It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Priests Think Abuse 'Doesn't Break Celibacy': ex-Bishop

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Priests Think Abuse 'Doesn't Break Celibacy': ex-Bishop

www.abs-cbnnews.com

Some paedophile priests believe molesting children does not breach their vow of celibacy, a retired Australian Catholic bishop said in a magazine interview.

Geoffrey Robinson, former auxiliary bishop of Sydney, told The Australian Women's Weekly he had made the observation during years of work with victims of child abuse within the church.

"We've met it often enough to see it as a factor. That's what the vow of celibacy refers to, being married. If it's not an adult woman, then somehow they're not breaking their vow," the 72-year-old said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
newsinfo.inquirer.net...

[edit on 4/29/2010 by Keyhole]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Unbelievable!

Do they ACTUALLY think then, that as long as they don't break their vow of celibacy with an adult woman, that their "God", whom they worship and serve, would look favorably upon them abusing children?

They have GOT to be some pretty sick and confused priests!

The Bible basically tries to teach people to have morals, I believe, priests are suppose to teach these morals to their congregation, don't they get it?

Priests are suppose to teach people morals, not how to be an IMmoral sexual deviant!

Nowhere in the Bible will you find where it says it is "Okay" to abuse children.

www.abs-cbnnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
And to think this man represent's god. I wonder if he agree's with him. At the age of 72 it won't be long till he finds out.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   
The definition of celibacy according to Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org...):

Celibacy is defined as the lifestyle of someone who is, and is striving to remain, unmarried all his/her life. It is also used to describe a state of life where one chooses to abstain from all sexual activities (also known as "continence"). Often, it is incorrectly used to refer to a mixed, an involuntary, or even temporary abstinence from sexual relations – celibacy is by definition a freely chosen state of being unmarried and practicing sexual abstinence.

Maybe "the church" should make a formal declaration of what it considers celibacy to be. That way it is an official church definition, as well as, the commonly held definition. It won't solve the problem but at least the priests would not be able to claim ignorance of the real meaning of celibacy.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by badvok123

I think you may have misunderstood the quote from the article above by this Geoffrey Robinson, ...

Priests think abuse 'doesn't break celibacy': ex-bishop

Geoffrey Robinson, former auxiliary bishop of Sydney, told The Australian Women's Weekly he had made the observation during years of work with victims of child abuse within the church.
******SKIP******
"We've met it often enough to see it as a factor. That's what the vow of celibacy refers to, being married. If it's not an adult woman, then somehow they're not breaking their vow," the 72-year-old said.

Robinson, who was abused as a child, although not by a priest, has previously criticised the handling of paedophilia cases by the church, which is facing a growing crisis over the issue.

This man is just stating how he thinks the priests that abuse children feel like they aren't breaking their vow of celibacy by abusing children.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
How do the even dare to think what is on the mind of another person?

A pedofile is a pedofile.

The will do it, whether it breaks celibacy or not!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

"We've met it often enough to see it as a factor. That's what the vow of celibacy refers to, being married. If it's not an adult woman, then somehow they're not breaking their vow," the 72-year-old said

If they truely believe that then they also aren't breaking their vow if they engage in sexual intercourse with an adult male. So let them have all the fun with each other that they want, but stay the hell away from our kids !

Sounds to me like the bishop is just trying to make excuses to justify their actions.

www.abs-cbnnews.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Yes your right I did misunderstand. Thank's for putting me straight. So what this guy is saying is like most habitual criminals these priest can justify they're crimes to themselves because it doesn't break they're vow of celibacy. well i agree with him about the compulsory celibacy being outdated i think they will have too confront this soon or later. But i dont believe this is why they commit these crimes . peadophilia is like being straight or gay it's a sexual prefrenece so i don't think being able marry will solve the problem.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
isnt there a passage in the bible where the Israelites capture some prisoners and god commands them not to touch the women prisoners till they are old enough to have menstruation? (something to that effect) and never to touch the boys in a sexual way. So how could they go against the word of god and touch children. (I'm not saying that at 13 just because a girl is starting her menstruation that she should be touched, but most of the offenses are against children in the age range of 5-10. So even if they claim stupidity they must (being the astute scholars of the bible they are) realize that the word of god forbids them touching these children. Also the Vatican should see this as an issue too. excommunicate the ones who do it and explain that god is against this act. Time for them to step up to the plate and do some real world miracles.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
They don't believe this. Not at all.

