It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UAV concept can land and take off from vertical walls!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Robots that Land and Cling on Vertical Surfaces

Vision for Perching UAV
A flock of small, unmanned air vehicles flies quietly into a city, maneuvering among the buildings. They communicate as they search for places to land, not on streets or flat rooftops but on the sides of buildings and under the eaves, where they can cling, bat or insect-like, in safety and obscurity. Upon identifying landing sites, each flier turns toward a wall, executes an intentional stall and, as it begins to fall, attaches itself using feet equipped with miniature spines that engage small asperities on the surface. Using its propeller in combination with its limbs, the flier can creep along the wall and reorient for a better view. With opposed pairs of spines, the flier clings tenaciously to resist gusts of wind and ride out inclement weather. The fliers stay attached for hours or days, consuming little power and emitting no sound as they monitor the area. When finished, they launch themselves with a jump and become airborne again, ready for their next mission.

bdml.stanford.edu...

This is simply genius! Imagine this technology being miniaturized so that literally spy drones can literally act as "flies on the wall" inside a target room. .

The video is worth a look. The "feet" of the aircraft are one of the most striking aspects of this design.

What do you think other applications of this technology could be used for?

[edit on 4/28/2010 by clay2 baraka]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Holy poop!
Yes it's incredible but I saw it. The ramifications are unlimited, as well as scary.
Combine this with those $3000.00 helicopter remote controlled "toys" and you have a UAV with a live color zoom camera that can just about go anywhere!
S&F

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Violater1]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I found one more reference toward a civilian application for a perching UAV:

One avian concept that designers are trying to emulate is the ability to perch. A manned aircraft cannot settle into a tree for observation, but a small UAV might be able to imitate birds by landing on a branch. “The concept of perching, as an engineering challenge for what an airplane can do, will be quite a feat,” Ol warrants.

The AFRL may team with industry and academia in its research, Ol states. The laboratory has not teamed with anyone yet, but it is keeping an eye on other organized activities. One company, Aerovironment, already has built two different micro-UAVs that weigh less than one pound.

The laboratory is keeping potential dual-use systems on its radar, Ol adds. For example, its perching UAVs might serve civil authorities in fighting forest fires over vast areas. A fleet of UAVs could perform coordinated patrols that send alarms when fires are detected.

www.afcea.org...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
what about building those limbs into a suit of some kind and climbers could quickly free hop/drop down ridiculous vertices without safety lines at speed using the limbs to take the impact as they drop.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by markygee
what about building those limbs into a suit of some kind and climbers could quickly free hop/drop down ridiculous vertices without safety lines at speed using the limbs to take the impact as they drop.

Like spring loaded Velcro.. How much do you want to bet that DARPA is already working on that little gem?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I wouldn't bet against it but spring loaded velcro sounds cool. What about propulsion for going up at a similar speed to going down?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Woo-oh!

How long until some military brainiac works out how to put an anti-personnel mine on to one of these things. Silently hang on a wall, wait for the target ... bang!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
Woo-oh!

How long until some military brainiac works out how to put an anti-personnel mine on to one of these things. Silently hang on a wall, wait for the target ... bang!

I was thinking more along the lines of an anti-vehicle weapon. Sort of a limpet mine. Fly a little one over to an APC or tank, have it grab on (or a swarm of little ones, all with a shaped explosive)... You get the idea.

top topics

join