It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some weird connection difficulties. Namely IE and Quickbooks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Hello ATSers. I've come across a very interesting behaviors with my computer here at work.

First, I am using a Anthlon2 dual core 2.6 ghz on an MSI N-Force Professional Series motherboard 4 gigs ddr2 sata HD and Windows XP Pro SP3 and a Wireless Card.

My Computer is connected and firefox works perfectly. However my major issue is getting updates for Quickbooks. It tells me that there is no internet connection. AKA Error "12029". Internet Explorer does the same thing and will not load web pages at all. When I run a connection test it fails even though I am obviously connected to the internet.

I've tried turning off the firewall. I've tried resetting IE as I figured maybe IE is the catalyst for the QB connection to the internet. I don't know if this is true though as IE still does the same thing. I've also tried the add/remove windows components with IE to reinstall it.

P.S. IE won't even let me into "internet options".

This is starting to piss me off. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRICIATED OH ATS GURUS OF ALL!!!

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Are you using the Windows firewall or a third party firewall?

TheAssoc.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAssociate

Windows firewall.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Try switching to ZoneAlarm Firewall. It's free and might help in the situation. You can go into the program and set which programs are allowed to access the internet and what type of access they are allowed to have.

If it doesn't help, it's still better than the useless Windows firewall.

Also, if you're using a program with a process monitor, like Spyware Terminator, make sure that it's not stopping the programs you're trying to use from functioning.

While I'm at it:

Get Malwarebytes' Antimalware and Avira Antivir (both free), update them with the latest definitions, and do a complete scan on all your hard drives.

Also, don't surf the internet with your Admin account. Create a "limited account" and use "run as" when you need Admin privileges.

If it is a virus causing this, it's likely because you contracted it while surfing with the admin account, thus giving it admin privileges. If you get a virus while on a 'limited account', it minimizes possible damage.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

TheAssoc.

posted on May, 4 2010 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I ran a Network Diagnostic. This is what it said. PS it still fails with no firewalls running at all. Firefox still works just fine as does thunderbird.

HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

info FTP (Passive): Successfully connected to ftp.microsoft.com.
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTP: Error 12029 connecting to www.hotmail.com: A connection with the server could not be established
warn HTTPS: Error 12045 connecting to www.passport.net: The certificate authority is invalid or incorrect
warn HTTPS: Error 12057 connecting to www.microsoft.com:
error Could not make an HTTP connection.
error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
info Redirecting user to support call

Gateway

info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically Detect Settings:Enabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server:http=127.0.0.1:5555 Proxy Bypass list:*.local;
info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.0.1
info This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.0.100
info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
info The default gateway address was resolved via ARP in 1 try(ies)
info The default gateway was reached via ICMP Ping in 1 try(ies)
info Skipped gateway connectivity check because of IE proxy configuration

Winsock checks out too.

info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection, Device=Realtek RTL8185 54M Wireless LAN Network Adapter, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet , MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=LAN
info Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for selection
action User input required: Select network connection
info Wireless connection selected
Network adapter status

info Network connection status: Connected

top topics

join