It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The *Official* RUSH Thread

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Finally got the Time Machine concert on the DVR....Moving Pictures in it's entirety is awesome!!
edit on 10-12-2011 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Here's an out take bonus feature I just found from Beyond the Lighted Stage. It's called Dinner With Rush At a Hunting Lodge .
It's about as long as Xanadu..so you can all sit through it. It's absolutely hilarious how funny Alex is. It's also great to see how well these guys fit together. Even after 35 or so years. This shows just how much of regular guys these 3 are. This is why they are so great together on stage and in the studio.

They each have their own personality, but they fit together perfectly. They aren't just a band, but truly are friends.

I wonder how many bottles of wine they actually went through that night?

edit on 22-1-2012 by webpirate because: spelling

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Great video. Alex reminds me of Steve Martin and just as funny. Neal's laugh is contagious.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

Yeah....I really would have loved to have had that empty seat!!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Here's one I was just watching and wanted to share it. Not truly an oldie. Sort of a midie for them!! lol I liked it when it was first released, but it sounds so much better through Alex's Hughes & Kettners than the solid states he used to record this with originally!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Today is 2-1-12 or we Rush fans can say 2112.... And a great day to listen to this album.

Enjoy my friends!!

edit on 1-2-2012 by syrinx2112 because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-2-2012 by syrinx2112 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by syrinx2112

I wish they would perform the entire song live more often. I can see why they usually don't, but hearing it on Different Stages live is amazing. I think Alex should have built up Discovery a little slower live like he does on the album...cause they guy is "learning" how to play, but still...that little part of Discovery is really nice. Then again..he did write the music for it there so I guess he can play it how he wants!

Even thought it does appear on All the World's A Stage, it's missing Discovery....which I think is the most important part of the song, and one of the other smaller parts....I honestly can't remember which one!

Every time I have seen them they only did Overture and Temples....and they are usually "staples" of every concert now. One of my all time favorite songs ever. 2112.

Neil is trying to tell us all something...even back in 1976 that is more relevant today than then even about the direction the world is heading.

On a side note....total trivia here, 21:12 written like that is military time for 9:12 PM 9-12..September 12 is Neil's birthday.

The last part:

Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.

The first line has 7 words. Repeated 3 times. 7X3=21
The last line has 4 words Repeated 3 time. 4X3=12

Coincidence?

I didn't even notice what you meant until after this post. The significance of today! 2-1-12 !!

Nice catch!
edit on 1-2-2012 by webpirate because: additional thoughts

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I had front row seats for T4E, so been there done that. Having seen the first half of 2112, I want to see the second half now. Or Cygnus X-1:Book 2. I could dig on them pulling out AFTK and playing that whole album also, some goodies there. I'm still a little ticked they ditched Jacob's Ladder last tour. They had practiced it but felt it didn't work. I disagree but I'm not in the band.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate

The last part:

We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.
We have assumed control.

The first line has 7 words. Repeated 3 times. 7X3=21
The last line has 4 words Repeated 3 time. 4X3=12

Coincidence?

I didn't even notice what you meant until after this post. The significance of today! 2-1-12 !!

Nice catch!
edit on 1-2-2012 by webpirate because: additional thoughts

Holy hell - WOW
Thanks so much for posting!

Yes, I posted 2112 this morning on FB. Got a lot of "nerd" comments. I said "Thanks."
When I was in 5th grade my babysitter played this. I made my mom buy it for me that weekend and listened to it daily for years. My all time fav album ever. As a kid, I was just sure there were hidden meanings - perhaps the answers to universal questions in the lyrics if I could just decipher them. After all these years it still has that mystical, foreboding, and euphoric feel for me.

I love the flip side just as much. Something For Nothing & Tears \m/

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

I'm just glad the math there didn't come out to be 2012 instead of 2112!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
2112, awesome. Fly by Night too. Overture/Syrinx that's as good as it gets. I can add to it though, from Farewell to Kings:

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
If Neil Peart was a US citizien, maybe he is now... If he were to vote, I would say NP would vote for RP.... What say you?

Neil Peart for Ron Paul?

I'm going by his books, his lyrics and his many mentions of Ayn Rand.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by syrinx2112

I think he would practice what he preaches!

The hypocrites are slandering
The sacred halls of Truth
Ancient nobles showering
Their bitterness on youth
Can't we find
The minds that made us stong
Can't we learn
To feel what's right and wrong

Cities full of hatred
Fear and lies
Withered hearts
And cruel, tormented eyes
Scheming demons
Dressed in kingly guise
Beating down the multitude
And scoffing at the wise
Can't we raise our eyes
And make a start
Can't we find the minds
To lead us closer to the Heart

And the men who hold high places
Must be the ones who start
To mold a new reality
Closer to the heart

The way he writes, and thinks...personally, I think he would vote for himself.

