It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America: Your Child Does Not Need to Be Two or Three To Be Potty Trained!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

In the "Demolition Man" future paper is so scarce we wipe ourselves with seashells. Three scallops shells.

Though never gone over in the film the running theory is that two of the shells were used like chopsticks to gently pull your leavings out and the third was for clean-up.

Then you rinsed them off and put them back on the shelf for the next user.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhorse

A dog is physiologically able to stop crapping in the house at six months old,

Bad example.

Dog's are fully mature within a few years.

Humans are not.

I don't think its a fair comparison.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Well to be fair. SHE wasn't critizing. The way she asked was like she was under the assumption that I was ALREADY doing this. To the rest of the World they primarily do it this way.

I don't think I would say this is about who does what better. It is about the fact that the way we do it is not the way it HAS to be done. and I for one think that it would be much eiaser and cheaper if my kid were potty trained.

and so far he loves it... BY the way, he gets a little Jelly Bean if he goes and he just loves it. And here I was going to wait another 6 months to a year to do something that he is clearly ready to do

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Well if you think about it a dog ages 7 years to our 1.

So at 6 months a dog is the equivalent of a 3.5 year old toddler. So training a 2 year old still makes us smarter then a dog when it comes to crapping where we are supposed to.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by trueperspective
To the rest of the World they primarily do it this way.

The majority of the world does not have access to adequate plumbing or toiletry.

So I would have to disagree.

At best the majority has an outhouse or something similar.

We are getting in deep over our heads with generalizations now. Myself Included, I've been generalizing the whole time.

I am sure we can find differences everywhere. And as I said earlier, every kid is different, there is no "same way" to do it for everyone.

We need to stay away from the mistake of assuming everyone does it the same way.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miracle Man

Well if you think about it a dog ages 7 years to our 1.

So at 6 months a dog is the equivalent of a 3.5 year old toddler. So training a 2 year old still makes us smarter then a dog when it comes to crapping where we are supposed to.

I disagree. The Earth revolves around the sun = 1 year.

You cannot assume that a Dog's Earth rotates around the sun 7 times when it only rotates once for a Human.

This makes no sense to me.

Year = 1 Earth revolution around the sun.

1 yr old human is the same age as 1yr old dog. 1 Earth revolution around the Sun.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   

It is a common belief that 1 human year is equal to 7 dog years. That is not very accurate, since dogs reach adulthood within the first couple of years. The formula used above is from a canine expert and is a bit more accurate. (as accurate as one can judge these things)

The formula is: 10.5 dog years per human year for the first 2 years, then 4 dog years per human year for each year after.

www.onlineconversion.com...

You are right, I was being very conservative with my information.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Plus children have different sleep cycles than adults. When they are in deep sleep (just before REM), they will not wake to go to the bathroom. It is actually one of the main causes for children who wet the bed at older ages.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
As a parent I am more concerned with the fact that my 14 month olds name brand diapers now contain the same amount of protection in the rear as a generic. There is a conspiracy. We will watch him he has already expressed interest, but there is no rush. Teaching before the show interest is merely potty training yourself to watch their ques to run them to the toilet.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by collietta
.... It's called Elimination Communication.
What you do is take your child to the bathroom at regular intervals (like every hour) for the first couple of days. When you sit them on there you make a noise. We started with a psss sound, but right away she changed it to a razzing sound. Whenever they do go, you make the same sound and then that makes them associate relieving themselves with that noise. Eventually, whenver they have to go, they will make the same sound to tell you. It's really easy and it does work. The child won't fall in to the toilet if you get a small toilet seat designed for potty training.

I wish I would have known about this raising my four children. There was a point in time I remember thinking, "I have spent so much money on diapers, I should have taken out stock!"

Still, even before disposables, all mothers used cloth diapers. Slushing the diaper in the toilet and then wringing it out and putting it into... the diaper pail!

So yes, this early method is unheard of in the States. I'll bet they don't have to deal with diaper rash either.

edit: fixed quote

[edit on 4/28/2010 by sodakota]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Wow I had no idea, I have an 8 month old. I will get started with this right away.

