It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does MIA's Born Free video overstep the mark?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   

Does MIA's Born Free video overstep the mark?

www.guardian.co.uk

Released on Monday, removed from YouTube the same day, reinstated with an "age restriction", then taken down once more (and possibly for good) on Tuesday. The life of MIA's new video seems destined to be a nasty, brutish and short one. Unlike the video itself, which at nine minutes of gruelling, dystopian terror, is nasty, brutish and quite long.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.guardian.co.uk
www.guardian.co.uk
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
This music video seems to be raising a few eyebrows.

Apparently it is a small part of a full length feature film 'Red-Heads' to be released by young political activist director, Romain Gavras.

You can see the fullscreen video here: www.miauk.com...

*Warning, Very Graphic*

More info about the video and artist in the extra links.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Wide-Eyes]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
I don't think it does.
I quite like it personally and the actual song is decent enough. So it has a message and is a part of an upcoming film which may or may not be good. Certainly it is out to get a response from people and make them think a bit more, but i guess sometimes human nature can hit a little too close to home for some.
Meh, plenty of others get away with similar or worse things on tv or in movies.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Doesn't over step the mark, it rams home a message and a warning, get ready it's coming, best music vid I've seen for a while.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Thepreye

I think your spot on with what you've just written.

Things are getting worse for peoples freedoms and it does show that openly.
If you corner a animal so much it will attack you, no difference in any human who wants to live.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:47 AM
link   
I can see what you mean. There is no doubt that the video is violent, this is human nature to many individuals on this planet. Thankfully I am not included in this bracket.

In regards to 'over stepping the mark' No I don't think so, people need to see these sort of images to realise just how dispicable we (human collectiveness) can be.

In order to educate people and open the eyes of others one must understand that the world we live in is not all about TV Commercials and Fastfood, theres a little bit more to it than that I am afraid to say.

Peace x

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Yes, I thought it might touch a nerve with ATS as it is what many expect if all this NWO sinister agenda stuff is true.

I don't think it's that graphic tbh but scary to think it could happen to us.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:53 AM
link   
This video to me plays like a movie. Rather then a music video. If you read up M.I.A's life you can tell she comes from a large political background and she's one of the few celebrities to know something about world politics.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Honestly I paid more attention to the video than the lyrics, the few that there were. And I must say as graphic as the video was I enjoyed it. Do you think this is why America is hated?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlightOfTheNavigator
Honestly I paid more attention to the video than the lyrics, the few that there were. And I must say as graphic as the video was I enjoyed it. Do you think this is why America is hated?

Agree with you on the vid in question, but I reckon it's a combination of economic and foreign policy that gets the US hated, maybe with a pinch of cristo fundamentalism thrown in for good measure.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Makes you think though...

If they had put an ethnic minority instead of somthing so minor as ginger hair, the clip would surely be banned.

I enjoyed the clip, although I was so engrossed in the powerful images, I completely missed the lyrics to the song. The music just sort of ran along like a great movie score.

Happy death-squadding!

Timbo

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Romantic_Rebel
This video to me plays like a movie. Rather then a music video. If you read up M.I.A's life you can tell she comes from a large political background and she's one of the few celebrities to know something about world politics.

It is from a movie I believe:

Though it is absolutely par for the course that MIA would put out this kind of controversial material, the track is by far the best thing about the video. It's a boost for director Romain Gavras, son of political filmmaker Constantinos, but a convenient "appetiser" for his forthcoming Redheads - a feature-length film on the same themes as the Born Free video.

www.guardian.co.uk...

There is info about the film in this next link but unfortunately it is in French as the Director is a French film maker:
showtimefolks.fr...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

I've never seen Vincent Cassel in a bad movie so this one should good, well worth a look at in French please don't go the route of dub, there's a reason why dubbing voice actors do that work, they're crap!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Nice scapegoat for for racism.The world still views redheads as a joke.Sick planet.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I rekon it was a very thought provoking video,using redheads as the oppressed...sort of made me think how easy us humans can demonise a group of our species for the silliest reasons.

Also how easy it is to turn the oppressed into violent aggressors,the ol rat in a corner syndrome.

Not heard of MIA before...and expected it to be some hard ass punk outfit-I gotta say I was surprised to find out MIA is in fact a pretty young girl-Just goes to show never judge a book by its cover I guess.

I liked the energy in her song as well-I would much rather a bit of anti establishment punkness than the vapid consumer driven sexualised clap trap than dribbles forth from the narco tainted vocal chordzs of (most of) the rest today's young pop trash.

Good on MIA I say,This song would make a great number one to coincide with our election IMO.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I agree, I prefer subtitles because dubbing kills the performance of the actors.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I think it was clever to use Red-heads as the victims/demonised group, any other and there would have been a massive backlash and outrage.

You can replace the Gingers with any minority group and the story/video is the same.. but doing it this way it not only highlights how some abuse/bullying/discrimination is ok and quite mild... and some is completely off limits and taboo.

It seems that mocking Red-heads is not quite acceptable but certainly not as bad as mocking say black people or Jews or whatever other group could have also been used.

I think the film will be interesting when it comes out.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:17 AM
link   
That was pretty horrifying, in terms of a music video though. If we were to look at that as a short film then its a different ball game.

It's clearly got a strong political message and if it takes vulgarity for some people to actually try and search for the bigger meaning in the clips and the irony of the song name, then maybe, just maybe its worth it.

The scene where they made the red headed people run reminded me of the scene from Apocalypto where they made their captives run while they threw spears at them... in this clip the red head ends up being caught and beaten to death, while in Apocalypto he gets away.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I'm not a fan of her music but I respect her because she's extremely political.
She always has a message in her songs and videos and often gets in trouble for airing her views.

Her father was in hiding from the Sri Lanka army for some time too.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by serbsta
The scene where they made the red headed people run reminded me of the scene from Apocalypto where they made their captives run while they threw spears at them... in this clip the red head ends up being caught and beaten to death, while in Apocalypto he gets away.

That scence reminded me of a film from the 70s(I forget the name)in which the hippies got rounded up and hunted in the desert in the USA.

That film was banned I think.

Ah,remebered it was called "Punishment Park"

www.imdb.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join