It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cop in famed cyclist-shoving incident acquitted of assault

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   

A police officer who became famous worldwide after a YouTube video showed him shoving a cyclist off his bike seemingly without provocation has been acquitted of assault.

But Patrick Pogan, formerly of the New York Police Department, was found guilty of making a false filing in the case, and now faces up to four years in prison, the New York Times reported Thursday.

In amateur footage of a Critical Mass cycling event in New York City in July of 2008, Pogan can be seen crossing a street and walking into the path of 29-year-old cyclist Christopher Long. Long can be seen swerving to avoid Pogan before Pogan shoves him, causing Long to fall off his bicycle and into a nearby crowd.

rawstory.com...
The original ATS thread from 2008 on this is HERE

Looks pretty blatant to me. But, admittedly I can not hear..like the court I guess what exchange took place between the rider and police before this happened. It looks like he came into the picture too fast though to have been able to cause too much trouble....

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:22 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
woah easy now. So he says something you dont like and you call him a retard? Do the words kettle and pot mean anything to you?

Now on topic: Really amazing. From reading the OP is sure seems like the brought up every piece of dirt that could be found against this kid. I really do not see how him smoking weed or this incident in which he caused the death of another person has anything at all to do with what his arrest was about. The guy on the bike was arrested for assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest etc etc and clearly the video shows a totally different tale.

What is worse is now the bike guy is being charged for filing a false report against the officer. Just unbelievable.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
woah easy now. So he says something you dont like and you call him a retard? Do the words kettle and pot mean anything to you?

Now on topic: Really amazing. From reading the OP is sure seems like the brought up every piece of dirt that could be found against this kid. I really do not see how him smoking weed or this incident in which he caused the death of another person has anything at all to do with what his arrest was about. The guy on the bike was arrested for assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest etc etc and clearly the video shows a totally different tale.

What is worse is now the bike guy is being charged for filing a false report against the officer. Just unbelievable.

Well honestly, laughing at this, in my book, is a non-sense + the post was not usefull.

:\

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

No. The bicyclist wasn't charged with the false report. The cop was acquitted of assault, but was convicted of filing a false report because he blatantly lied about what happened.
That's hardly justice when you see the guy on the bike getting attacked after the cop ran across the street at him then tackled him off the moving bike.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   
and I would agree with that, however calling him a retard solves what exactly?

And what did your post, informing the previous poster that he was a retard, contribute to the topic at hand?

We can discuss it further in U2U if you would like, this whole conversation on this thread is not on topic at all.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

The way I read it was the the bike guy was being charged with the false report. I will go back and read it again, in any event, this cop should be charged with assault.

Do you happen to know if he is still employed or did he lose his job as a result?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Let's stay omn topic, please.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

The cop resigned I think. He is no longer employed with the NYPD. He was charged with assault. The posters in the thread from 2008 seems like it was an open and shut case of the cop being guilty.

The bicyclist was initially charged with a whole slew of offenses. They were later dropped. The cop was charged after the video came out in 2008 and the charges were dropped on the rider. The cop was just tried and acquitted today on the assault charge, but was convicted of filing a false police report.

The false report charges stemmed from the cop making up assault on a police officer, resisting arrest and other charges that were made up. The video exonerated the rider of everything that he had initially been charged with in 2008.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

It would be interesting to see what the cop is doing now. I would not be shocked if he went into "private security".

I really do not understand how this officer did not get f ound guilty on assault. It sure seems pretty simple, if the cop filed a false report and the bike guy had no reason to be arrested to begin with, that would indicate that the officer had no right to take him down. And if the officer had no right to take the guy down, would that be assault?

If I knock some random guy off his bike and send him flying, I have no doubt that I would be arrested, charged, and if it was on video guilty of assault.

new topics

top topics

join