It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amnesty for Illegals would broaden the tax base.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Befor you flame me, hear me out. I feel amnesty for illegals who can pass a certain criteria would help broaden our tax base and help us right our economy!

By passing a few key tests

1. background check, deport illegals w criminal past.
2. enroll in english as a second language course and swear an oath to honor ond obey our countrys laws.
3. work and pay taxes.

i know some of u will say well they are already here illegaly they are already breaking the law but i feel the above tests i mentioned would help weed out the troublemakers. believe it or not the majority of illegals here are looking for a better life and are good decent hard working people.

unfortunately there are some bad apples that are already taking advantage of the system. why not legalize the ones that can pass the criteria i mentioned, put their tax dollars to good efficient use(that would be a another thread to ponder lol)??
of course american companies should be held accountable for hiring illegals.
there would not be so many illegals here if the american companies were not trying to save a buck by hiring them. do the amnesty tests, then tighten up the borders, deport all that are not willing to pass the tests, make the ones who can work and pay taxes. what do you guys think?

[edit on 28-4-2010 by conspiracy nut]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I would rather have the tax-exempt status they have than have them join the share-cropping status I have.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:56 PM
link   
What tax base? Let me give you some credit for having some knowledge in this matter, but your reply will only answer that question for me.

What is the average salary of Illegals? Most illegals do hard labor work so its at max around 30k +/-.

Now how many people in that range pay taxes? I don't think you have to think
too hard on this one.

Now if you make below a certain salary, you are now able to receive even more social benefits after amnesty than the ones you were receiving as an illegal.

AMNESTY for ILLEGALS is just like throwing more GASOLINA at the PROBLEMA, Comprende!!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   
I would guess that the aggregate would actually cost us. First question, what is the average income of the illegals? Second, knowing the answer to the first, how much would they actually pay in taxes? Third, how many would become eligible for social services and what's that cost. Now take the difference.

Phil

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Philalethes

I think we both have the same concerns regarding amnesty for illegals as we asked the same exact questions, lol.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If they offer the illegale immigrants amensty, then it is a gamble that I am afraid that the President of the United States will not be prepared for, cause there will be an outcry by the legal citizens in the country that will force more issues that the federal government will not be able to deal with. In short I believe it will be political suicide the likes that will put a further division in the country. Most people of the country are law abiding and believing in equal justice, however, the moment that they choose to forgive people for breaking the law then I say that there will be ramifications that none of the people in DC can even begin to imagine. People are tired of the federal government failing to protect their interests in favor of special interests, and are tired of an unequal system of government where it is the few and not the majority that is getting all of the rights and speaking for the country. What ever happens will determine a course that will either ease public tensions or cause it to grow.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It would if they actually pay the taxes. Remember, they avoided federal rules and regulations getting in - no guarantee they'll suddenly abide by the tax laws.

Replacing the income tax with a consumption tax would also broaden the tax base, but without providing amnesty. (Plus, it would tax everyone deriving income from the black market). I guess that's a different topic though...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The illegal alien that stole my mothers social security number made more than I did. My mother did not get the money withheld from each paycheck of the illegal working, the goverment kept it. I wonder how much they keep every year? Yes, illegals do pay taxes.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Philalethes

They are already paying tax. Sales taxes as well as income tax withholding with bogus ID yet never file for a return.

They are illegals.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I appreciate the courage it takes to go up against the staunch, illogical, and unreasonable fervor in this country in regards to illegal immigration.

I agree with you, greatly in fact, but you can not simply offer amnesty and think it will work.

True, it will bring them into the fold, so to speak, but it will do nothing to solve the other associated issues. A more far reaching reform is needed to accomplish the goals most would like to see.

1) You must actually account for the inward pressure of immigrants and we should return to our preferential treatment of those from our hemisphere. We can turn that pressure into proper results by allowing in more people, making the process easier, making it much faster.

