It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CNN: Hawking projecting the fear factor?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DjSharperimage
Typical mainstream media brainwashing;

The argument was totally 1 sided;
These guys are astrophysicists not ufologists; we probably study ufo's more than they do

They shouldve had someone from the ufology community on there like the "camelot project"; "steven greer" or "Mel Fabregas from The Veritas Show" to present another viewpoint

Originally posted by spacevisitor
Thanks for posting this short two-man comedy mcrom901.
I really enjoyed it.

I'm confused about some of the replies here...

...Didn't Gupta and Tyson BOTH say that intelligent alien life almost certainly exists (although not necessarily that they are visiting Earth)? Doesn't that more-or-less agree with what Hawking says (i.e. that aliens probably exist). It seems to me the only thing Tyson disagrees with hawking about is whether or not those aliens will necessarily be hostile.

If I'm missing something else here that's making people take exception to what Tyson said, please point it out to me.

I guess I don't understand what the video in the OP had to do with UFOlogy, and why some posters are bringing UFOlogy into the discussion.

[edit on 4/29/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Greer is now a known hoaxer.

He might have started off with admirable intentions, but he's run right off the rails.

Yep, and a quick clip of one of his kumbaya retreats to summon aliens, would immediately discredit him on such a broadcast...

I'd rather see Nick Pope or Stan Friedman represent UFOlogy in MSM...although Timothy Good would be fine also...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10
reply to post by Maybe...maybe not

I think that regarding the replies you have made recently on most of your replies and not just to this thread are negative, im starting to see that its the same dis info people that trawl the threads. Working in packs in some cases..........

Where you see one you are sure to find the rest.

As for Greer been a hoaxer......Is that all you can provide as evidence?
And as for why i added you as foe, its because i aint figured out how to ignore you completely

So being critical is a bad thing? The disinfo people are not critical of saucer/alien stories, they create them.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:47 AM
link   

These guys are astrophysicists not ufologists; we probably study ufo's more than they do

I am wondering if you even bothered watching the video. Can you explain exactly what about it was "media brainwashing"? You also complain they are not ufologists, when ufos were not even brought up.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

If I'm missing something else here that's making people take exception to what Tyson said, please point it out to me.

I guess I don't understand what the video in the OP had to do with UFOlogy, and why some posters are bringing UFOlogy into the discussion.

I think it is evidence said posters either did not watch the video or they are so absolutely closed-minded that they are hostile to anything a scientist such as Tyson has to say.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:20 AM
link   
It seems most people here and that dumbass anchor completely missed the whole point of what hawking was saying.

Tyson understands because he's smart. The news anchor & most others have taken hawkings subject waaaay to literally. Its not about what ET would be like its about what humans are like and how we behave. Again I'll post what hawking said (first posted here www.abovetopsecret.com... )

He explained: "We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet."

you have to be a moron to not understand what he's saying. His message is directed at us. Tysons first answer explains this but the stupid airhead anchor blunders on about aliens and tyson has to repeat himself.

Its ashame messages of morality like hawkings are too subtle for most people to grasp. I tend to blame the dumbing down of everything in mainstream media.

i take some comfort that i did manage to understand what hawking was saying. But i despair most people didnt.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by yeti101]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
Its ashame messages of morality like hawkings are too subtle for most people to grasp. I tend to blame the dumbing down of everything in mainstream media.

It is even more a shame because it wasn't that subtle. Hawking was explicit in his point, using the analogy of European colonization of the New World.

What is even more astounding is how many UFO believers are attacking Hawking over this. He has done more to help ufology in a few words than buffoon like Greer have in their entire lives.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DoomsdayRex
What is even more astounding is how many UFO believers are attacking Hawking over this. He has done more to help ufology in a few words than buffoon like Greer have in their entire lives.

Really, do you mean by saying things like this.

On the other hand, we don't seem to have been visited by aliens. I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?

www.ted.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

im starting to see that its the same dis info people that trawl the threads.

Are you saying I'm a disinfo agent?

Disinformation agents are intended to sound like believers, not express negative opinions like skeptics. They jump into discussions, agree with the alien side of things, and they add more and more ridiculous "information." Pretty soon, anything that might be useful or provide clues as to whatever's being discussed is lost in a cloud of nonsense.

It's a pretty good trick, although from what I understand in another topic, the pay is lousy. There are too many people willing to throw nonsense into the argument for free. Supply and demand.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Really, do you mean by saying things like this...

Absolutely.

Listen to what Hawking said. While Hawking may not believe aliens have not visited our planet, his warning leaves open the possibility it could happen at any time. He explicitly states that not only are aliens out there but they may be able to reach our world.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

Originally posted by Maybe...maybe not

im starting to see that its the same dis info people that trawl the threads.

Are you saying I'm a disinfo agent?

Disinformation agents are intended to sound like believers, not express negative opinions like skeptics. They jump into discussions, agree with the alien side of things, and they add more and more ridiculous "information." Pretty soon, anything that might be useful or provide clues as to whatever's being discussed is lost in a cloud of nonsense.
It's a pretty good trick, although from what I understand in another topic, the pay is lousy. There are too many people willing to throw nonsense into the argument for free. Supply and demand.

Blue Shift.....

Are you saying I'm a "disinfo agent"?

If so.....

Upon what do you base that assertion?

How do you feel that impacts this discussion?

