It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If our civilization was destroyed, would we become "Gods"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I hope that title makes sense. I was having a discussion today about this and wanted to get your input. here goes...

Lets say the world was wiped out by a cataclismic event. meteor, ice age, or whatever. Everything was lost, buried, destroyed and over thousands of years only stories were left. Of course the stories would be passed down and reinterprited as expected. Thousands of years later if a new civilization thrived, the remnants and stories of our people, acheivements, morals and such could become their Religion. We could be looked at as "Gods" to them. Worshipped. The survivors of our time may be looked upon as Adam and Eve of their world. Our technologies, or at least stories of those technologies would be thought of as "Godly" since there is no way anyone could have lived way back then that was advanced enough to possess the intellegence, intelect or ability to do those things. Stories of flying machines would be laughed at. The Internet may be remembered as the god who could see and communicate with all beings at once. If the stories were believed then the only explaination is God. Of course some artifacts would survive, only to affirm their religious beliefs.

I know this is not exactly an original thought, but wanted to open a discussion relating to this, for this could have happened in our past...many times...

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by GriBiT]

[Edited on 5-6-2004 by GriBiT]

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I kinda get where you're going but it sounds more like a movie then anthropology to me.

See humans usually try to understand a society based upon their own tech level and culture. Durring the ancient times, there were the stories of Atlantis, and the mystical powers they held, however I don't believe that Atlantians themselves were seen as gods, more just powerful advanced people.

The idea of a god usually has to have some weight on people's everyday lives. No matter how advanced we became before our destruction we would not be seen as gods because we'd all be dead and unable to affect the people's lives. We would become a great mystery and our lives would probably be greatly romatic to the people of the future, but that's about it.

~Astral

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
[QUOTE]We would become a great mystery and our lives would probably be greatly romatic to the people of the future, but that's about it. [/QUOTE]

well, isn't that what God is? a great mystery?

[QUOTE] The Internet may be remembered as the god who could see and communicate with all beings at once[/QUOTE]

now THAT! is very interesting!

I like your theory GriBiT, humans have a big tendency to make up big legends and believing them!

posted on Jun, 5 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
We would be looked at as god's civilization and "holy people" if proof of our technlogy and advancetments were known to them after we die. But somehow I get the feeling that you are trying to say this happend to us and thats how modern day people got their religion. I would strongly disagree.

[edit on 083030p://ex30 by AD5673]

posted on Jun, 6 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
[QUOTE] The Internet may be remembered as the god who could see and communicate with all beings at once[/QUOTE]

now THAT! is very interesting!

I like your theory GriBiT, humans have a big tendency to make up big legends and believing them!

You summed up what I was really trying to say with this thread. When you read parts of ancient holy scripture there are many parts that describe things we cannot truly explain except when using modern or advanced comparisions. The reason they are so vauge is because people of that time couldn't explain them. Those could easily be explained as modern devices and such. I will try and locate some links that show examples of these.

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I don't think we had an internet before. but I do agree that it is very plausible for future generation. Cause in a future like that, there would be plenty of archeological stuff to be found. Unless all of the surface of earth had been turned upside down, leavnig no trace of whatsoever. Planet reset lol. but then we would not have dinausaurs remnant. but religion could come from something similar. Maybe it was an earlier verion of Aussie Bloke who started a rumor about a god lol

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:00 AM
link   
With all the people praying for Armageddon because of how bad they view things to be in the world right now, wouldn't it be funny if our era came to be regarded as a Golden Age? We're the Ancient Wise Ones of tomorow, folks!

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate100 We're the Ancient Wise Ones of tomorow, folks!

Yeah, right. Wouldn't that just be sad?

Nutzo

posted on Jun, 7 2004 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by nutzobalzo

Originally posted by Hecate100 We're the Ancient Wise Ones of tomorow, folks!

Yeah, right. Wouldn't that just be sad?

Nutzo

Sad, yes and no. Hopefully they would learn from out mistakes and praise our accomplishments. When it comes to legends they usually are mixed with fantasy that makes them greater than they truely were. Also, ore morals thaqn direct facts. It's not like they are going to remember our polotics nessessarily, but our technilogical feats.

new topics

top topics

join