It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal immigrants plan to leave over Ariz. law

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:00 PM
link   

PHOENIX – Many of the cars that once stopped in the Home Depot parking lot to pick up day laborers to hang drywall or do landscaping now just drive on by. Arizona's sweeping immigration bill allows police to arrest illegal immigrant day laborers seeking work on the street or anyone trying to hire them.

It won't take effect until summer but it is already having an effect on the state's underground economy.

"Nobody wants to pick us up," Julio Loyola Diaz says in Spanish as he and dozens of other men wait under the shade of palo verde trees and lean against a low brick wall outside the east Phoenix home improvement store.

Many day laborers like Diaz say they will leave Arizona because of the law, which also makes it a state crime to be in the U.S. illegally and directs police to question people about their immigration status if there is reason to suspect they are illegal immigrants.

Supporters of the law hope it creates jobs for thousands of Americans. "We want to drive day labor away," says Republican Rep. John Kavanagh, one of the law's sponsors. An estimated 100,000 illegal immigrants have left Arizona in the past two years as it cracked down on illegal immigration and its economy was especially hard hit by the Great Recession.

A Department of Homeland Security report on illegal immigrants estimates Arizona's illegal immigrant population peaked in 2008 at 560,000, and a year later dipped to 460,000.

news.yahoo.com...

Looks like it's already going to have an effect. I have a bad feeling about all of this.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by David9176]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Didn't anybody ever see this movie?????

www.youtube.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
What are they going to do? Arrest 500,000 illegals? Put them where?

I don't like this.

Yes, we need to do something about our border...I'm all for that...but this is not good.

Where are these people going to go? They aren't going to stand around and not be able to eat. They will go to other states because they will have no choice as they will be afraid to do anything in AZ...and those who are legal will be looking over their shoulder.

I don't like this.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Hmm so it is working? I had issues with the conditionality of this bill but then I was doing some thinking they are not citizens in the first place.

So the question is now does or constitution cover non-Americans? I dont think so. I think the best way to deal with this swarm of locusts is to cut of the jobs. No money equals they go home or starve to death.

They do not want to learn the language or follow the laws this is the truth. I know I live around them. They fly the Mexican flag and speak in their native tongue not English.

I think we should put the military on the border with orders to shot to kill this added with truly enforcing job laws. Add them together and we have a better America free of the parasite known as the illegal immigrant.

Also no more anchor babies. If they come into the hospital and have a kid they get deported and then they can try my version of the border out for themselves.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I dont know where people come up with this idea that American Rights=Human rights. The constitution is not some kind of blanket declaration (or blank check in some cases) for people who refuse to assimilate to exploit.

And no one better start that,,,,,"They hate latinos!" crap

ypu guys should look into what la raza is all about.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

I think we should put the military on the border with orders to shot to kill this added with truly enforcing job laws.

I agree we need to do protect our borders...but shoot to kill? if you're going to do that then you might as well advocate killing all the illegals already in the country.

What you stated was terrible and horrible.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:19 PM
link   
The US used to have a migrant worker program.

But some politician (I think in Texas) used it as a platform - of taking jobs away from Americans.

It was abolished. Crops rotted in the fields. Americans wouldn't do the jobs.

The farmers needed the Mexicans. The Mexicans migrated back to the US illegally - because now there was no Legal Migrant Worker Program.

I know a Migrant Worker Program has been brought up several times - but people who are not in the area of the border and can't see past the end of their nose keep voting it down.

We've lost a vast amount of crops to weather conditions - - - and now we will lose more because there are not workers.

When food becomes scarce and prices double - - - I wonder who will get the blame.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I am now for banning guns and limiting freedom of speech and any other rights the government want to take from us.

I want security cameras everywhere watching our every move. I want law enforcement militarized with the latest gadgets we got.

If People think its ok if police start asking brown people, many who are Americans, to prove their citizenship based on reasonable suspicion(color), then hell with.

Let the whole ship sink.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Probably not because of the law. It is not even in effect. Probably because Sheriff Joe just announced he is doing another sweep this week.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by amatrine
Probably not because of the law. It is not even in effect. Probably because Sheriff Joe just announced he is doing another sweep this week.

Absolutely!!!! I live in Arizona.

Sheriff Joe has been under Federal investigation.

This new law legalizes his methods.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

I think we should put the military on the border with orders to shot to kill this added with truly enforcing job laws.

I agree we need to do protect our borders...but shoot to kill? if you're going to do that then you might as well advocate killing all the illegals already in the country.

What you stated was terrible and horrible.

Good point I would give them 7 days to get the heck out after that it is game on. You would see whole neighborhoods fleeing it would be a sight to behold. They are not citizens and do not enjoy the same right we do.

But they want to have everything including their own little Mexico in America. I say we crush that dream and crush it so hard they will tell their great-grand kids about it.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:25 PM
link   
And just to make it clear this is not all Mexicans I have many Mexican friends who are here legally. The funny thing is most of them think exactly the way I do about this issue. I have one friend who has waited 3 years for his wife to come her legally he is a good honest man. Not the cock roaches here illegally. They are truly bottom dwellers.

Also flag for the OP good controversial story.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Subjective Truth]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

You beat me to it! Darn! Oh well, here is my thread as well www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

WHo is sheriff Joe? Have not heard about this.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Also no more anchor babies.

Americans is the correct term. Been that way for almost 234 years.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   

What are they going to do? Arrest 500,000 illegals? Put them where?

Put them back across the border in their home country, where they belong.

They are here illegally, deport them... It is not that complex, really.

That bad feeling about this that you have is the end result of neglecting this problem for far too long.

It's okay, maybe our liberal government will find a way to make legal immigration easier, in exchange for votes in future elections of course.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

WHo is sheriff Joe? Have not heard about this.

Sheriff Joe Arpaio Under Federal Investigation

jonathanturley.org...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

They are here illegally, deport them... It is not that complex, really.

You can't deport 10 million people. You don't understand the ramifications of doing something like this.

Yes we need to stop illegal immigration but we can't do what is being advocated by some here.

We don't need another Trail of Tears.

And thanks Annee for posting...will check it out.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Couldn't Congress just authorize an "Illegal Immigrant Stimulus Package" which would guarantee them $75,000 immediately upon crossing the border back, and agreeing not to return under penalty of life imprisonment. Just a thought, after all haven't we just recently learned, it's only money the government will make more, right????

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The way I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong - legalese is not my first language) police cannot accost you for merely walking down the street "looking illegal".

If, however, you get picked up for shoplifting, run a red light, assault someone or do something else that's criminal in nature and you are unable to provide a valid ID such as a drivers license *then* they can pursue the issue of whether you're here legally or not. Granted, it will get mostly central and south americans because there are not a lot of illegal Danish folks in Arizona.

I'd love to see the US take the Mexican immigration laws verbatim and adopt them. That would be great. BTW, Mexican immigration laws are VERY harsh.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Mountainmeg]

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join