It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mother and Child - a powerful image throughout history

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I am starting this thread with one of the oldest and strangest images of a mother nursing a child:

This statuette comes from the Ubaid civilization, situated in Ur 6,000 - 4,000bc.

This link provides some information about them:
www.mnsu.edu...

The Ubaidians founded the ancient Sumerian cities of Adab, Eridu, Kish, Kullab, Lagash, Larsa, Nippur, and Ur. Around 3500 BC, Semite people from the Arabian and Syrian deserts began coming into Ubaidian areas, both peacefully and forcefully. Around 3250 BC, what would later become the Sumerian culture started immigrating to Ubaid territory as well. They brought their own language to the region and there is evidence of Ubaid-Sumerian overlapping of language and customs. Ubaidian traditions were added to by the Uruk culture that came after the Ubaidians.

The Ubaidians were known for their large temples as well as their pottery and their settlement of southern Mesopotamia. Woolley found a huge temple to the earth god Nin-Khursag (Ninhursag). The temple had a dedication inscription (in the Sumerian language) by the king of Ur.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by berenike]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
The following image is Babylonian (Semiramis and Nimrod, I believe), I got it from this site:
www.americanpresbyterianchurch.org...

Anyone wanting an in-depth analysis of the image of mother and child from Babylonian times will find a wealth of information, although the text isn't particularly pc.

The Mother and Child, and the Original of the Child

While this was the theory, the first person in the God. was practically overlooked. As the Great Invisible, taking no immediate concern in human affairs, he was "to be worshipped through silence alone," that is, in point of fact, he was not worshipped by the multitude at all. The same thing is strikingly illustrated in India at this day. Though Brahmà, according to the sacred books, is the first person of the Hindu Triad, and the religion of Hindostan is called by his name, yet he is never worshipped, and there is scarcely a single Temple in all India now in existence of those that were formerly erected to his honor. So also is it in those countries of Europe where the papal system is most completely developed. In papal Italy, as travelers universally admit (except where the Gospel has recently entered), all appearance of worshipping the King Eternal and Invisible is almost extinct, while the Mother and the Child are the grand objects of worship. Exactly so, in this latter respect, also was it in ancient Babylon. The Babylonians, in their popular religion, supremely worshipped a Goddess Mother and a Son, who was represented in pictures and in images as an infant or child in his mother’s arms.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Here are Isis and Horus:

www.egyptianmyths.net...

Isis was a vital link between the gods and mankind. The pharaoh was her son, as the living Horus. In the Pyramid Texts the pharaoh suckles as Isis' divine breasts. There are numerous statues and imagery of Isis holding the young Horus in her lap. Often the images of the queen-mother and current pharaoh were styled in the same way. Isis protected Horus during his childhood from his uncle Seth who wished to murder him. It was her hope that he might one day grow up to avenge his father's murder.

And, because it's so beautiful, her is another image of Isis and Horus:

This image of Isis and Horus was found in the Roman catacombs:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Here is Pharoah Pepi II (a living god) with his mother, Ankhnesmerire II

www.touregypt.net...

According to tradition, Pepi II was the last ruler of Egypt's 6th Dynasty, and in fact the last significant ruler of the Old Kingdom prior to the onset of what Egyptologists call the Fist Intermediate Period. We are told that his reign of possibly 94 (some Egyptologist believe 64) years was the longest in ancient Egyptian history. He seems to have come to the throne at about the age of six, and would therefore have lived until the age of one hundred. However, because of the onset of the First Intermediate Period, the latter part of his reign was probably ineffectual, perhaps at least somewhat due to his advanced age. Both the Oxford History of Ancient Egypt and Peter A. Clayton, have his reign lasting from 2278 until 2184 BC.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Here is an ancient Egyptian statuette (second from left) of a nursing mother. Note the long .ed child:

This is from the Intermediate period 1550 - 1650 bc

To me, the child looks similar to the Ubaid child in my first post.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Looks reptilian to me. I wonder what this peace represented in the past. Could it be referencing animal worship and a mother nursing her child?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Well ok. Hurry up please and add your others. I have one in mind to add but I don't know yet if you're going to post it in your reserved spots.

ETA.

I'm U2Uing you a link let me know if you have it already?

[edit on 28-4-2010 by SLAYER69]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Here is a figurine from the Meso American period - West Mexican Nayanit 300bc - 300AD.

Again, the child has a long .:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Here is the infant Krishna with his foster mother, Yashoda:

www.metmuseum.org...

