It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon: Boost Training With Computer-Troop Mind Meld

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Pentagon: Boost Training With Computer-Troop Mind Meld

www.wired.com

Adaptive, mind-reading computer systems have been a work-in-progress among military agencies for at least a decade. In 2000, far-out research agency Darpa launched “Augmented Cognition,” a program that sought to develop computers that used EEG scans to adjust how they displayed information — visually, orally, or otherwise — to avoid overtaxing one realm of a troop’s cognition.

Read More www.wired.com... %3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+St
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Now, the Office of the Secretary of Defense (OSD) is soliciting small business proposals for an even more immersive trainer, one that includes voice-recognition technology, and picks up on vocal tone and facial gestures. The game would then react and adapt to a war-fighter’s every action. For example, if a player’s gesture “insults the local tribal leader,” the trainee would “find that future interactions with the population are more difficult and more hostile.”

And, most importantly, the new programs would react to the warrior’s own physiological and neurological cues. They’d be monitored using an EEG, eye tracking, heart and respiration rate, and other physiological markers. Based on the metrics, the game would adapt in difficulty and “keep trainees in an optimal state of learning.”

Read More www.wired.com... %3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29&utm_content=Google+Reader#ixzz0mRKI2CWn

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Oops I forgot to put a comment up.

It looks like they want to be able to have the soldiers "Jacked In" Like in the Matrix. Imagine the potental there .... Infinte knowledge in an instant.

Well if you brain didn't fry.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Sounds like a fun game.

Put one in my game room

It sounds like this is already half-way possible.

Good find and very interesting

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Quickfix

Thanks!

Yeah I wouldn't mind being able to jack in .... the only issue would be ( if it were possible ) Geting factual information. Mis-info could make you a dumb ass.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Yeah, or maybe the machine would drive you insane.

If I could jack in thought, I would make sure to go through the government files, maybe more truth in those files.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by SWCCFAN
Oops I forgot to put a comment up.

It looks like they want to be able to have the soldiers "Jacked In" Like in the Matrix. Imagine the potental there .... Infinte knowledge in an instant.

Well if you brain didn't fry.

This is exactly where we are going.

DARPA is working on two kinds of neural interfaces, one invasive and the other not invasive.

Invasive literally means an implant in the brain. The Invasive implant will allow for the operation of vehicles and weapon systems as if they were extensions of the body.

The first powered and armored exoskeletons (2020) will probably use this kind of technology. It will also allow sensory information to be sent back from these systems and weapons.

The applications are endless, from neuroprosthetics (cyberware from sci-fi), smartguns that link with the users, battlefield hacking and access to massive amounts of information. Operations orders, SIPRNET acess directly from the mind. Plus soldiers will be able to be monitored and tracked at all times on the battlefield, greatly reducing fratricide.

[edit on 29/4/10 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:14 AM
link   
It is nothing more than screwing with the brain. No wonder why the US military has such high suicide and PTSD rates.

new topics

top topics

join