It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burning the oil spill : how to aggravate a catastrophy.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Source

There is more negative fallout from the burning of fossil fuels such as oil.
One such example is acid rain. As the name suggests, acid rain is a more acidic rain than normal. The burning of these fuels creates sulfur dioxides and nitrogen oxides in the air and when they merge with the moisture, acid rain is created. And what does this acid do? It penetrates the rivers, lakes and streams and can kill plants, fish and wildlife in the surrounding areas.
Also, there is the structural damage that takes place as a result of the constant acid beating on buildings, statues and other structures. Concrete, brick and other building substances are literally eaten away.

It will be difficult to set fire to the oil spill.
If ever this succeeds, it will aggravate the catastrophy.
Somme reasons of thisd claim are into the quoted text.
But there are others :

You know were and quite when the oil will go to, when floating on the ocean.
But you don't once it is flamed and transformed in black and oily smoke.
The polluted surface may be huge, much larger than the surface polluted by the liquid oil.

And ... Don't be fooled : not all the oil can be flamed, meaning that this will NOT avoid the pollution of the coasts.

Probably the most volatile products will burn (they are also the most easy cleansible products). But the muds will not, and they will get ashore.

Very sadly, this is really an unavoidable catastrophy.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
America cannot be allowed to extend drilling. This attack was a clear signal to the American elite that the Oil elite are not pleased that the people want to drill for more oil. To make sure we don't they blew up one of our oil platforms.

This was no accident. And miraculously, all talk of injecting massive job growth, economic prosperity, and increasing standards of living in states like Florida and Georgia through the expansion of oil drilling operations, have ceased completely. We are NOT ALLOWED to drill for oil!

Instead legislation is moving through state legislators to allow electric utility companies to raise prices whenever they want "to increase the use of solar and wind". How that is going to work, no one knows. It just means huge increases in electric bills...like Obama, main man in the Chicago Climate Exchange scam, said they would.

There is too many convenient things about this "explosion".

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
America cannot be allowed to extend drilling. This attack was a clear signal to the American elite that the Oil elite are not pleased that the people want to drill for more oil. To make sure we don't they blew up one of our oil platforms.

This was no accident. And miraculously, all talk of injecting massive job growth, economic prosperity, and increasing standards of living in states like Florida and Georgia through the expansion of oil drilling operations, have ceased completely. We are NOT ALLOWED to drill for oil!

Instead legislation is moving through state legislators to allow electric utility companies to raise prices whenever they want "to increase the use of solar and wind". How that is going to work, no one knows. It just means huge increases in electric bills...like Obama, main man in the Chicago Climate Exchange scam, said they would.

There is too many convenient things about this "explosion".

Will, this spill is from BP (British Petroleum).

I flagged the thread, in the hope that people will wake up to this catastrophe of historic proportions.

Now leaking 200,000 gallons a day.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:46 AM
link   
If the politicians were truly concerned for the environment,rather than using soley to generate new taxes and restrictions on joe public,companies such as BP would be disbanded/fined out of existence.

But oh no...Its me and you who has to put 5 different bin containers out,have our electric controlled with smart meters,and gets taxed to the point of poverty when it comes to driving or buying fuel.

BP or similar companies can do what the hell they like to the environment.Sure they will get slapped with a "record" fine-but even it that was in the 10s of billions its less than pocket change to such a company-and the damage has been done,how ever much they are fined.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Updated overflight as of 04/27/2010 :
Link to full scale image

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/50e8bbfc4f8b.jpg[/atsimg]

The initial 1000 barels leak has been updated to 5000 barels a day !

Look at the overflight : quite 4000 square miles.

Seems that very little ATSers are interested in what is really a HUGE catastrophy !

Edited to add a link to the full scale image

[edit on 29/4/2010 by orkson]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Truth is, much of our critical infrastructure is controlled by foreign companies tied to foreign governments.

Water-Veolia (France)
Power-Seimens(Germany)
Highways-Spain
Airways-United Nations
etc.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Actually i am concerened i live on the Gulf Coast..and not if thats bad the mississippi river runs into the gulf and if not contained this spill could go all the way up river

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
If we burn it, it would be like a big bonfire for our love of the earth. It would really be a nice symbol you know?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Star and Flagged, I live in Southeastern LA, and this is all we are talking about down here. The oil is expected to reach land by Friday night I believe. I was hoping that thsi oil spill would be top news here on ATS this morning but it seems the only Catastrophe's that make headlines on this site anymore are earthquakes and volcano's. I posted these links in another thread about the oil spill. They're from our local news stations
www.wwltv.com...
www.fox8live.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by orkson