I know I would.......

I'd rather have a "bleeding-heart libertarian" Canadian as he has called himself as the US President, than a Fascist Kenyan any day!

btw...he is still Canadian even though he lives in both Santa Monica and Quebec.

edit on 14-2-2012 by webpirate because: additional info

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Here's an oldie but goodie.
And has found it's way on my avatar for the moment!

posted on Feb, 24 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Awesome video...

Is that an Easter Egg?

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Yeah...it is good quality even at only 240. And I don't think it is an Easter Egg..if it is I can't find where it's from.

posted on Feb, 27 2012 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Recently a friend was browsing my last.fm library where RUSH is my #2 most played artist and he left a message asking if it was true that RUSH has never written "a song about girls". I laughed to myself because it seemed such an absurd question, then I realized I'd never thought about it before despite being such a huge fan of their lyrics. Even though I own all their studio albums, plus a couple DVDs, until recently my RUSH knowledge had been limited to pre-Roll the Bones releases. I flipped through the later titles anyway and concluded that "Ghost of a Chance" was probably the closest thing to a love song I'd find. (RTB was my first intro to RUSH and 20 yrs later it's still my fave). Anyway, I did a search to see if the question had been asked by others and was tickled pink when I found this on Songfacts:

Neil Peart (from the "Roll The Bones Radio Special"): "I've always shied away from love songs and even mentioning the word in songs because it's so much cliché, and until I thought that I'd found a new way to approach it, or a new nuance of it to express, I was not going to write one of those kind of songs. "Ghost of a Chance" fit right in with my overall theme of randomness and contingency and so on, but at the same time it was a chance for me to write about love in a different way; of saying, "Here are all these things that we go through in life and the people we meet, it's all by chance. And the corners we turn and the places we go and the people we meet there." All those things are so random and yet through all of that people do meet each other, and if they work at it they can make that encounter last. So I'm saying there's a ghost of a chance it can happen, and the odds are pretty much against it, but at the same time that ghost of a chance sometimes does come through and people do find each other and stay together."

I just thought of something else. I know my gender isn't usually well-disposed to RUSH - could it be related to the dearth of love songs? Perhaps it makes them inaccessible or un-relatable to some. Browsing over the older posts here I felt a bit out of my element because, even though I love their overall sound enough to keep their albums on repeat for days on end, I've always been more drawn to their lyrics. I wonder if this too is gender-related, as I've noticed that when referencing RUSH guys tend not to cite albums like RTB or Grace Under Pressure, which are more lyrically-driven...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Written before Neil joined but it's a girl song. Counterparts is all about relationships, well, mostly, so it's kind of girly. In a manly philosophical type way.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Here is a great new video.
RUSH - "Headlong Flight" - Official Lyric Video

posted on Jul, 9 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Here's another of their new songs from Clockwork Angels.

This is one of the best songs Neil has writeeen in years in my opinion. NO...there is no actual video yet for the song, just the musics.

If you like the song...go buy the album!!!

The breaker's roar
On an unseen shore,
In the teeth of a hurricane,
Oh, we struggle in vain

A hellish night,
A ghostly light,
Appears through the driving rain,
Salvation in a human chain

All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary of a miracle too good to be true,
All I know is that sometimes the truth is contrary everything in life you thought you knew
All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary, 'cause sometimes the target is you

Driven aground,
With that awful sound
Drowned by the cheer from the shore,
Oh, we wonder what for?

The people swarm
Through the darkling storm.
Gather everything they can score
'Til their backs won't bear any more.

All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary of a miracle too good to be true,
All I know is that sometimes the truth is contrary everything in life you thought you knew,
All I know is that sometimes the truth is contrary, 'cause sometimes the target is you.

The breaker's roar
On an unseen shore,
In the teeth of an icy grave,
In the teeth of an icy grave

Whoa, the human chain
Leaves a bloody stain,
Washed away in the pounding waves,
Washed away in the pounding waves

All I know is that sometimes the truth is contrary everything in life you thought you knew
All I know is that sometimes you have to be wary, 'cause sometimes the target is you.
All I know is that memory can be too much to carry striking down like a bolt from the blue

All I know is that sometimes the truth is contrary, 'cause sometimes the target is you

If really surprised no one else has been on this thread since the new release!!!

This is an amazing album, and is being worked into a novel by Neil Peart and Kevin J. Anderson

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join