It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man 'hasn't eaten, drunk in 70 years'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by stereologist

Huh, fair enough - no mention at NASA either. This really could be a cover-up; it's just bizarre to find absolutely no official word now, not even a NASA disclaimer beyond "who's that guy"? I'm 100% sure I heard that on the radio years ago, I wasn't listening to bizarre stations either, they were mainstream, so it was getting popular attention. Most strange.

Since then Mr. Manek was supposed to have come over to the U.S. to be studied by NASA more carefully. Not so said NASA spokesperson Delores Beasely in June. “We have no record of him being involved with us. We have checked with all offices doing related research at centers such as Johnson, Marshall and Ames.”

Okay, am I the only one that smells a conspiracy afoot? A guy that can survive for 130 days without food and was supposedly being studied by a federal agency is now missing? The word “super-soldier” comes to mind. But seriously…does anyone know where Manek might be?

www.sepiamutiny.com...

regardless of no NASA backing :
www.jsocf.org...

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Northwarden]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I've been reading some very odd interpretations of free will. Free will is violated if you are mind controlled, or if truth is kept from you. Being a mushroom, kept in the dark and fed BS so you can form personal opionios on these matters does not = free will.

Free will is, knowing the truth openly, chosing to be light or dark. That is also truly illusion in the end as well, for everyone is light, and eventually gains back their light status. Some just take a lot longer, and go through some very hard purgings when they realize who they are really and how they have harmed others. We can be very hard on ourselves in these tests.

In this case, I do believe miracles can happen. If he was really awake and activated his Higher Self, who is Superman in this illusion hollogram system, of course he could do this. But would everyone? Don't know. Just because the occasional 80 year old woman can throw a car off someone who is trapped doesn't mean every 20 year old body builder can even if they meditate every day.

Its going within that connects us to the possibilities.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Unity_99]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Manek's claims are a hoax. The problem with the NASA story is that someone makes it up and then others blindly copy and paste the story without asking if it is true or not.

Sungazing - Dr Mercola

In 2003, when trying to confirm reports that NASA had invited HRM for study[xvii], Jan Steinar Haugland[xviii] received a response from NASA spokesperson Dolores Beasley saying she had no idea why reports had claimed that NASA had invited Manek. She went on to say that they have no record of his being involved with them. She also checked all offices doing related research at centers such as Johnson, Marshall, and Ames. Doctors who were supposedly wowed by HRM’s performance in the United States seem less than eager to publicly express their praise. The third “observed” fast lasting 130 days was supposedly performed in Philadelphia, PA, under the direction of Dr. Andrew Newberg[xix] and Dr. George Brainard[xx]. However, contact with Dr. Newberg apparently revealed that Manek was only studied for “brain scans of meditation” at the University of Pennsylvania, not for his ability to fast indefinitely. Dr. Newberg also denied ever undertaking the 130-day study, according to Wikipedia. I emailed HRM himself and asked if he could shed some light on this conflicting information. He responded promptly, stating: When an experience of a person becomes reproducible, it becomes a science. Sun gazing is not for non-eating. It is for health of mind, body and spirit… …The media sometimes reports things in haste, I have never said anything about NASA. Those who believe, they do it, and those who do not believe--to them, any amount of explanation won’t work.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I'm not having this.

I struggle to go 70 minutes without either!

Seriously, I just don't buy it....seen lot's of these Indian mystics....don't sleep...don't fart....blah blah blah...they all have a few things in common....they live in remote villages and always get found out or conveniently disappear before it can be scietific evidence proven either way.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Even though the pessimist in me usually expects negative results, I'm all for speculative research. I think it behooves us as a species to push the boundaries by asking and investigating, "What's possible?" The only way to do that is to perform tests to answer one way or the other whether these "out there" claims actually hold water.

In the case of breatharianism though I take a more contrary position.

Plain and simple, people have died,

BBC: UK: Scotland Woman 'starved herself to death'

Anything that jeopardizes a persons well-being should be investigated ASAP by credentialed medical associations to provide the general public peer-reviewed information about these provably dangerous theories.

This sort of thing isn't a joke. If the people perpetuating these types of beliefs are exposed as frauds they deserve more than just a "Hoaxer" label.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Xtraeme]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
In the case of Manek he is telling people to stare at the sun. The wikipedia entry contains a concern that someone who joined his 'school' ended up with damage to his vision.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
A breatharian huh?
Another example of evolution in action. Too bad they cheat. They mess up the natural order of things.

Phage…..

You gotta love these “Breatharian” guys!

Here’s my favourite part:

Breatharian Institute Of America

Empowered Ascension Workshop payment instructions.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2425c31a1356.jpg[/atsimg]

Please wire payment of $10,000.00 USD to my bank account.
Make payable to:
Wiley C. Brooks
Routing No. 026009593
Account No. 0361772092
Bank Of America
4103 S Western Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90062
323-730-9140 323-730-9140

I will contact you after the deposit has been successfully processed.

