It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EXCLUSIVE: U.N. Elects Iran to Commission on Women's Rights

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Outrage as U.N. Picks Iran For Women

www.foxnews.com

NEW YORK — Without fanfare, the United Nations this week elected Iran to its Commission on the Status of Women, handing a four-year seat on the influential human rights body to a theocratic state in which stoning is enshrined in law and lashings are required for women judged "immodest."

Just days after Iran abandoned a high-profile bid for a seat on the U.N. Human Rights Council, it began a covert campaign to claim a seat on the Commission on the Status of Women, which is "dedicated exclusively to gender equality and advancement of women," according to its website.

Buried 2,000 w
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-4-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
UN is a joke, and this proves it even more. Is UN aware of all of the crimes IRAN commits to its own citizens. Of course they are, look at all the dictators that get plenty of notoriety by this corrupt body.

IRAN is known to commit atrocities against woman, to be given such a seat is a slap to women everywhere. Just recently a cleric from IRAN explained the causes of earthquakes as being attributable to exposure of "BOOBS", ZOMG.

Iran recognized by UN
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
From the UN press release:

Next, the Council elected 11 new members to fill an equal number of vacancies on the Commission on the Status of Women for four-year terms beginning at the first meeting of the Commission’s fifty-sixth session in 2011 and expiring at the close of its fifty-ninth session in 2015. The Democratic Republic of the Congo, Liberia and Zimbabwe were elected from the Group of African States; Iran and Thailand were elected from the Group of Asian States; Estonia and Georgia were elected from the Group of Eastern European States; Jamaica was elected from the Group of Latin American and Caribbean States; and Belgium, Netherlands and Spain were elected from the Group of Western European and Other States.

Reading it like it was published it doesn't look as bad as the title of the article implies.

I think it's more surprising (or not) that there are 5 European representatives to just 2 from Asia and 1 from Latin American and Caribbean States.

PS: the thread's title should be the same as the article's.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I've always had low regard for UN, for its prolifigate expensive bureacracy and ineffectiveness in world affairs, but this latest deed by UN must be a joke, right?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Iran, like every other muslim state, imprisons women who have been raped for adultery....

WHO IN THE *^*3W IS DETERMINING THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR FILLING THESE CHAIRS????

It's only OBVIOUS that there are no qualifications being reviewed, but instead it's a gentleman's table with an invite only manner. Why not get some belly dancers to entertain them while this council is in session? maybe a few 9 year old girls to polish thier shoes too...

WºW - somebody stop this planet, I need to go now....

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I don't think there are enough pictures of facepalms on the Internets to express how morbidly stupid I think the U.N. is right now.

I mean... ugh. Just, ugh.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   
How can one even put the faintest of trust in such an organization? First it was money laundering scheme with the bull s*it science used for their Climate Study.

Now with the world watching the human rights drama unfolding in front of their eyes of the inner happening in IRAN, this loony-bin-dictator-crowning organization legitimizes the acts of this regime.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
The UN is officially a joke.

Women with suntans will be arrested Iran police chief warns

Iranian Cleric: Cleavage Causes Earthquakes

Why would any organization that is supposed to be supporting woman's rights choose Iran as a member.

A Night With the Morality Police

What kind of country needs morality police?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
EXCLUSIVE: U.N. Elects Iran to Commission on Women's Rights

Sorry I had to get that out and wipe off my monitor screen I spat up after reading the title.

I wonder will some EU countries continue with their attempt at banning the burqas? Oh who am I kidding of course they will?????

[edit on 29-4-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

When its term begins in 2011, Iran will be joined by 10 other countries: Belgium, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Estonia, Georgia, Jamaica, Iran, Liberia, the Netherlands, Spain, Thailand and Zimbabwe.

See any other glaring issues?

The D.R. of Congo is also appointed...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by prionace glauca

When its term begins in 2011, Iran will be joined by 10 other countries: Belgium, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Estonia, Georgia, Jamaica, Iran, Liberia, the Netherlands, Spain, Thailand and Zimbabwe.

See any other glaring issues?

The D.R. of Congo is also appointed...

And Zimbabwe, we all know how tolerant Mugabe is of woman as his goons went to rape all of the opposition women voters.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Funny that you mention this: Belgium just voted to ban the Burqa in public places.
They will be one of the countries appointed to the 2011 term.

link

[edit on 29-4-2010 by LadySkadi]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
All the women haters uniting under one banner. Oh wait they are also hater of freedom and want big governments to control the average individual. UN, what a shill of an organization. NWO has been operating clearly in front of our eyes.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
There is only one thing i can say to this:

"1984 was not intended as an instruction manual"

S&F

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by WWJFKD

Did you get to a look at some of the other nations that also got promoted to this seat?

Really, UN just another dictator organization used to funnel money.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Say what you will about Iran, but Shiites have surprisingly liberal attitudes compared to a lot of Sunnis about the roles of women in society. In Iran, women are not denied opportunities for education or work based on their sex. Women have the full right to become lawyers, doctors, whatever, anything they want, and this is perfectly normal and accepted in that society.

Yes, women are supposed to dress demurely, and many wear burkas, but it is not a requirement and it's common to see women in blue jeans and other western attire there.

I am not saying things are perfect there for women, but being a woman in Iran is a far, far better deal than being a woman in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and most of the other Arab Muslim countries.

[edit on 4/30/2010 by LifeInDeath]

new topics

top topics

join