It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your favorite and least favorite scents and smells?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Least Favorite: Too many to name but off the top of my head clove cigarettes

Favorite: Fresh linen/ cotton air freshener from bath and body works or fresh cut grass although the grass kills me due to allergies.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The person who said they would bury their face in their blanket and smell it. Yeah, me too. My bedding is #1. Also Rosemary, my daughters head, my dogs head, fresh cut grass, the beach.

Worst- dog anal glands- worked at a vet. dog farts. cat poop and pee. fishy smells. incense.

And it's funny you mention white guy smell cause I've heard plenty of white people say black people smell and always wondered if black people think we have a smell.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
favorite smells--- roses, green curry, my girlfriend
least favorite smells---- #, hockey equipment, recycling depot's

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I love the smell of coconut or any coconut products like soaps or lotions etc, also love the smell of freshly cut grass, toast, vanilla and cerutti 1881 the perfume.

Hate the smell of fish, petrol, exhaust fumes and cinnamon.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I am drawn to citrus/fruity, coconut, cinnamon, the air during/after rain and the ocean - very fresh smells.

I have incredible sense of smell so smell is very important to me. Can affect my mood completely. Many smells can absolutely turn me off. or make me gag. I wont even get into those smells.

When I have people visit my house I always ask them how it smells
I have a dog and Im always paranoid it smells like dog - even though I have a zillion very smelly candles lit and air fresheners plugged in, etc.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
This is a great thread! There are so many I like and so many I don't like but here are a few:

Favorites: Lavender, Sandalwood soap, Zest soap ( reminds me of the smell of my Grandmother's house), the beach, baseball fields, the smell before it rains....

Dislikes: sweaty kids after gym class, vomit, vanilla ( have no idea why, smelly gym bags, wet towels, rotten potatoes...

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Like: Garlic is top of the list. It takes me to heaven and back. Onions, citrus, tea tree oil, light perfumes, freshly baked bread, coffee (takes me right back to when I lived in Germany as a child when we used to frequent the local ice cream cafe), myself, pine, clean sheets, old books and the beach.

Dislike: Cinnamon makes me gag. Coconut does too. I worked in a care home for the elderly and the smell of someone who is dying will stay with me forever, and it is the least nice smell I can think of. Other thinga I don't like the smell of are cod liver oil, vitamin tablets, recycled kitchen paper and ESPECIALLY cooked lamb.

posted on May, 6 2010 @ 07:58 PM
link   
My absolute favorite has to be guy's cologne and in close second is the smell that surrounds a Mexican restaurant, the food cooking. I also love the way my son smells, just makes me wanna hug him ^_^.

My least favorite smell is that smell people get after running around all day, like being busy and what not. Not sweat but just....a mixture of everywhere they have been i guess?

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Favourite: Spring Onions
Garlic
Rain

Least: Mean peoples' Body Odour
Stinky rot smells
Generic perfume

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Fave:
The smell of a baby as soon as it's born
freshly cut grass or dry hay
Nag Champa

Yuck:
Cigarette breath, especially on a coffee drinker , it smells the exact same as fresh cat poop
corpse rot.... my last job meant I would from time to time have to deal with 'missed' deaths. It's a smell that hooks into your head for life.
vomit... again in last job there would be LOTS of vomit and no matter how hard I tried I would vomit

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

The most appealling scent I have ever had the pleasure of smelling is pachoulli. Love it. I am wearing pachoulli essential oil, I use it in my house to make everything smell good, I just love it!

The most unappealling smell I have ever smelled, and forgive me for this mental image but....being in the room with a person who is dying of a terminal disease, such as a cancer patient, ect. When they are about to pass away the odor is so foul and pungent, and unforgettable.

edit to add: I forgot to put AX men's sprays on my yuck list. It smells horrific no matter which scent!

[edit on 7-5-2010 by space cadet]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   

I had to smile when I read that...lets face it...anything to do with farts is funny!

Favourite smells: coconut, storms, that earthy smell of a rainforest, freshly baked bread, clean skin.

Least favourite smells: B.O, smelly feet, overpowering perfume, LPG, poo (of course), off chicken, rotting meat.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

IMO smells that actually hurt i.e make my nose sting like a needle is being shoved up there and make my eyes water, are some of the best and worst smells!

For example I love to take large whiffs from a freshly opened bottle of hot english mustard till I dry wretch!
But smelling salts... not so much!

I hate entering a just used toilet that has a double pronged pungency of poo AND some sickly sweet smell laid over the top!

I usually ignore most smells unless it smells like something is burning!

The absolute worst smell is an unexpected one!

Personal Disclosure: I truely hate the smell of peoples fear and I'm disturbed by the smell of peoples blood... both metallic smells make me angry and hungry!

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I love fruity smells, Cinnamon and lavender.

I can't stand the smell of vanilla or coffee. Coffee smell gives me a headache.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Fav: the pizza when you first open the box

Least Fav : the smell of cardboard of a empty pizza box

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Too many to list but I'll go with:

Most favorite: Gardenia Blossoms (I have bushes outside of my kitchen windows. MMMM!)

Least favorite: Raid wasp spray. I can't stand it.

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Least Favorite: A month old corpse. As a kid I watched a wrecker truck pull a car up an embankment and they opened the door. That smell just wouldn't come off for days. It adheres to everything. 2nd to that is Kudzu blooms. Their smell is so strong that is sickening sweet. Something like triple smell grape kool-aid. Cherry Laurel has the same putrid sweet smell on the blooms.

Favorite Smells: Cucumber, lemon tree blooms, Moo Goo Gai Pan in Styrofoam lol.

[edit on 7/5/10 by toochaos4u]

posted on May, 7 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
Nothing beats baking bread. Everyone knows that smell and it's one of home.

Least fav? Rotting potatoes. That makes me

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Interesting thread for me because I don't have much of a sense of smell.

After two surgeries, I can smell a little but not much. The scent has to be really strong for me to even notice. I can't smell perfume or food cooking. Once there was a grease fire in the kitchen and I didn't even notice.

Even though not being able to smell made some things difficult, I'm grateful now. I take care of a elderly relative with a certain medical condition - I've been told it's good I can't smell.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Faves:

coconut

almond

banana

citrus

jasmine

rose

mineral turpentine

floor polish

honey