It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burning the oil spill : how to aggravate a catastrophy.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

Oil "cleanups" are a complete and utter joke. Alaskans and the animals in that area are STILL suffering from Exxon Valdez. Yet oil companies make record profits every year. LA and the rest of the gulf will be forever changed from this disaster. I hope this is a lesson learned for all the idiots clamoring for more offshore drilling. I mean in some regards a nuclear reactor disaster would be safer than an oil spill and the economic impact would be a lot less. But clean, safe nuclear technology makes too much sense for corporate America and the US government. Intelligent and efficient ideas don't bode well in a organizations filled with idiots.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:49 AM
link   
just heard that it could be 120-240 days til they can cap it off. I would imagine that the well head is completely obstructed by debris, so getting to it will be tricky. Nothing like a mile of drilling pipe laying on a wellhead. This will be bad. Really the only thing that can go down there is the little ROV's and they are not capable of moving even one section of pipe let alone many.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by inbound
just heard that it could be 120-240 days til they can cap it off. I would imagine that the well head is completely obstructed by debris, so getting to it will be tricky. Nothing like a mile of drilling pipe laying on a wellhead. This will be bad. Really the only thing that can go down there is the little ROV's and they are not capable of moving even one section of pipe let alone many.
so it wont be done by the start of hurricane season and how will hurricane season effect the efforts to cap it????

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by alchemist2012

Dont know, I wonder if a hurricane could even survive in a body of water covered by oil, ya know if the oil would have a cooling effect on the water by creating shade. Thats pretty much as bad a scenario as I coud imagine in this situation. They wouldnt be able to work during one thats for sure.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:05 PM
link   
hello i had an idea on my own thread, but i can put it out here too..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I ask only for your input .....

Just like a hot air balloon captures warm air in an atmosphere, couldn't we place a large "balloon" around the oil leak, capturing the oil as it displaces the water in the cavity, and have a pump hose built in to the top of the structure to vent and pump out the oil to a waiting ship..

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by mike_trivisonno

... they want "to increase the use of solar and wind". How that is going to work, no one knows. It just means huge increases in electric bills...like Obama, main man in the Chicago Climate Exchange scam, said they would.

Are you kidding? That really is the solution for our manmade energy crisis, tidal generators, gravity panels on highways too ...

If you drive down to a city center and gaze in wonder at the hundreds upon hundreds of hydro towers that run lines, picture each one of those as a linked solar or wind tower, instead of a metal-framed tower.

To upgrade the current towers, you could use paint with photo-receptive nano-leaves or micro-leaves - the technology exists and it would be a one-time upgrade. Problem solved! Not quite that simply, but that's the idea.
As it is, every foot electricity has to travel through those lines takes away energy.

On highways you could implement hydrolic or spring-driven gravity panels, an idea I've thougt about for years. Every car or truck that passes over it depresses a plate a few millimetres and generates a tiny amount of energy - you could run entire cities.

All the glass on buildings could be solar panels. Cars could run on electricity and fuel up, for free, at battery exchanges or solar stations similar to the tower concept. Here is good application of technology, for the benefit of mankind.

Tidal/Wave generators work well and generate free power. Look at Holland coastlines for successful operations. I believe there is a way to also use the pressure of deep-sea for cost-free power aboard submarines, by use of airlocks, and amplifying power using the force of water rushing into chambers. The power generated providing for a surplus to run a ship, and expulse the water.

The ideas are freely arrived to my mind, and should be free to share. Not to see some capitolist conglomerate get rich. You can't take a pick-axe to the closest factory in a hope to change the world, but you can provide the impetus for positive changes.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Northwarden]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Here's a link to local news, the oil may hit land tonight
www.wwltv.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I am a grown man.

This really makes me want to cry.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Elements of an ecological disaster

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0522e6e83dbf.jpg[/atsimg]

Beware : if ever the head of the well explodes under pression, it will be totally out of control.

This is becoming a national emergency !

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by babybunnies

I might be missing something here, but if they set fire to the spill, won't they simply have oil slicks on fire approaching the coast instead of just oil slicks?

No. The entire spill is not set on fire. A chunk of it is segmented off, towed to a remote area, and burned. The burn itself takes about an hour.

What's left over is a very hard residue that is easily collected, and non-toxic to animals. Very good solution, actually. The problem is the wind direction is expected to shift and push the slick towards land. We are running out of time.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Northwarden

On highways you could implement hydrolic or spring-driven gravity panels, an idea I've thougt about for years. Every car or truck that passes over it depresses a plate a few millimetres and generates a tiny amount of energy - you could run entire cities.

Very clever!
Is this your own idea? It is actually brilliant in it's simplicity.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join