It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America: Your Child Does Not Need to Be Two or Three To Be Potty Trained!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I feel like that's is just so young, I am just so used to seeing and hearing that you potty train between two and three, I firmly believe in 2

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by brooklyn87

THAT'S THE POINT!

The OP heard from a coworker who is from a different part of the world, if I understand correctly...

We have been conditioned to think they have to be two. While it may not be a diaper company conspiracy, it will save you more money in the long run if you are able to do this. What's so wrong with that? I don't see how being potty trained by 1 will hurt a child...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Every kid is different.

My girl was potty trained around 16-18months. Without any effort.

My boy is taking longer, and I personally have to show him how it works repetitively.

I think training a boy is harder than a girl; just from my experience.

I believe that all are different though.

And I would have been a jerk to the guy who said that to me though, I would have said "Yeah but at least WE use toilet paper rather than our Hand LOL".

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by iamsupermanv2

Yes the conversation with a foreign co-worker got this whole thing kicked off. I must of sounded SOOO stupid when I insisted that my almost 2 YEAR old could not POSSIBLY be ready to be potty trained.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamsupermanv2

The OP heard from a coworker who is from a different part of the world, if I understand correctly...

The part of the world where using the hand is common way to clean up afterwards?

If that is a myth, disprove it.

But I've seen it mentioned a hundred times. They don't use toilet paper or a butt washer. Just their hand...

They have very little credibility in matters of Toilet usage.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by trueperspective

If the coworker is intelligent, you sounded, at the most, brain washed

But seriously, I didn't know until you said something, so thanks for spreading the news, like I've said, it won't hurt to try, and if I can start my kid earlier, then they could start other things earlier too. Parents should give their little ones a head start if they can.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Discrediting this advice because they have a lack of paper products is retarded. Plain and simple...I hope there is a joke in there.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I don't believe its easier changing diapers I hate them!! boys are a lot more difficult then girls, they don't pay attention just like men, but obviously for at least 100 years here in America before there were regular diapers and they used cloth diapers,people were still told between 18 months old and two years old to Start

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

The part of the world where using the hand is common way to clean up afterwards?

If that is a myth, disprove it.

But I've seen it mentioned a hundred times. They don't use toilet paper or a butt washer. Just their hand...

They have very little credibility in matters of Toilet usage.

You are correct sir. I had a friend that lived over in that part of the world and YES they do use their LEFT hand dipped in water to wipe.

The funny thing is... they think toilet paper is the most unsanitary thing you could ever do. To them water is the only way to get cleaned. without water you aren't getting cleaned...OK back on topic.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Discrediting this advice because they have a lack of paper products is retarded. Plain and simple...I hope there is a joke in there.

Um no. They could wash themselves with water like 50% of the Earth's population. Toilet paper is not the only way to clean up.

You are seriously going to defend hand wiping? I hope YOUR Joking.

The fact they use their bare hand to wipe fecal matter off their rear denotes the fact they have NO CREDIBILITY in matters of Toilet usage.

Potty Training to me means = teaching my kid how to CLEAN themselves without getting a single spec of fecal matter on their fingers/hands/cloths.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:08 PM
link   

For the record, I too think wiping your bum with your hand is stupid.

But saying that a person is void of reason in an issue because one aspect is wrong is not fair.

But you are obviously derailing the thread here, and I am just as guilty for feeding into it.

Apologies OP, moving on.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   

But you are obviously derailing the thread here, and I am just as guilty for feeding into it.

Apologies OP, moving on.

I wasn't derailing the thread. Calling ideas you don't like "derailment" is unfair IMO.

I was simply pointing out I don't take advice from people on "Potty Training kids" from people who use their hand to wipe.

It is a fair assessment, on topic, and to me I believe it eliminates any credibility the person would have had on "talking down on my culture"....

Do I go posting threads telling Indians how to clean up with bidets or toilet paper? No. I let them do what they want. But when they come telling me I am doing it all wrong, I take offense.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by muzzleflash]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   

I was potty trained at around a year old, as soon as I could walk, and have memories as well. I didn't like the rubber pants and they left sore red itchy spots on my legs, or being wet. Cloth does help speed some kids up.

Not withstanding, all children are different, they don't all get ready at the same time. My sons varied widely.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Or we can just raise and train our children how we want without anyone saying anything about it.

If a person wants to train their child at 8 months old then that is fine and dandy. The same can be said for those who train at 2.

I can afford spending around 20 dollars for 84 diapers so I will wait until my girl can walk and communicate well enough to where training her will be easier for both of us.

If anyone out there wants to hold their kid while they do number 1 or 2 then I hope it works out for the best for both of you.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
No prob. I think the thing is is that we just assume that what we do here in America must be the best way, when almost everywhere is the world, things are done more effeciently and cheaper. WHY?

Because they don't have the money to burn to do things like we do. I think this potty training thing is a perfect example, we are just used to waiting when it is more costly and less efficient to do it that way

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

I was simply pointing out I don't take advice from people on "Potty Training kids" from people who use their hand to wipe.

What about folks who use seashells?

Yeah, that was derailment. Totally worth it though.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

I was potty trained at around a year old, as soon as I could walk, and have memories as well. I didn't like the rubber pants and they left sore red itchy spots on my legs, or being wet. Cloth does help speed some kids up.

Not withstanding, all children are different, they don't all get ready at the same time. My sons varied widely.

Here is something that needs to be asked. Did your sons vary widely because of there personalities, OR because here is America we don't have a standard effective way of training our children???

It seems this varying age thing does not exist in other countries as much as here?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I stared your derailment.

I just had to...Seashells?!?!?!

[edit on 28-4-2010 by trueperspective]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
... but geez, if a dog can stop crapping in the house in 6 months or so a human should be able to crap in a bowl by that time.

A dog is physiologically able to stop crapping in the house at six months old, a human being generally is not, let alone hit a 'bowl' on a regular basis. You're comparing completely different developmental time scales there. A six month old dog is roughly the physical equivalent of an six to eight year old human child.

Having said that (and in a general response to the OP, and all of the supporters), some children are able to be 'potty trained' at eight months. They have developed to the point that they are able to do so... Sort of. Mostly, because they are able to grasp the concept intellectually, but I would bet you money they aren't physically capable of controlling and recognizing the signs from their biology enough to get where they need to be every time. Not even close.

Also, communication is an issue. It the child cannot even walk, how are they supposed to get to where they need to go by themselves? Usually, they won't be able to. They will have to communicate to an adult. If (big if) they recognize the signs from their own body in time, they still must communicate the need effectively; and at that age, the part of the brain that deals with communication (especially verbal communication) is still very much developing, and the resulting interactions are not very consistent. I'm sorry, this is a lot of pressure to put on a child of that young.

They used to shoot to have them potty trained by a year old or so. (One of the methods for doing this was to tie them to the toilet. My grandmother did this to my father. It didn't work. But I digress.)

Some children, are not able to be potty trained by eight months... Or, by a year... Or, two years... And, some are. It depends on the child.

Bodies and minds develop at different rates in different individuals. Setting an arbitrary 'should be' date on a physiological developmental step in a child based on what 'some children' are doing is foolish, generally psychologically harmful, and potentially physically dangerous.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I still have not figured out the seashells thing.

About what the OP said a few posts above, I think that every culture thinks "they do everything the right way".

That is how this topic got started. A non-American decided to criticize the way people do things here.

Since he brought it up, I couldn't help but react by criticizing the way he does things. It was only to give him his karmic response.

I don't care how they do it over there. Not my business. But since he got into my business, I'll point out why I don't think I should listen to it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join