It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Copyright violation alert ransomware - Torrents

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Copyright violation alert ransomware - Torrents

blogs.zdnet.com

By pretending to be the fake ICPP Foundation (icpp-online.com), the ransomware locks down the user’s desktop issuing a “Copyright violation: copyrighted content detected” message, which lists torrent files found on the infected PC, and forces the user to pay $400 for the copyright holder’s fine, emphasizing on the fact that “the maximum penalties can be five years in prison and up to $250,000 in fines.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:07 AM
link   
So, it seems that there is either a real scam in play, or a ploy designed by the copyright freaks to make the all to frightening idea of consequences to pirating seem a little bit more real?

Hmmm, we'll have to wait and see, it goes hand in hand with what was posted by harpsounds - www.abovetopsecret.com...

blogs.zdnet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 29-4-2010 by Revolution-2012]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:55 AM
link   
This can't be for real. They want to delete files on people's computer and now lock out the pc? Wtf?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
This can't be for real. They want to delete files on people's computer and now lock out the pc? Wtf?

Well it brings up some issues doesn't it.

Quite frankly I'd like to know how these cyber attacks differ from any other attack on person or property. This is in the very least wilful damage.

On the basis of the use of force continuum, should users be able to do the same thing back against whoever wants to use this software? ie lock down their desktop, delete their files and then take them to court for damages?

This one really does sound like a scam though, I don't think any agency currently has any legal power to do this, and they would be committing legal suicide by doing so.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Probably through ad services, all it takes is for someone to replace what should be an add with a malicious script.

There's not a damn thing going to touch my computer though, i have an ip blocker, among other things.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   

This is crap. Simply open a task manager on your windows pc, and kill the offending process. Then run malwarebytes or superantispyware on your system and it will be gone.

Torrents aren't an illegal file. The media the torrent points to may be a copyright violation, or it may be a video of your sisters wedding. There is no legal way that this could work. Scareware is just that..keep the people scared so they pay pay pay.

..Ex

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Sounds like a virus/scam. Even the most maniacal anti-piracy firms aren't this bad. They would rather raid the houses of people who are distributing the files.
Ok, I guess they are this bad...but I think this is obviously a scam.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by yellowcard]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
But how will they know what kind of torrents you have that is illegal and what is legal ?

There are lots of legal un-copyrighted torrents, like Alex Jones movies are free and available on torrents...

Im telling you folks, if this turns out to be the case, and we see that people are being sent to jail because their 10 year old downloaded a Gaga music video, we should start an world wide Media Boycott, show them that they do not exist unless we allows them to......

[edit on 29/4/2010 by ChemBreather]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by djzombie

There's not a damn thing going to touch my computer though, i have an ip blocker, among other things.

k

have fun with that.

I have a port reader among other things

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
in the event someones has this fake ICPP ransome ware; ther is an easy way to get rid of it.

It’s by using the universal unlocking code/licensing code required in the “Enter a previously purchased license code” window. In this case that’s RFHM2-TPX47-YD6RT-H4KDM

Source

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by djzombie
Probably through ad services, all it takes is for someone to replace what should be an add with a malicious script.

IP blockers are not 100% effective.

And, I wish they were.

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Just download from known groups.. Screw torrents.. Usenet is better.
I miss the days of iNC, Razor 1911, PARADOX, PWA, Phrozen Crew, DEViANCE and all the others....

The BBS days... calling long distance to get goodies (DOS days)...

posted on May, 5 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   
It's the Recording Industry, they're becoming pirates themselves... "If you can't beat them join them", right? Fight fire with fire??? I wouldn't put it past them...evil greedy BASKards!

top topics

join