Rationalization is the guilty consciences way to validating itself. That is all this is.

They know what they did was wrong, but rationalized it so they could appease their own guilt. Just like when you break your New Years Resolution by eating a Hershey's with Almonds.

"Oh, i will make sure i do an extra 30 minutes on the treadmill to make up for it".

Rationalization.

To me, it is damning proof that they knew what they were doing was wrong.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Whats stupid about it all is... its the celibacy thats the cause of the problem.

Where does it state a man (or woman) of god has to be celibate?, its just some ridiculous logic leap by the early catholic church where, Oh it never mentions Jesus had a wife or kids (which if you think of the time, place and culture he lived in, would be so out of the norm it would be ridiculous) in the bible therefore to be more godly we should be like that and ditch that aspect of our existance also.

You take a guy (or woman) stick em in an environment where they have to deny a natural part of their existence for decades and of course your gonna end up with a sexually depraved individual where if they had a wife or husband like they should, any deviant sexual desires that might exist in the persons psyche is either repressed to a non dangerous level or it never surfaces to begin with.

The Catholic church needs to abolish the entire stupid idea of celibacy in its priests, its un-natural, has nothing to do with gods religion and as we've seen causes huge issues... all you have to do is research where the term 'bugger' comes from to realize just what sort of leaps of logic some people do to justify the removal of normal, natural sex from a dedicated religious life...

So simple, drop celibacy in priests/nuns ... and let em live a normal less cloistered life. Celibacy has nothing to do with a stronger spiritual connection/faith... nothing.

Edit:- Oh and don't take my use of the term Wife and Husband the wrong way (cause you know some people more than likely will
), while I think a marriage is the best option for a couple and their children to live in I have nothing against those that don't marry, nor same gender couple.

Its just that in most religious belief systems marriage is the option you should choose, hence the term wife and husband in regards to the Catholics ... and no ill never use the term 'partner', its to PC and the original marital terms have no gender inequality what so ever to them in my mind, thats just something feminists and chauvinists try to put forward.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   
so not only can a priest have any kind of sex just dont get married?
it seems it is ok for Catholics to fiddle with kids and # them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
or is it just the priests?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by BigfootNZ

Yes, its the celibacy that is the whole problem. These ministry, providing the world doesnt get a real dose of TRUTH anytime soon, and these religions continue, need to be upgraded with men and women equally able to serve, and married ones at that like most of the other Christian Churches.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Yeah...that is pretty ridiculous. This is just a scapegoat...they don't really believe this.

On a side note...maybe it has something to do with Catholics in general. I know Catholic girls (of legal age of course...please don't label me as a peddy) have an odd little policy/belief about virginity. I guess there are "technicalities" in which you can get around the whole no sex before marriage thing. I'm not complaining...I'm just saying...there may be a pattern.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
They know what they did was wrong, but rationalized it so they could appease their own guilt.

To me, it is damning proof that they knew what they were doing was wrong.

Agree on that.

The idea that fondling boys is alright, but sex with women wrong, is the product of warped, sick thinking.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Just goes to show you a large part of any religion is mind control.

Down with religion.
Up with spirituality.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Urban legend round here states that sex with a virgin cures AIDS.

The younger the female virgin, the greater the certainty she is still a virgin.

That was the dumbest idea i'd ever heard of. Til now.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by harryhaller
Urban legend round here states that sex with a virgin cures AIDS.

The younger the female virgin, the greater the certainty she is still a virgin.

That was the dumbest idea i'd ever heard of. Til now.

You from South Africa?

www.snopes.com...
Not for the squeamish.
Unsubstantiated but they go on to claim 21,000 children were raped in 2001 and how pressing a problem it is.

Very sad, all of it. People are sicker than animals could ever think to be.

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Who cares what they think start executing these poor excuses of human excrement!

Second line

posted on Apr, 30 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
This is just like those guys who dont think having a dude suck their junk is homosexual.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join