It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Villaraigosa backs L.A. boycott of Arizona over immigration crackdown

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Actually if you are driving without you ID and you are pulled over for breaking the law you will be detained until your identity can be verified. This of course would include citizenship. So yes you will be arrested.

You cannot just tell a cop "hey I am so and so believe me" if you have committed a crime and get to go free without them checking. Ever heard of identity theft or lying?

Raist

[edit on 4/30/10 by Raist]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

The law doesn't say anyone who breaks the law will have to verify legal status. It says that in order to be questioned about legal status there has to be "reasonable suspicion". Breaking the law is not suspicion enough to say someone is here illegally. Especially since doing so would insinuate that only illegal immigrants break that law.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13

Let me ask you this. Do you think, if I ever travel to AZ and get pulled over for speeding, being a white female with and "American" accent, and left my ID at my hotel, that I will ever be accused of being an illegal immigrant? I won't show up on their computer. Do you think they will then haul me off to jail until my citizenship can be verified?

You will not be accused but will be asked to show identification and if you fail to do so. Off you go for ride on the tax payers dime.
If you break the law in Arizona and can not verify your status at the location of where the law was broken, then you would be taken to a location where you will have the opportunity to verify you status.

So Yes to everything you say. That isn't racial profiling, its just another example of showing what being on the lower level of the IQ scale can accomplish.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Hmmm..interesting, now your insulting the intelligence of people that don't agree with you. You really don't know how to debate without using rhetoric do you? It only makes your arguments less effective when you have to resort to such things. And I'd be willing to wager that you are sorely mistaken about whether or not I would be hauled off to jail. But I guess only time will tell once this law takes effect and we start seeing how this really is going to affect people.

For now, anything else is really just speculation and debate.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Hmmm..interesting, now your insulting the intelligence of people that don't agree with you. You really don't know how to debate without using rhetoric do you? It only makes your arguments less effective when you have to resort to such things. And I'd be willing to wager that you are sorely mistaken about whether or not I would be hauled off to jail. But I guess only time will tell once this law takes effect and we start seeing how this really is going to affect people.

For now, anything else is really just speculation and debate.

Way to answer your own question regarding racial profiling...Kudos to you and your gray matter.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:03 PM
link   
You hispanics would be better served not to align yourselves with these illegals. I am hispanic and I live in San Diego, CA. I agree 100% with this law. We here in SoCal are routinely stopped at "checkpoints" and given the once over to determine our "status". Nothing new. I for one don't like a bunch of anonymous people walking around for when they do commit a crime it is almost impossible to identify or locate them. It is oh so easy for them to do foul here in the US and then just walk back across the border never to be seen again.

If you hispanics are so offended by this law then why don't you sponsor an illegal for citizenship??? Let them into your home and alow them access to your family. Help them to learn english. Thought so...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotAnumber
You hispanics would be better served not to align yourselves with these illegals. I am hispanic and I live in San Diego, CA. I agree 100% with this law. We here in SoCal are routinely stopped at "checkpoints" and given the once over to determine our "status". Nothing new. I for one don't like a bunch of anonymous people walking around for when they do commit a crime it is almost impossible to identify or locate them. It is oh so easy for them to do foul here in the US and then just walk back across the border never to be seen again.

If you hispanics are so offended by this law then why don't you sponsor an illegal for citizenship??? Let them into your home and alow them access to your family. Help them to learn english. Thought so...

I am in total agreement with you. I am brown myself and agree with this LAW which was already on the federal books. The Arizona bill needs to be implemented in every state. ICE needs to be dismantled and the NATIONAL GUARD needs to start serving its purpose.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Wow, you just have to insult at every possible turn, don't you. I like how you keep bringing up your skin color. Yet, you accuse others of playing the race card. Just because you have a certain skin color doesn't mean your stance on the issue is somehow more valid than anyone else's. Why do you keep bringing it up?

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Wow, you just have to insult at every possible turn, don't you. I like how you keep bringing up your skin color. Yet, you accuse others of playing the race card. Just because you have a certain skin color doesn't mean your stance on the issue is somehow more valid than anyone else's. Why do you keep bringing it up?

I bring it up for the people who keep sending me the "you Whitey" u2u's.

And you are mistaken, I am speaking for a majority of LEGALS with my skin tone and other skin tones such as Yella', blue, pink, red, gray, etc etc.

Majority of the LEGAL citizens/residents support the ARIZONA LAWS.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

I'm just saying I don't know what you being "brown" has to do with any of it in a debate that you yourself keeps saying has nothing to do with race. I find it highly irritating, though, when people constantly dumb down the conversation with rhetoric.

