicles and apply for a State ID Card, using the proprietor's name. They will ask for proof of address, and you provide the phone bill. Some states will generate the ID for you right there as you wait, and the fee is nominal. If they ask what happened to your other forms of identification, you tell them your wallet was stolen and that you've already reported it. But usually they won't ask.

Once you have your ID card, you check the hell out of that motel and destroy the phone bill, and now you're on the road with a brand new name and picture-bearing ID. You will use this to generate other ID cards in other states as you travel.

You can actually use the above procedure several times, acquiring several different names and valid ID cards, which you can use at random in your travels.

However, do not — and I repeat do not — flash your new ID card unless it is absolutely necessary...such as when a patrolman wakes you up while you're sleeping on a park bench or something.

And always be polite and calm when dealing with the cops. They're just doing their job, and they're accustomed to shooing away bums, so just act like a bum and you won't arouse their suspicion. Never get chatty with a cop... Cops are very suspicious of chatty people, because they know most people don't want to talk to cops.

The point is, when you step off the grid and off the radar, you're going to have to make some bold decisions, and changing your identity is probably the most difficult one. But keep in mind that a new identity is not permanent, and the more times you change it, the farther behind you're going to leave the authorities.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
If you're so unfortunate as to have people looking for you who know you on sight — as was my case — you're also going to have to change your appearance. This can be accomplished in a number of ways, and you can do it while staying in the seedy motel.

Two words: Hydrogen Peroxide... It's cheap, you can buy it at any grocery store or pharmacy, and it'll change your hair color to blonde in a matter of a half-hour. If you're already blonde, three words: Clairol Nice 'n' Easy... This stuff will turn you into a redhead, a brunette or whatever, you can get it at a grocery store or pharmacy, and it's not that expensive.

Next, cut your hair and shave off your beard & mustache completely.

Next, get a tan. If you have obvious tattoos, stop into any grocery store and look for the kiddie gumball machines...One of those machines will be a temporary tattoo dispenser, they cost about 50¢ each. Buy several temporary tattoos and use them to cover and/or distort your real tattoos.

Next, find a Goodwill resale shop or a thrift store and pick out clothes that you would NEVER EVEN THINK of wearing in your normal life. If you hate the way it looks, then it's perfect.

While you're thrift-shopping, buy a set of used eyeglasses — not sunglasses, but regular eyeglasses, and get in the habit of wearing them.

Change your mannerisms and habits, too. If you smoke regulars, switch to menthol, if you drink beer, start drinking wine, if you hang out in country bars, start hanging out in gay bars... or whatever. I myself went from nightclubs to biker bars (where I developed something of a reputation as a pool shark). Made a lot of really bad-ass friends there, too, which is a good thing to have.

Changing your appearance and mannerisms will turn you into a Class-A fugitive, and changing your appearance and mannerisms regularly will turn you into a chameleon who can blend into every setting.

More about "blending" later.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LurkerMan

also, it might be a good idea to have something on hand to curb panic, and allow you to handle the situation more comfortably, because it WILL be scary.....be it some booze, weed, or valium.

The LAST thing anyone will need is something to dull their senses and give them a distorted view or reality... That's just insane.

Sorry M8...

peace

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
The LAST thing anyone will need is something to dull their senses and give them a distorted view or reality... That's just insane.

Granted, if you think you can go on the run and still consume a 12-pack of beer a day or blow reefer like a smokestack, you're out of your mind. Heavy substance abuse is a sure way to run afoul of the law. It'll happen, I guarantee you — then try to explain to a judge how you happen to be using somebody else's identity.

Not a pretty picture.

However... In the course of my own adventures in the world of anonymity, I often found myself in the company of people who did blow a lot of reefer and snort up coffee tables full of coc aine, and those people would become very suspicious of an outsider who did not engage in those activities.

And, brother, let me tell you, some of these characters were pretty dangerous. You didn't want them thinking that you were an undercover cop, right.

So, yeah, in order to blend in with some of these crowds, I sometimes did have to party freely with them — I smoked their grass, tooted their coke, even sipped their mushroom tea. But I always maintained control, I didn't imbibe to excess.

The result was that I earned their trust, which saved my ass on more than one occasion.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   
allow me to clarify.

i was speaking in the context of an initial "round up" situation. alot of poeple on this planet have anxiety and panic issues they may not even know about, and in a sudden drastic situation where they would be trying to put people in fema camps the most common things usually on hand were those mentioned.

im not saying to go party off the grid, but the majority of the sheeple wont be able to handle themselves properly without a little extra help. im just being realistic.

you can have the escape plan of the century, and have memorized every survival manual on the planet, and none of it will matter if you drop to the floor and cower at the sound of the first gunshot.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Doc V, you've been making a lot of great posts in this thread

I personally would not have the patience and energy for all that though - nor could I stand being away from my family and friends. I think I'd rather they just get me. If it's my fate to die or end up in jail or a camp somewhere, so be it.

I don't want that, and I don't think I deserve that, but - whatever.

- coffeecups

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by cupocoffee
I personally would not have the patience and energy for all that though - nor could I stand being away from my family and friends. I think I'd rather they just get me. If it's my fate to die or end up in jail or a camp somewhere, so be it. I don't want that, and I don't think I deserve that, but - whatever.

Well, yeah, certainly, when you're on the run, you're constantly dealing with the "quantity of life versus quality of life" dilemma. Some people feel like they can't go on after as little as a week, and some never give up.

I always dangled a carrot before myself, telling myself that the whole thing would blow over eventually and someday I'd return to a normal life — which, as it happens, is exactly what transpired.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Some of my neighbors do a pretty good job of laying low even in an urban environment. Their landlord takes money orders and they live in a cash economy no cars, no titles, nothing. It won't be long though before the security tapes at places that don't charge for money orders like Walmart will be reviewed by the police. Look at the UK surveillance system, it's really hard to evade.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Cool thread! Doc velocity some great tips there! I always say you have to keep them guessing always doing what they least expect. Most people are running and hiding, depending on the situation why not take it to them and keep them guessing like feeding certain activity on your cards or accounts to control where they are looking which is where you are not. ;-)

If it it's a round up situation as some have mentioned take out anyone who comes looking or better yet bait some traps for those who come looking. Just some thoughts.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by hawkiye]

posted on May, 14 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

I like your candidness Doc - so can anyone recommend possible ways in Mexico as a family getting a new life going... besides the tan and spangllish part...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join