It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Administration Pledges All-Out Response to Oil Spill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

President Obama pledged an all-out response Thursday to the massive oil spill now expected to reach the Gulf Coast within a day and dispatched top officials to the region to help coordinate defenses against the potential environmental disaster.

Obama promised to use "every single available resource" of government to help with the oil spill.

Earlier, federal officials announced inspections would begin immediately of all oil rigs in the Gulf and subpoena powers would be used in the gathering investigation. But the priority was to support the oil company BP PLC in employing booms, skimmers, chemical dispersants and controlled burns to fight the oil surging from the seabed.

"We are being very aggressive and we are prepared for the worst case," Coast Guard Rear Adm. Sally Brice-O'Hara said at the White House.

The administration rejected suggestions that the federal government was slow to act in dealing with the spill and expressed frustration with BP's inability to seal the ruptured well head. The government approved the start of drilling for a relief well and was considering approving a second one as industry and government officials worked on multiple fronts to contain the slick.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by WWJFKD]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Now here is what my sources (yes my sources) are telling me this entails. Lets pay close attention to this and see which story actually plays out. I am told that Rush Limbaugh used the word SWAT! At any rate would this not be an EPA issue? I'll post more as I get it.

CONFIRMED!

The Obama administration pledged an all-out response Thursday to the massive oil spill now expected to reach the Gulf Coast within a day and dispatched top officials to the region to help coordinate defenses against the potential environmental disaster.

"We are being very aggressive and we are prepared for the worst case," Coast Guard Rear Adm. Sally Brice-O'Hara said at the White House. Federal officials announced inspections would begin immediately of all oil rigs in the Gulf and subpoena powers would be used in the gathering investigation. But the priority was to support the oil company BP PLC in employing booms, skimmers, chemical dispersants and controlled burns to fight the oil surging from the seabed.
the swat team is not qualified for inspecting oil rigs!!!
swats duty
SWAT duties include:

* Hostage rescue.
* Crime suppression.
* Riot control.
* Perimeter security against snipers for visiting dignitaries.
* Providing superior assault firepower in certain situations, e.g. barricaded suspects.
* Rescuing officers and citizens captured or endangered by gunfire.
* Countering terrorist operations in cities.
* Resolving high-risk situations with a minimum loss of life, injury, or property damage.
* Resolving situations involving barricaded subjects (specifically covered by a Hostage Barricade Team).
* Stabilizing situations involving high-risk suicidal subjects.
* Providing assistance on drug raids, arrest warrants, and search warrants.
* Providing additional security at special events.
* Stabilizing dangerous situations dealing with violent criminals (such as rapists, serial killers or gangs).
* Armed patrols

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   
bungalowbillscw.blogspot.com...

Thursday, April 29, 2010
Obama Sends Swat Teams to American Off Shore Oil Rigs in the Gulf of Mexico

One day before Earth Day, a Louisiana British Petroleum off shore oil rig mysteriously blew up. This of course was just weeks after Obama announced his plans to increase drilling. Now we are hearing Obama is sending a swat team to all oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico. Was it terrorism? There could be two possibilities of terrorism.

Oil Rigs don’t just explode. It’s possible, but it’s not very likely. Could this be the act of environmental terrorists or could this be Middle Eastern terrorists who know if Americans increase drilling, their power decreases? These are two very likely possibilities. Obviously both groups don’t want Americans using their own oil. I always felt there was more to this story, as the media is building this story up to benefit the environmentalist, claiming its worse than the Exxon Valdez.

I remind you, the site of the Exxon Valdez was cleaned up and proved to be a profitable fishing area after the cleanup. This should be interesting to watch.

Obama, speaking from the Rose Garden, says the explosion is of national importance, and he is sending swat teams, Lisa Jackson, and the Department of Homeland Security to the Gulf of Mexico to investigate all oil rigs. Of course, there could be the possibility this is false-flag terrorism in order to strengthen the liberal position that drilling for oil is evil and dangerous to the environment.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
forums.hannity.com...

Active discussion underway - good I don't feel so much like I'm twisting in the wind here on this one. So the obvious question? How do you stop an oil spill with MP-5s?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
online.wsj.com...

The Interior Department said it has assembled a "swat team" of inspectors to review safety at offshore drilling rigs across the U.S. The Environmental Protection Agency said separately that it has launched a network of monitor systems to evaluate air quality amid concerns that plans to burn off the oil slick in a controlled process could pollute the air.

Well it appears the wording was used figuratively - hopefully. At any rate it was a poor choice of wording. S.W.A.T. Special Weapons and Tactics. Way to sound the KLAXON guys. As if people were not already enough on edge.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Isnt BP amocco supposed to be financialy responsable for cleaning this up? I read it was a BP rig..that is Amoco gas*
and why the SWAT team? national guard makes more sense. I mean, i was always under the impresssion, SWAT was used for cases like WACO, a guy in a building with a bomb, a sniper needs to be taken out hidding in some building... tactical units* thats what i always thought SWAT was...
how does sending tacitcal units to an environemntal disaster help clean up the oil? i cant imagine much looting or burning buildings going on, like katrina* its off the shore, not on mainland*
Interesting..