There are other ways and always have been that will yield the same results without opening the doors to abuse of the law. People on your side of the argument don't seem to be taking into consideration the people who WILL abuse this law. My opinion is that it is a grave mistake to the detriment of our freedoms given to us by natural law, to not take abuse of this law into account and, therefore, not be able to understand why others like me are so concerned about it. At the risk of using my own rhetoric, many of us see this as the beginning of a journey down a slippery slope.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I'm just saying I don't know what you being "brown" has to do with any of it in a debate that you yourself keeps saying has nothing to do with race. I find it highly irritating, though, when people constantly dumb down the conversation with rhetoric.

I would focus on my reply to your statement, maybe it will cool you down. Plus I believe your anger is in the wrong place. Place it on the people who are breaking this country's laws and are here ILLEGALLY. Don't place it on the people who follow this country's laws and want those laws to be enforced.

G'day...

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   

I don't have any anger towards you. I said I am irritated at the responses toward me and others who don't agree with this law. Questioning our loyalty to our country. I am free to disagree with any law. I'm sure there may be laws and legislation that you also disagree with. That doesn't mean your not a law abiding citizen, it means your practicing your freedom of speech and your responsibility in a democratic country to voice your disagreements with those laws.

The debate about this law has nothing to do with intentionally breaking it as one might see fit, it's about questioning the laws existence and constitutionality. If the justice department winds up finding no flaw with this law those like us can only continue to disagree with, but that's really all we can. That's all we can even do at this point.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Justice department can not find anything wrong with this law because it is the exact same Federal Law. Only now has Arizona implemented the same Law as the Federal authorities was not doing anything.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
reply to post by nunya13

Justice department can not find anything wrong with this law because it is the exact same Federal Law. Only now has Arizona implemented the same Law as the Federal authorities was not doing anything.

[edit on 30-4-2010 by prionace glauca] [/quote

Lets just wait and see if that's really going to be the case. Sorry if I just don't take your word for it, as you seem so qualified to just make a claim like that with nothing to back it with.

Justice Department may sue Arizona over its immigration law

Lawmakers from the president to the House minority leader have backed off the question of immigration reform (for different reasons), but the Justice Department is debating whether to step up and sue Arizona over its new immigration law.

Lets just hold on a sec just incase you might be wrong.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by XNeMeSis21
[Lets just wait and see if that's really going to be the case. Sorry if I just don't take your word for it, as you seem so qualified to just make a claim like that with nothing to back it with.

Justice Department may sue Arizona over its immigration law

Lawmakers from the president to the House minority leader have backed off the question of immigration reform (for different reasons), but the Justice Department is debating whether to step up and sue Arizona over its new immigration law.

Lets just hold on a sec just incase you might be wrong.

Again, How many politicians read the HCR bill before they passed it? Do you know if Obama even read the Arizona Law after it passed? I highly doubt it, he saw an opportunity for political gain and began to read from his Telepromper #2. DOJ is a puppet to the White House, when did they ever think about the American Citizens.

Now if DOJ actually does some cross checking they will see the actual law traces back to the original FEDERAL LAW.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by XNeMeSis21

Who cares?

These folks are missing the point. Since the illegals are so fantastic for the economy, regional culture and the rest of it, he should be applauding Arizona and welcome them all to come to California. If his statements about them are accurate, perhaps California could solve its budget crisis.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

Who cares?

These folks are missing the point. Since the illegals are so fantastic for the economy, regional culture and the rest of it, he should be applauding Arizona and welcome them all to come to California. If his statements about them are accurate, perhaps California could solve its budget crisis.

Can you please point out where I said anything about how fantastic illegals are for the economy? Because all I've been talking about is how this law is trying to stomp on the constitutional rights of LEGAL AMERICANS. But thanks for the random rant

[edit on 30-4-2010 by XNeMeSis21]

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

interesting...is it really the EXACT same law? This one just seems so broad.

Also, I'm not sure why you are making assumptions about my intentions for bringing up that the DOJ wants to review the case. I'm not trying to be a know-it-all and I did not say the law would be found to be unconstitutional. I said we'll have to wait and see what they will decide. I'm just going on what is being said in the national news. There's no need to be snarky.

It is entirely possible to discuss this issue without ridiculing people. You act as if you are personally being attacked when someone like me questions this law and mentions the possibility of it being abused.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

Oh I am Sorry, I am not attacking you. I am just pointing out where the DoJ can take a look for the LAW.

Mad Love,

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 03:50 PM
link   

"No person should be treated differently in the eyes of the law," he said at a news conference.

They have a dumb mayor there.

First of all, what business it is of his to know OUR laws. Shouldn't he be concerned with his own?

Secondly, he's right. And this bill puts everyone on the same playing field legally. Before this bill, illegals had MORE rights than you and I did. Now, we have the same. Let's take it a step further now where it should be and give them LESS rights than us. They have broken a law you know, by coming here ILLEGALY.

I wonder, does that mayor also WALK backwards?

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join