Yeah not only on this website but overall in the media this is getting 2 minute coverage and that's it. Sandra Bullock's baby has gotten more attention than this disaster. This is a catastrophe of epic proportions. Im sickened by this. It's disgusting. BP needs to be held accountable. This is going to destroy the coastal environment in many areas. God I'm so sick of the way human beings are treating nature.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I just watched oceans last night too at the theatres and on the way home from T.O this morning, Deringer's morning show mentioned the size of the oil spill and the bright idea to burn it. In the meantime, there was a commercial on the radio saying we "consumers" need to be aware of mother nature and take care of it as its our home and most precious of all things. We are a strange species.

The worst part is petroleum is used in thousands of products, maybe millions.

"Why use up the forests which were centuries in the making and the mines which required ages to lay down, if we can get the equivalent of forest and mineral products in the annual growth of the hemp fields?"
- Henry Ford

there is potential to transcend this issue. The problem is hemp could be plentiful and thus not suited to a money market where scarcity, artificial or otherwise, keeps products worth static at worst, and growing at best.

Inequality is good for business and part of the reason we continue with this madness.

Cheers

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:18 AM
link   

A Canadian oil spill expert tells the BBC today that the Louisiana oil spill is going to dwarf the Exxon Valdez disaster, and with the possible exception of the Kuwait oil field fires following the first Gulf War, will be the worst oil field disaster in history. Meanwhile, it turns out that the damaged deep-water well is gushing five times more oil than previously thought. And US regulators did not require an extra level of emergency shut-off protection -- which Norway and Brazil do require in their offshore wells -- that might have prevented the spill.

blog.beliefnet.com...

7 day into the disaster at 200,000 gal a day = 1,400,000 already leaked.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by 911stinks

"Today" that as much as 5,000 barrels of oil a day may be leaking into the Gulf, up from original estimates of 1,000 barrels a day, matching calculations issued late Wednesday from federal investigators.

Link

5000 barrels is bad but nowhere close to your 200,000 claim.

Deny ignorance.

-Al

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlBeMet

"Today" that as much as 5,000 barrels of oil a day may be leaking into the Gulf, up from original estimates of 1,000 barrels a day, matching calculations issued late Wednesday from federal investigators.

Link

5000 barrels is bad but nowhere close to your 200,000 claim.

Deny ignorance.

-Al

A barrel of oil hold 42 gallons. 5000X42, well, you do the math.

Deny ignorance indeed.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   

I apologize, in my speed reading I missed a key word "Gallon". I thought you said barrels.

-Al

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wondering302

I too am from the area. Right now I am away from home in school, this doesnt bode well with me. Most along the coast are already struggling, but thats a whole nother thread. This has the potential to be the Coup de grace. That coastline has been my stomping grounds for nearly 4 decades now, and I fear what I am going to return to. Jindal- Do not wait on the Feds- you know better.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Bah, summer vacation back at the folks might suck this year

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I might be missing something here, but if they set fire to the spill, won't they simply have oil slicks on fire approaching the coast instead of just oil slicks?

I appreciate that the idea is to burn off up to 90% of the oil before it hits the coast, but I can see the fire easily getting out of hand on a spill of this size.

Shouldn't they get the leak under control first before they set fire to the effluent?

RIP Red Adair.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
This is absolutely SICKENING! WTF???????????????????????????????????????????????? AMERICA CAN"T DO ANYTHING ANYMORE EFFICIENTLY? WHy wasn't EPA and Homeland and Security working with BP DAYS AGO???????? Just NOW they are putting out a press briefing? My god we have complete idiots running our government and military. IF you're going to do something get it the f'k done! This is another Katrina except on an environmental disaster! God help those poor creatures and people of the Gulf. This coudl affect the Miss river, and other oceans fo the world. BP needs to pay for EVERYTHING and then some! #ing idiots!

They are STILL trying to shut the well? Drop some effing bombs on it if need be. I mean man........what a bunch of incompetent idiots BP is full of . Do they not plan for these disasters? It's like these mining companies........the oil companies don't follow safety regulations. And now everyone is running around wondering what went wrong? Idiots running America and corporations.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Zosynspiracy]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Being from the Gulf Coast my worries double..now if someone with a idea or a notion of how long a spill this size would take to clean up??the reason i ask this question is we are soon approaching Hurricane season and they have all ready stated its going to be active so what impact would oil infected burnt oil slicks have on the gulf coast if another Katrina or Rita happened..some one give me a idea because mine are horrible

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join