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Man this taking a turn for the worst,this has got my weird-s#$t-o-meter going past 10 i live on the gulf coast and have not as of yet seen any strange going ons but if i do ill post

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by alchemist2012
Man this taking a turn for the worst,this has got my weird-s#$t-o-meter going past 10 i live on the gulf coast and have not as of yet seen any strange going ons but if i do ill post

That's pretty much the deal - They show up with Vacuum trucks and the stuff we have all seen in cleanups on the coast and that's fine but please lets keep our eyes open for any unusual hardware that one would not expect to see used for this kind of operation. I cant get it out of my head what Rhambo said - "Never let a good crisis go to waste!" Thanks for the attention to this, I'll keep digging.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   
The government should have been preparing for this disaster 3-4 days ago or when it happened. The government cannot do anything nowadays. It's filled with morons and incompetent fools. This is going to be catastrophic. Washington is too little too late as usual.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy
The government should have been preparing for this disaster 3-4 days ago or when it happened. The government cannot do anything nowadays. It's filled with morons and incompetent fools. This is going to be catastrophic. Washington is too little too late as usual.

Had to have the new customary "Katrina" policy of we'll get there when we get there. Something foul happens 6000 miles away and they are there in a matter of moments but here - not so much. thanks for posting!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Another ATS MEMBER came up with the idea use a bladder type device to catch the leaks and redistribute the oil to another location. I felt this was a great idea and figured another idea can only help so here are my 2.

1. Place some type of bonding material (sand based) in the oil and as the oil and bonding material mix the oil will sink to the bottom for collection in clumps. Place large amount of bonding agent over top of entire reck site and the oil would solidify upon itself and seal TEMPORARLY..

2. Place some type of FREEZING agent on the oil which will freeze it to a solid ice oil making the entire slick a solid allowing for it to be broken up and collected. Also with this plan if the correct agent is used you can do the same freezing method under the water with a maga release of the FREEZING AGENT BASICALLY SOLIDIFYING THE REGION IN THE GOLF LIKE A GIANT ICE CUBE no body can be in the water of course as they will be frozen within a oil ice cube, HOPEFULLY TEMPORARY FREEZE PLUGGING THE OPENING LEAKS UNTIL A BETTER PLAN CAN COME FORTH....

GOOD LUCK EARTH

[edit on 4/29/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

I'm afraid in all their "SWAT teams" wisdom they appear to be leaning towards burning it as the "best" way to handle it. I'm sure the Greenpece ships are enroute as we speak. Sounded to me like this member had a pretty good idea wish he was part of the SWAT team.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Ok. I attempted to downplay this and even debunk it and WSJ gave me what I needed to do that and then I come across this little Gem. so disregard everything I have said here because apparently the department of the interior "IS" sending SWAT teams to the gulf.

www.realclearpolitics.com...

To add: My buddy raised the interesting question of IS THERE a Government agency that doesn't have its OWN police force?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
It's about time, I mean TPTB only had a weeks notice something was gonna happen. Quicker action could have prevented some of this. Does the Federal Government not care about the gulf states........oh, forgot Obama gets a pass, this would only be said if President Bush was still in office. Epic fail on the governments behalf.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I have a really really really bad feeling about this.

British Petroleum is supposed to be responsible for clean-up, but they are blaming the companies who constructed the oil rigs, however they are the ones who hired those very construction companies.

I don't think it's dawned on us yet, how bad this is going to be. I mean, they cant stop it. It's still pouring out at light speed.

My first thought was...well...seafood will be scarce this summer. What's in the freezer, maybe I can pick some things up today......

But this has the potential to be truly catastrophic. The truth? This could be life threatening. This could kill every living thing in the Gulf of Mexico. This could effect humans, and I'm not just talking about the fishing industry. I'm really growing very concerned about this.

I don't think they want us to realize yet, what repercussions we could be facing.

And they are sending a SWAT team? What's up with that? Has anyone heard a justification or rationalization for this move?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
There's been a "Black Sea". And a "Dead Sea".

I guess we can re-name the Gulf of Mexico "The Dead Black Sea".

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Guys I am not buying this Rig Fire was an Accident.

The rig has around 10 back ups anyone of them would have stopped the fire and oil leakage.

All of them failed that cannot happen unless it was made too.

How it works is very technical and at this hour of the night I am not in the explaining mood.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

From what I am understanding on this from those I have spoke to the crux of the safety measures is to first and foremost insure that the oil does not freely flow from the ground if not obviously for the Ecological damage but also to keep from losing the product. There are multiple references to rigs breaking lose during Katrina and none of them had catastrophic failure. My sources liken this to every system on the space shuttle failing at once and then it blowing up. I was pretty much accepting this at face value - an accident and now I'm hearing the odds of this occuring just aren't adding up. Time to start looking at what has occured and how it occured and find out what we are left with no matter how unlikely and accept it as the answer.

What I have gleaned is this particular rig was retrofitted just 2 years ago and has the state of the art in safety and suppression systems.

We are looking at a catastrophic ecological event here in the LA wetlands the public outcry for control or suppression of off shore drilling will likely be substantial. You can start to see where this could go from there. That and the fact that it has been allowed to progress to the point of becoming a real ecological threat to the LA coast wetlands due to curiously slow reaction by the agencies that control such matters.

Quite an impressive event to happen on of all days - Earth Day.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
i think that the oil spill wasnt an accident at all i think it was planned and excuted to drive the cap and trade and green initiatives.

everyones attention is now focused on this but dont be fooled pay closer attention to what the other hand is doing,

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 02:33 PM
link   
This whole incident has had a strange vibe from the word go.

And yes I know we are all hanging out on a conspiracy site, but I can't help but wonder about the timing, and yes I fully understand things happen, but I can't recall any other platform accidents at all. Heck even during the Year of the Hurricanes they didn't leak. And BP has been involved in several other "oops MY BAD" accidents in the last few years.

Like I said, I am not savvy enough about platforms to truly understand exactly how they work, but this whole thing just does not feel right. Something is way off about this.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join