It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boca Raton business owners accused of running human trafficking ring

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Boca Raton business owners accused of running human trafficking ring

www.sun-sentinel.com

They came to America chasing a dream.

They were promised work as servers in Boca Raton's country clubs and hotels with the assurance of high wages and overtime.

They got the work but not the money, and the married couple who brought the 50 Filipinos to Boca Raton treated them as slaves, according to a federal indictment released Wednesday.

Between July 2006 and June 2008 the victims were crammed into a house, threatened with arrest and deportation should they try to leave and were not given enough food or water. They were kept from any outside communication and coaxed into believing
(visit the link for the full news article)

ed:fixed link

[edit on 4/29/2010 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
This is just terrible, preying on people who are just trying to seek a better life and opportunity.

These criminals should serve time equal to the time they stole from those 50 workers, and hopefully the victims can get some restitution as well.

Back in the day, neighbors would have noticed something wrong, these days? not so much, a further example of the degradation of society in the US in my opinion.

www.sun-sentinel.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

ed:fixed link

[edit on 4/29/2010 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Very sad. I was thinking this today, walking from the mailbox waving at no one. In Florida we are all anonymous. Unfriendly not neighborly.
Where I lived in New York, Lake George and the Virgin Islands we all knew each other. Though we didn't always like one another we tolerated and even then stuck together as a community.

Here, we don't even want to know our neighbors.
This is why.

Just like crime watch tips we need as a public service some information telling neighbors what to look for to spot and identify these and even worse types of horrific human trafficking rings operating under our noses.

People cannot be aware of what a huge and growing modern day atrocity this crime of human trafficking has become.
For the trafficker; humans can generate a regular steady income whereas drugs and guns are only a one time sale.

I have to think, if citizens really knew - they would drop all other battles until this one is won.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by rusethorcain]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by rusethorcain

That's horrible, I must be somewhat insulated here in the sticks, even though my neighbors are a good walk away, we always try to touch base and look out for one another, share some tales, some harvested goods etc.

Even though my neighbors are further away now, my family is much closer to the one's we have now than when we lived in a more populated area.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This is a shame, but as rusethorcain stated it seems like in these days everyone is moving apart for one reason or another. Even the neighborhood I'm living in now it seems as if no one wants to communicate with one another as much. I know my parents know at least two or three people, but that is a severe downfall from the neighborhood we were in while living in Charleston South Carolina. That place was at least two times bigger than this one and people were more friendly though that was at least 10 years ago now I think..?

It's also sad to see that nobody is out anymore walking, bicycling or what not. The occasional person with a dog walks every now and again but I have begun to expect that they only do so because of the dog. Other than that it seems not only are people trying to distance themselves, but also stay inside. When living up north and sometimes buried in Snow you'd think on a day in which the temperature reaches 70 for the first time in months people would run outside.

Oh well, seems my post got a little side-tracked because of the previous discussion. I do hope that those people will at least be compensated in someway shape or form and those employers get something coming to them.

top topics

join