It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists have detected water-ice on the surface of an asteroid.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Scientists have found water-ice on the asteroid Themis, this you would think isn't anything new or interesting but a few things strike me as interesting with this discovery, one, the water-ice is not stable on it's own therefore it needs to be replenished, scientists are saying maybe from inside the asteroid, another observation I find interesting is they have found a signature for complex organic, or carbon-rich, compounds, so it would appear the observation of this asteroid is a good find for space exploration.

Interesting article about it here: Source

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Majestic RNA]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:40 AM
link   
S+F

Good find. Very interesting. Especially the comment about the POTUS directing NASA to send astronauts to an asteroid. Didnt know that, always like to learn something new first thing on a morning!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by expatwhite

Hi expatwhite, yeah I find that quote interesting too, if you think about it we have many many asteroids floating about in our solar system, yet we have never landed on one with an astronaut present, yes we've studied them but not up close and personal. Exciting times I believe are ahead for space exploration.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:09 PM
link   
There was a number a threads started on this yesterday.

The first one is here.

new topics

top topics

join