It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your favorite and least favorite scents and smells?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by azzllin

I love smells that induce memories of good times, I can close my eyes and visualise things I had long forgotten about, when I smell things like that I become determined to remember exactly what and when it reminds me of,

I brought this up in another one of my threads. It's a good read if you're interested. www.abovetopsecret.com...
It's about the feeling of nostalgia and I wrote about how certain smells can take you back to your childhood.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Anyone else like the smell of tea tree oil?
I freaking love it so much. I rub some on my neck sometimes before I go out. It's a great deodorant in my opinion. Just be sure not to use too much.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
My 5 month old little girl fresh from a bath is my favorite.

Most here won't be able to associate this smell, but my work as a medic in the army but me in some posistion for some bad smells.

The worst I have ever smelled.

Pulling soldiers who are burn victims from the ambulance when they were transferred to Landstuhl Germany during the Fallujah battle.

That is a smell I will never forget.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

I actually like the smell too...it's strong stuff though I once put some in a styrofoam cup to give to a freind for a sore throat but it ate through the bottom of the cup before he could get it to his mouth. He didn't want anything to do with it after that

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
I love the smells of: garlic and onions frying, lilacs, roses, my husband's shower gel, paint, fresh cut grass, the air before it snows, night blooming jasmine and fresh baked bread.

I dislike the smells of: gasoline, poo, wet dog, body/foot odor, garbage, liver being cooked, and any Yankee candle food scents.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

#1 fresh baked cinnamon rolls and fresh ground coffee

I like almost all woodsy, outdoors scents. The forest in every season, and the ocean. Old books for some reason. The musty smell of an old bookstore or library.

A new baseball glove.

Fresh tilled soil. Freshly mown hay. Fresh sun dried linen sheets.

Of the things that are supposed to smell good, floral scents are my least favorite. Just too cloying for me.

Anyone old enough to remember in school when they used to pass out exams on freshly mimeographed paper? I won't say it's a favorite smell, but it's one of those things where you were compelled to sniff it. What the heck was up with that?

Of the bad smells, dead skunk in the summer sun "ranks" right up there. Driving by one and the smell gets in the car, you have to drive like a maniac with the windows down for a half hour to get rid of it.

Maybe the all-time worst, spoiled raw chicken. I went camping one time with a big group. When we got back and were emptying out the vehicles, this one goof had a cooler full of raw chicken he forgot about in the back of his van. I happened to be standing there when he took the lid off of it. That's what hell has to smell like.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Most fav: (Well aside from the OBVIOUS all fattening food)

- Big honking Magic Markers
- Bleach

Least fav:
- Vomit

[edit on 30-4-2010 by kinda kurious]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Fav's : Chili cookin'

Absolutely disgusting: The smell of vaporizing saliva. Or dirty Genitals! LOL!!

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Visitor2012]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I cannot stand female perfumes, they really are irritating to me, just glad i am not interested in females, but thats the smell i find most gross in the world.

I have worked on building sites with like bad smells, but female perfume does my head in, it really is something i do not like.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-SouljahNow my least favorite smells. Too much perfume, stinky trash, bad breath, or the stinky odor that males can get sometimes. I had a few (sorry to sound racist) white friends that would stink to high heaven when they started sweating. The white guy scent. Have you guys experienced this?

WTF kind of comment is this? What... women, blacks, hispanics, asians, arabs, etc. don't stink when they sweat? Has to be the stupidest comment I have ever heard. I'd say pretty much everyone stinks when they sweat. If you don't believe me, go to any international airport and compare the stinks of the various races.

To answer the question...
I like gasoline and new carpetting.
Dislike hard-boiled eggs.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by mecheng]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SolarE-Souljah
Now my least favorite smells. Too much perfume, stinky trash, bad breath, or the stinky odor that males can get sometimes. I had a few (sorry to sound racist) white friends that would stink to high heaven when they started sweating. The white guy scent. Have you guys experienced this?

I think it's just "the guy scent".

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
I think it's just "the guy scent".

too true. males and females have a smell to them.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

I like the smell of cook outs, meat, baked goods, coffee, apples, the smell before and after it rains, the smell of my husband.

Smells I dislike are cigarettes, cigars, B.O., pee, poop, (I used to work in an assisted living facility, and to this day i can smell it especially if my dog pooped or peed on the floor) gasoline, and burned food.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Right up my alley.

disinfectants
tires
rubber
paint
leather
gasoline
turpentine
acetone
the woods
rain
an occasional skunk

coffee
the ocean
fish
scented candles

girly perfumes
baby smell
Aqua Velva (i know...)
pine trees
fabric softeners

dont like

stinky feet
dirty people

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Most: Pickled jalapenos.

Least: Brussell sprouts.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Good:

Hoppes # 9, diesel engine exhaust (odd one - it smells like diving about to happen), that weird faintly ammoniacal smell you get from a freshly opened can of 50 cal, freshly cut grass, hay in a barn, horses, blackberries being cooked for jam, that spot on the back of babies' necks, puppy breath, cedar tips, whiskey in the mash, especially near the end of fermentation, horse tack, hardwood when you're working it, fly fishing line lube, roses, apples.

Bad:

that "Navy smell", I don't know what it is, maybe the paint, dead things after about three days in the sun, rotten potatoes, my breath after a cucumber salad and diet Coke, peaches (probably the only Georgian that detests them), flatus, most perfumes

[edit on 30-4-2010 by Bedlam]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mecheng

I'm sorry, it's just I think white people have a very distinct scent to them. I know people of every color and both male and females have scents too. Sorry if I sound like a bad person just because I observed an interesting phenomenon.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Favorite: fresh baked bread, fried potatoes, fresh cut grass, watermelon

Least favorite: fresh asphalt, skunks, incense, garbage, diapers

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Favorite smell- fresh pizza

Least favorite smell- cat litter box

posted on May, 2 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
My favorite smells are the ones that remind you of memories. Perfume of ex-girlfriends, the smell of rain and of course grandma's cookies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join