It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fabled Giant Palouse Earthworm Found

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:32 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f161083507ac.jpg[/atsimg]

Two living specimens of the fabled giant Palouse earthworm have been captured for the first time in two decades in what represents a significant discovery of a creature that has achieved a mythic status in the area.

The giant Palouse earthworm has fascinated scientists for decades after long being written off as an extinct creature. Reports suggested that the worms had a penchant for spitting and smelled like lilies, further enhancing the myth of the earthworm in the agricultural Palouse region on the Washington-Idaho border.

"It's a good day for the worm," said University of Idaho soil scientist Jodi Johnson-Maynard in Moscow, Idaho, who has been leading the search.

The recent discovery of the worms appeared to dispel the myth about the creature's appearance. They don't spit, or smell like lilies, and aren't even that giant.

"One of my colleagues suggested we rename it the 'larger-than average Palouse earthworm,'" Johnson-Maynard said when the find was announced Tuesday.

While they had been thought to grow to 3 feet long, the adult worm measured about 10 or 12 inches fully extended, while the juvenile was 6 or 7 inches.

Continued story at link
Source

Not quite 3 feet but 12 inches is still a big friggin worm don't ya think?

I imagine though, it would be pretty nasty to run across a 3 foot worm although it would probably find its way into some foreign delicacy market soon.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
That's a bit tiny.

Giant South African Earthworm

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Crankies, I thought that this thread was about the Speaker of The Bordello

But seriously, these worms have significant impact on the aeration and mixing the soil. Additional environmental benefits include mineralization and nutrient uptake by vegetation. They are also attractive to big @$$ Bass

Nice post, S&F

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
That worms got nothing on this one

i41.tinypic.com...

[edit on 28-4-2010 by GW8UK]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Although described as a "giant," the earthworm actually measured between 10 and 12 inches.
They don't spit or smell like lilies, contrary to past descriptions about the creature.

Me thinks they got the wrong worm

top topics

join