Thanks for the good info OP!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:48 PM
link   
My oldest was potty trained at 15 months. People thought I was nuts, waited longer for my second child because everyone thought I pushed my oldest to hard by training him early. BIG MISTAKE. It was much harder when he was older because he had become to accustom to diapers. My youngest I did the same as my oldest no problem.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by nunya13

When a child is old enough to express that they need to go use the toilet seems reasonable..

but if you don't have money for diapers is it ok to potty train at 8 months ?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by redhorse

A dog is physiologically able to stop crapping in the house at six months old,

Bad example.

Dog's are fully mature within a few years.

Humans are not.

I don't think its a fair comparison.

Yes, it was a bad example/unfair comparison. It was silly, and misleading, but too many people would take it as 'logic'. That's why I was calling him on it.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Everyone in my family was potty trained before the age of 1. My niece was potty trained at 8 months... But we are European (I'm half Italian half French Canadian, my wife is a Ukrainian immigrant)... I notice a VERY big difference between the ways that children are raised here in Canada and the way I was raised (even if I was born here)...

I guess as long as the child is potty trained, in the end, what's the difference?

Magnum

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I just got home from work. I stepped outside to have my after work smoke. While watching my dog look for a place to crap, for some reason, that exact scene popped in my head, prior to me firing up my computer. No more than 5 minutes after I put out my smoke, i opened up ATS(which I don't frequent at work) and there it was. That clip played out in my head right before I saw it here.

And what a random scene; the seashells seen from Demolition Man. I've only seen that once and that was years ago! I can't come close to telling you how long it's been since I've even thought of that movie.

Weird, just too weird. These things have been happening to me quite a bit lately.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I am reasonably sure it is the "parent" who becomes potty trained when the baby is eight months.

It is the parent anticipating when it is time to go, (waiting/watching for the "signs"), arriving with the baby at the potty at the appropriate time, staying with the infant, while coaxing it through the process, and cleaning it afterwards.

If you guys want to call that "potty-trained", good for you.

.....And true, somebody is "potty trained". It's just not the baby.

~ consider this also. Potty training is the very first "social demand" placed on a human being (in our culture). It can be complicated for a baby. There is more to it than just placing a baby on a potty. Any parent can tell you that.

[edit on 4/28/2010 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I would just like to say that (I dont have any children but) I have noticed this lack of potty training going on with my friends and their kids. There is just no encouragement of learning and moving forward with daily life things like this and it annoys me!

Seeing toddlers older than 2-4 years waddle around in nappies, wearing clothes 3 times too big and stinking of pooh ... there is just no need for it!

I might offend some people here now, but I get the same feeling with dummies, which just get used waaay too much imo.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by viber8]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I'm sceptical of the 8 month old age, with no disrespect whatsoever meant.

And frankly, I don't think most americans really get other than hand-me-down advice on general potty training anyway. It's not like we are constantly exposed to "wait, blind americans, until your child is a certain age to begin potty training!"No brainwashing to it, it lacks any cultural push.

Honestly, if your child is not walking by 8 months old, and very, very few are, they are not potty trained.

I think possibly a communication error is in effect here as to the actual meaning of 'potty training', ....or else would sure like to see a link to any studies recommending this age.

My opinions only , from personal experience.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Clark Savage Jr.

I agree that it is personal experience, ofcourse not all babies progress at the same rate. I agree with the OP that maybe companies are making a lot of money out keeping kids in nappies!

Facts:
The use of disposable nappies has increased over the past 20 years as a result of their convenience. A baby will use 6,000 disposable nappies before being potty trained at an average age of 2.5 years.

» One baby's disposable nappies fill 40 black sacks in a year
» In the UK around 3 billion disposable nappies are used every year - generating about a half a million tonnes of waste
link

» In the United States, an estimated 15 billion disposable diapers are used each year - generating over 2.4 million tonnes of waste going mostly to landfill
link

[edit on 28-4-2010 by viber8]

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join