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I am wondering if you even bothered watching the video. Can you explain exactly what about it was "media brainwashing"? You also complain they are not ufologists, when ufos were not even brought up.

DoomsdayRex.....

I agree with you.

I didn't have a problem with the interview.

Kind regards
Maybe...maybe not

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   

I think the MSM are trying to condition the public into believing that aliens are evil;
like how they conditioned everyone into thinking that all middle eastern people are terrorists;
If you watch the video there was nonstop subliminal messages throughout the whole interview;
and I dont agree with them at all;

I seen a UFO in my backyard once;
I thought it was a star until it started flashing a red light at me;
I started waving my arms in the air and yelling "HEEYYYYYYYY" trying to get their attention;
and all they did was just fly over to me and hovered over my head for a couple seconds before dissapearing;
They didnt try to abduct me or kill me or anything

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:47 PM
link   

I think the MSM are trying to condition the public into believing that aliens are evil;
like how they conditioned everyone into thinking that all middle eastern people are terrorists;
If you watch the video there was nonstop subliminal messages throughout the whole interview;
and I dont agree with them at all;

I seen a UFO in my backyard once;
I thought it was a star until it started flashing a red light at me;
I started waving my arms in the air and yelling "HEEYYYYYYYY" trying to get their attention;
and all they did was just fly over to me and hovered over my head for a couple seconds before dissapearing;
They didnt try to abduct me or kill me or anything

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I think the MSM are trying to condition the public into believing that aliens are evil; like how they conditioned everyone into thinking that all middle eastern people are terrorists...

I wonder if you bothered listening to the interview. They were not discussing aliens as evil rather they discusses Hawking's concern as being a mirror of human behavior. Tyson was explicit that we have no idea how aliens will behave or think.

If you watch the video there was nonstop subliminal messages throughout the whole interview

Please, do tell.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DjSharperimage

They shouldve had someone from the ufology community on there like the "camelot project"; "steven greer" or "Mel Fabregas from The Veritas Show" to present another viewpoint

Ha! Are you kidding me? It's because of those very idiots that you hold so dear that the media treats the subject they way they do. Do you not understand that you are a part of the problem here?

I love it, ignorance allows people to prop up complete idiots and the very same ignorance causes them to cry and whine when they don't like how the media treats their beloved subject.

Please people, stop destroying this subject with ignorance and maybe we can get somewhere regarding more and more serious media coverage.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I think the MSM are trying to condition the public into believing that aliens are evil; like how they conditioned everyone into thinking that all middle eastern people are terrorists...

I wonder if you bothered listening to the interview. They were not discussing aliens as evil rather they discusses Hawking's concern as being a mirror of human behavior. Tyson was explicit that we have no idea how aliens will behave or think.

If you watch the video there was nonstop subliminal messages throughout the whole interview

Please, do tell.

when the video first started you will notice it said "Alien Invaders"
2nd screen shows aliens killing people;
3rd screen says "Hostile Aliens"
4th screen shows thousands of UFO's surrounding earth;

They are subliminally making people associate the image of aliens and UFO's to a threat; thereby creating an enemy

To us it might seem like nothing because we are more knowledgeable about the subject;
but to the average american who never reads a book and all they do is watch tv all day; it will have an effect on their minds;

but who knows;
Maybe the government wants to win back the public's trust by disclosing aliens.....

we will see how it turns out....

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:48 PM
link   

They are subliminally making people associate the image of aliens and UFO's to a threat; thereby creating an enemy

Those aren't subliminal images. To be considered subliminal, the stimuli must be below a human's ability to consciously perceive it and hidden by stimuli that are consciously perceived.

The images you cite are overt and within context of the discussion. They are neither subliminal or brainwashing.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Those aren't subliminal images. To be considered subliminal, the stimuli must be below a human's ability to consciously perceive it and hidden by stimuli that are consciously perceived.

The images you cite are overt and within context of the discussion. They are neither subliminal or brainwashing.

There is also a term called Supraliminal where you can see and hear the messages; but they just keep playing it over and over and over until it is embedded in your mind

For example barack osama's campaign;
change; change; change; change every single day for 2 years straight......

THAT is what i call brainwashing

I could already see a pattern starting to emerge;
where all parties are talking about the same subject

1. steven hawking

2. discovery channel

3. this video with 2 so called experts

4.NASA

5.CNN

[edit on 29-4-2010 by DjSharperimage]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

Thanks for posting this short two-man comedy mcrom901.
I really enjoyed it.

...Didn't Gupta and Tyson BOTH say that intelligent alien life almost certainly exists (although not necessarily that they are visiting Earth)? Doesn't that more-or-less agree with what Hawking says (i.e. that aliens probably exist). It seems to me the only thing Tyson disagrees with hawking about is whether or not those aliens will necessarily be hostile.

[edit on 4/29/2010 by Soylent Green Is People]

I meant the argument was one sided because no one ever said anything about aliens being peaceful;
I was expecting someone to come out and say

"If aliens had the technology to travel across the universe then maybe they would have evolved past primitive violent behaviour"

or they couldve said
"The universe is a vast infinite place; where resources are unlimited beyond belief; So what reason would aliens have to attack a whole entire planet?;
With their technology they would have artificial intelligence far beyond anything we could imagine; and why would they abduct humans when cloning is possible?"

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join