THERE WILL BE NO EXCEPTIONS TO THIS METHOD OF PAYMENT.

www.breatharian.com...

I put the Indian gentleman & anybody who says he's legitimate in the same category of taking advantage of peoples’ gullibility.

In fact if we dug more, we might find more “problems”.

Kind regards
Maybe…maybe not

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
I believe the means exist, and long fasts are on record. It also has to do with the people involved, what they've learned, what they've studied, who is helping them on the other side most of all.

Until we hear otherwise, looks like you have debunked the one I brought up, much to my astonishment. That's too bad. I had that fellow on my mind for years. If there are lies about NASA involved, or serious concerns over all his other studies, then it doesn't sit well with me either. I don't for a second think it isn't possible though.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Northwarden]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I see no one paid attention to the extensive bloodwork, MRI scans, ultrasound, doppler, ECG, simple genetic screening done on him in 2003.

Read the medical report in the pdf file and the images from doppler, MRI, ECG and ultrasound in the powerpoint slides.

I emphasise: there WERE negative results. But overall, he seemed to hold on for 10 days.

I repeat in part my page 2 post.

-

I searched for more details about him, and found all the bloodwork/biochemistry tests, imaging scans done on him from the initial 2003 test.

You can find the details at Dr. Sudhir V. Shah's website.

There is a full medical report in pdf, and a full powerpoint slide presentation with MRI imaging pictures, doppler, ultrasound, ECG, genetic test etc...

They are located in the heading "Mataji - Case Study".

From what little I know, 3 negative results stand out to me:

There was an increase in uric acid, may account for lack of urination?

-auditory system damage, which was described as

"Bilateral severe to profound degree of sensori-neural hearing loss."

-a "Gallbladder collapse", not an often used medical term.

This was not peer reviewed, so maybe members here on ATS from the medical field could do part of the review, but not in this predetermined mindset against it from the start.

The full medical and documented evidence is now presented, now there isn't much more to say.

This new doctor from an Indian defense facility is basing his work on fully documented medical evidence reported in 2003.

The scientific method involves replication of previous research, no attempt to hoax people here.

By aiming to replicate and validate previous research, he is following the scientific method.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by jjjtir]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jjjtir

jjjtir.....

I see no one paid attention to the extensive bloodwork, MRI scans, ultrasound, doppler, ECG, simple genetic screening done on him in 2003.

Fair enough.....

I will have a look at that.....probably later today, albeit I don't see why the material couldn't be disingenuous.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Maybe...maybe not]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Not to show any disrespect Sir but don;t you have to drink Elixer.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by polarwarrior

Please...somebody just shoot me now!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by polarwarrior
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

Time will tell. Please tell me you arent basing your hoax claims on "thats impossible"

Polarwarrior.....

Sorry.....I didn't see your reply until just now.

Yes.....I am basing my hoax claim on "that's impossible".....

That & the motivation of these people to invent these stories for attention & publicity & money.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
When did David Blaine grow a beard?

Don't believe it. Why are these people always nourished by spiritual means? Is there any more/less validity to claiming nourishment from humour? Lock me in a room with a stack of old Carry On films and we'll see!

[edit on 4/29/2010 by mithrawept]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I read a book many years ago, i'm pretty sure it's called "Modern Primitives", and in it is a section about Fakir Musafar, and he's practised many tribal rituals/ piercings etc. He noted some fakir's did not urinate for days, and found out they had taken a vow of celibacy and practised penis lengthening techniques (adding weights) until the penis was unable to function sexually (anything over 12" if i remember correctly, Fakir Musafar tried it!). They would wrap their penis' in a turban and then wrap it around their waist, and not need to urinate for a number of days, apparently, if not more than a week, I'm not really sure exactly how long (long time since i read the book), but Fakir Musafar says this is true, and I think he is a pretty straight forward genuine guy.

On another note, I showed this thread to a friend of mine who is a nurse, and first she laughed at the story, then she told me something which I find very strange, she says, and swears by it, that her brother only defecates on average once a week! He eats normally, but (her words...not mine) when he takes a dump, he really takes a dump! Haha lol!...... strange?

I don't know, people not eating/drinking/urinating/defecating, just don't seem right to me, they must be doing themselves more harm than good, it just ain't normal surely?

peace

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
What an awesome statement to put at the end of that article.

"Others have described Mr Jani as a "village fraud"."

What a vague thing to say. Who is "Others"? Some dude in the break room at MSN? I can always count on some desperate statement in articles like this so the columnist doesn't risk being called anything other than what he thinks is level-headed.