In the repertoire of South Indian processional bronzes cast in the Chola period, the least represented subject is the young foster-mother Yashoda nursing the infant Krishna. According to legend, the baby Krishna was secreted away from the murderous King Kamsa of Mathura to be raised in safety by foster parents. This image of unselfconscious tenderness and maternal bliss forecasts Krishna's role as the most human of the gods. Having been raised as if a mortal, he embarks on a series of heroic tasks in the pursuit of justice and order in which he periodically reveals his divine powers to the wonderment of his devotees.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by berenike
Here is an ancient Egyptian statuette (second from left) of a nursing mother. Note the long .ed child:

This is from the Intermediate period 1550 - 1650 bc

To me, the child looks similar to the Ubaid child in my first post.

The one next to it looks like a...marital aid...

Anyway, awesome post, very interesting S&F

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Alexander the Great

I was so hoping that no-one would notice that. Thank you for drawing all our attention to it.

Star for you

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I was spoilt for choice when it came to choosing an image of Mary and Jesus, but I liked this Byzantine one:

Russian icon. One of the few images that I have come across where the infant is resting on the right arm of the mother. I don't know if that is significant or not:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander the Great

The one next to it looks like a...marital aid...

That's exactly what that is.

The Egyptians enjoyed many things in life.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:44 PM
link   
There is no bigger icon then Jesus. Love him or hate him. He's one, if not, the biggest influence on mankind. I don't believe he existed, if he did we totally make him better then he seems. Now, on subject it seems this image of a mother and a young child must have more meaning then we know. It could be related to the Venus of Willendorf which appears to represent a pregnant woman. If we found a statue or a piece of art that should mother and her child then we could coin this as a form of early understanding of human life in the past. Which religion could of represent a big factor.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Romantic_Rebel]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Here are Aphrodite and Eros:
www.hermitagemuseum.org...

This statuette, showing Aphrodite amusing Eros with a whipping top, is unique in the collection of Classical terracottas - this is the only known copy of all the copies with such form. This sculpture illustrates a tendency towards genre sculpture which was characteristic of Hellenic art.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

I've been finding out quite a lot whilst I've been gathering these images. I'm not sure how to put my thoughts in such a way that they would make sense to anyone else, though.

I'd encourage people to read the links, especially the article in my second post.

One thing I did notice was that Isis and Mary were said to be able to intercede with the gods or God on behalf of the worshipper. An example, one would think, to women everywhere.

But, from what I remember from my early childhood (and I'm sure I'm not the only one) my mother was on a completely different song sheet. How many of us have heard the magic words "You wait until your father comes home".

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:18 PM
link   

You know (I'm referring to the bible.)

According to Isaiah and Psalms, God forms babies in their mother's womb; life cannot regenerate itself without his help. Thus he remains the sole creator of all life. 24 Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, who formed you from the womb: "I am the LORD, who made all things, who stretched out the heavens alone, who spread out the earth. (Isa. 44:24) 13 For thou didst form my inward parts, thou didst knit me together in my mother's womb. (Psalms 139:13) 6 Upon thee I have leaned from my birth; thou art he who took me from my mother's womb. (Psalms 71:6) 4. Thinking back to the two creation stories in Genesis 1 and 2. In Gen. 1:9, life began after God divided the watery chaos; and in Gen. 2:6, life began after it was watered-those two symbolize the water in women's wombs. In Gen. 1:26, God made man in his own image, and in Gen. 2:7, God breathed life into him-those acts gave men souls. So a man provides the seed, women provide the water and God gives human life by providing the soul.

Many of these images are referred to Mother Goddess. So, it's safe to say the symbol of these objects originates from ancestral religious beliefs.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Romantic_Rebel

You might enjoy this:

www.crystalinks.com...

Sophia (pronounced sew-fee'ah) in Greek, Hohkma in Hebrew, Sapientia in Latin, Celtic goddess-figure Sheela-na-gigs - all mean wisdom,. The Judeo-Christian God's female soul, source of his true power is Sophia. As Goddess of wisdom and fate , her faces are many: Black Goddess, Divine Feminine, Mother of God The Gnostic Christians, Sophia was the Mother of Creation; her consort and assistant was Jehovah. Her sacred shrine, Hagia Sophia in Istanbul, is one of the seven wonders of the world. Her symbol, the dove, represents spirit; she is crowned by stars, a Middle Eastern icon, to indicate her absolute divinity.

Sophia is found throughout the wisdom books of the Bible. There are references to Her in the book of Proverbs, and in the apocryphal books of Sirach and the Wisdom of Solomon (accepted by Catholics and Orthodox, found in the Greek Septuagint of the early Church).

Sophia and her daughters: Faith, Hope and Love

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 12:23 AM
link   
OK Ready yet?

I'm all about the pregnant alien

posted on May, 1 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

More than ready. I've been eagerly awaiting your post. I've had something in mind that we could discuss once it's up.

Pregnant alien? Sources? Corroborating evidence?

Enquiring minds want to know

top topics

<<   2 >>

join