It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Personal Magickal Systems

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wandering Scribe

At the same time, I take everything I find on the internet with a grain of salt too. So, if your history of the peoples is valid, and from first-hand experience, thank you for teaching me something new.

I take most of what I find on the internet with a grain of salt too but often books or one on one experiences can be unreliable sources as well because so called FACTS are twisted to fit the individual or authors biases -I suppose the ultimate question is - " What is TRUTH " ?

The Hopi people seem to have some similarities to the Judeo-Christian Adam and Eve myth. However, I wouldn't go so far as to say that they're both basing their mythologies off of the same thing.

Quite right !! But I can't help myself - I have always found the study of comparative mythology fascinating - I suppose you could say my greatest interests lie in the realm of " collective intelligence " .

The Hopi believe in a divine Feminine force, Mother Earth; and the Judeo-Christians believe in a divine Masculine force, God the Father. That seems like a rather irreconcilable aspect of the two mythologies.

Yes but the Judeo-Christian religion did not just suddenly appear out of nowhere ? It evolved from something much older ? NO ? As I said above books ( in particular the bible because it has been authored by so many ) can be an unreliable source of information because the so called FACTS have been twisted to fit the individual or authors biases - I suppose in our attempts to analyse historical texts and spiritual teachings it is important we use a blend of intellect - common sense and intuition ?

Anyway I do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me - thank you and take care.

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by primoaurelius

Yes but the $64m Dollar question is whether or not the person is up to teaching the syllabus. Simply because in magic things can get deep very quickly. Most of the good lodges teach outside of the books that are available.

Just a thought not an attack

[edit on 8-5-2010 by Tiger5]

posted on May, 8 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by destiny-fate

I take most of what I find on the internet with a grain of salt too but often books or one on one experiences can be unreliable sources as well because so called FACTS are twisted to fit the individual or authors biases -I suppose the ultimate question is - " What is TRUTH " ?

It typically takes a lot more to get a book published than to toss something up on the internet. Not that books haven't been full of inaccuracies and faulty information in the past, they certainly have.

I just find that the information of someone who write, rewrites, then rewrites his book again - followed by the horrendous process of finding a publisher, and a market - has a little more credibility over the guy who hosts a free website and tosses some information without citation haphazardly on to it.

I don't mind reading websites though, but I highly prefer books or first-hand experience. And naturally, human memory is a faulty thing, but often times people are willing to demonstrate what they claim they do if you just ask them nicely. Such has been my experience.

Quite right !! But I can't help myself - I have always found the study of comparative mythology fascinating - I suppose you could say my greatest interests lie in the realm of "collective intelligence"

Comparative religions and mythologies has been one of the strong points of my furthered education. I love the subject. And I'm no stranger to the archetypal similarities between Christianity and its predecessors, like Egyptian polytheism, Babylonian paganism, the dualism of Zoroastrianism, and others.

I do believe that all religious and mythological endeavors, serious ones at least, can be traced back to a single archetypal event. Whether or not there was a legitimate "first man and woman", or if we all evolved slowly through time like science says I'm still uncertain of. On regular days though, I'm with science.

Yes but the Judeo-Christian religion did not just suddenly appear out of nowhere ? It evolved from something much older ? NO ? As I said above books ( in particular the bible because it has been authored by so many ) can be an unreliable source of information because the so called FACTS have been twisted to fit the individual or authors biases

The rampant plagiarism, and second, third, fourth editions of Biblical literature are not unknown to me. However, I still think that certain religions develop out of certain archetypal events. Eastern religions develop off of one set of principles (god-form, avatars, internal purity, etc), whereas Western religious ideals develop different, with a much gentler respect to the world and our place in it.

Not that this is true of every religion ever, but the indigenous people of the Americas definitely see the Earth as a much more sacred body than say, the Muslims, the Christians, the Jews, the Zoroastrians, the Hindus and others from the East. Again though, this is not without counter-point.

I suppose in our attempts to analyse historical texts and spiritual teachings it is important we use a blend of intellect - common sense and intuition ?

Always. I also think that an objective approach is also necessary. Instead of looking to prove certain lines and connections, any investigator, researcher, or layman needs to learn to look at what is there for what it is, instead of seeking to make it something which it is not.

Anyway I do appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me - thank you and take care

Any time.

Take care yourself.

~ Scribe

posted on May, 9 2010 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by primoaurelius

I am a solitary practioner. I typically do candle an dherbal magic/rituals. I also incorporate some christian aspects. ..I'm sure that may sound strange, but it works for me. No matter what you chose to do or what beliefes you incorporate into your life, as long as you are not huritng anyone and you believe in what your doing, everything should work out fine

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join