Anyways, cool article. Perhaps he's full of it, and perhaps there's truth to be found in it.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by free_form]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I read an article on this guy a while back. He claims to have been visited by some goddess as a child and she granted him this power...

ummmm.... I guess anything is possible... but I don't believe it...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Yeah this fakir probably does have SOME breatharian abilities.

It's called "bigu" btw -- in Taoist Yoga or qigong. Yes it's been verified by science already. I, myself, went 8 days in just half a glass of water. Water is created through reverse electrolysis via the pineal gland and so are nutrients -- so there's no hunger and no thirst. Also your electromagnetic fields increase significantly so you can see and emit light energy for more powerful healing. I healed my mom of a serious leg injury so she no longer needed surgical stockings. I also accidentally pulled this old lady's spirit out of her body -- no touch involved -- just the chi energy. So you do have to be careful when increasing the chi -- but a good book on how to do so is "Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immoratality" -- the same exercise is found in India and the same "bigu" is documented in Yogananda's Autobiography of a Yogi book.

bst.sagepub.com...

Yan Xin Life Science Technology-Optimized Caloric Restriction (YXLST-CR) is a unique food abstinence, which suppresses appetite and sensation of hunger while maintaining physiological homeostasis. The authors review the first clinical case study on YXLST-CR, or YXLST-bigu, a 15-day, 24-hour observation in 1987 on a 21-year-old female undergoing YXLST-bigu for several months. The participant took no food or water and conducted normal physical activities. The daily records of body weight, temperature, pulse rate, blood pressure, and daily urine test results showed no abnormalities.

Studies on the Fundamental Theory of Bigu (Food Abstinence)—Preliminary Experimental Observations of Cellular Bigu

Clinical studies as well as hundreds of case reports have indicated that Yan Xin Life Science Technology has enabled human participants to live a normal life with little or no food intake for prolonged periods—a state referred to as bigu. Bigu is described in historical records as "taking in qi to avoid food," and is regarded as a special technique to achieve a long and healthy life. In this study, experiments were designed to study whether cells in vitro can survive without commonly acknowledged essential nutrients after receiving external qi treatments from Dr. Yan Xin, a chief physician and a renowned life scientist. Results reported here indicate that mouse hybridoma cells can survive in Dulbeco’s modified Eagles medium without serum or in phosphate-buffered saline buffer without other nutrient ingredients after qi treatment. These results are the first evidence that a cellular equivalent of the human bigu phenomenon or cellular bigu phenomenon may occur.

homepages.ihug.co.nz...

Bigu state. (Bigu is a state in which a person maintains a normal life without taking any food. Standard Bigu means very little or no intake of water. Basic Bigu means only drinking water and juice. Non-standard Bigu means ingesting water, juice, and occasionally juicy fruits and vegetable soups). The Eighth Workshop had more than four hundred students, among which only a dozen or so people had eaten food (according to a survey). This was ninety to ninety-five percent short-term Bigu, or Bigu within a given period of time. In Beijing, China, a seventeen year-old high school female student has been in Bigu for over six years, only drinking water. I use Bigu as an example. Perhaps scientific research should explore the basic theories of the Bigu state and further investigate its applications. If we have a scientific breakthrough, perhaps then it is possible that human beings will make tremendous improvements in quality of life. Take for example the cellular experiment I have collaborated on with people at the University of California, San Diego. Supposedly, cellular tissues can only survive among blood serum. Without blood serum, there is no environmental condition to provide the cells with oxygen and other nutrients. But, in this experiment, there was no blood serum, only ordinary liquid, and the cells still survived for more than three months during which time the experiment was being conducted. According to some scientists' analytical opinions, this survival phenomenon was impossible -- but the cells lived. That cells can live in an ordinary liquid, such as water, is somewhat similar to our friends in a Bigu state who, for a long time, even years, have been drinking only water or occasionally a little juice -- an amount of which is supposedly insufficient to provide the energy needed for the maintenance of life. Dr. Raymond Lee of San Diego State University has collaborated with the International Yan Xin Qigong Association on two very strict Bigu experiments, with twenty-four hour a day supervision. The two experiments were one month in duration and very successful. Preliminary experimental conclusions showed that during the supervised period, the average person in Bigu drank merely a half quart of plain water each day. Although people in this Bigu experiment needed to drink a little juice due to blood testing and other interfering factors, the amount of juice converted to energy was far below the energy standard level predicted by the present medical establishment for maintaining a normal life.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Oh ATS, this reminds me of when man said its impossible to build flying craft, its impossible to get man into space, its impossible to go above 40mph, see my point? Wait for the test results, if we say impossible, end of.. Man would still be living in caves.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Please. I didn't even read all the way through...didn't have too. Hoax. How stupid to even post something like that...oh yeah, there are ufo posts too. Ok, everyone comment.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join