2) We must plug the holes that would continue to allow people to come in without the knowledge (or ability to do anything about) of State and local government. This is otherwise known as "securing the border". The increased pressure relief valve I call a new "Ellis Island Initiative" would remove much of the criminal's ability to use common people as mules and supply them with money.

3) We must address the drug problem, I propose by decriminalizing some of the current modern drugs.

4) We must remove Federal Social programs and allow states to decide what programs they want or if they want any at all.

This would remove the low hanging fruit for those who would take from the system.

5) We must eliminate labor-based taxation and rely on state income tax and business taxes to pay the bills. With Social programs gone or on a lower government level (state or local) it would save more, waste less, be more transparent, and local people would have a greater ability to affect change.

6) We must give those here currently the ability to become legal if they have no criminal record (obviously other than immigration violations). A 1 year time period seems reasonable to me.

7) After we have the situation in hand and the 1 year grace period is up, we must have tough enforcement for those caught to be here illegally.

I propose we send them somewhere that is NOT where they came from. Perhaps Guam can be used for something beneficial.

Amnesty has been tried, and alone it does nothing but reward the actions. Expect flaming, especially from "conservatives", who seem to have lost their economic way.

Peace
KJ

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Unless the were on welfare

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:39 PM
link   
well how much do u think it would cost to send them back? way more than working them into the system. there are millions of illegals here, we have to step in and do something soon. if we could put the criteria in place that i mentioned, that would help the crime issue. i propose we impose a flat tax on the one ones that recieve the amnesty. then we get serious about not letting anymore in and deporting anyone that did not pass the criteria. this is a give-take solution, as much as some people would just like them to go back to where they came from, think about how long and hard and expensive that would actually be.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by conspiracy nut

today the news was filled with talk of Amnesty for Illegals but not citizenship...
it all sounds suspicious to me...

Obama wants them to join his health care plan...
Others say send them back...
right now if I was an illegal I wouldn't be sticking my head out for no empty promises

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
well how much do u think it would cost to send them back?

Didnt cost them very much to get here, did it?

I suppose it all comes down to "business class" or "coach" figuratively speaking.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The bottom 47% of American income earners don't pay any income tax, and most actually get money back. Where do you think these citizens who acquire amnesty will fall on the income bracket? There will not be grand influx of new tax money from mass amnesty. All it will do is add more dead weight at the bottom that those who pay income tax will have to carry.

Just in case anyone calls crap on the 47%

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

That's amazing. 47%? I make less than 30K but there's still a solid chuck taken every week for federal taxes and last year I ended up owing extra on top of it.

So are 47% of household making less than I am?

How do I get in on this "not paying income tax" thing?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

How do I get in on this "not paying income tax" thing?

Have a kid. I made just under 30k last year, and for the first time ever I got more back in Federal than I payed in.

That's where much of it comes from...also the tax credits for new homebuyers and other programs made the numbers what they were. If you didn't take advantage of those programs...that is probably why you didn't break the line.

Areas with a lower standard of living benefit the most from these laws...especially those in rural areas as you get more bank for you buck than you would in an urban area or city.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Hmmm....

I do live in a rural area. Looked for a house this past year but I didnt have enough of a down payment and prices were still too high for me to feel secure in being able to pay off the mortgage and because of that I dont feel having a kid would be the responsible thing for me to do.

Funny, all I had to do to get money back (have less of my money taken from me) was to have a kid before I can afford to and buy I house I cant afford.

I thought this whole "recession" thing was supposed to teach us and government a lesson or two about doing just that sort of behavior?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Well the child tax credit has been law since Clinton was in office and I believe the credit is in the process of being increased or has increased.

ALso, if you are not married, you get to claim head of household if you have a kid. I am actually not married myself, but have been with the same woman for years. (I always refer to her as my wife here).

My tax return literally went up nearly 4k which we used to pay off ALL of our medical bills from the pregnancy and child doctor visits afterward.

We also were looking for a house but also were uncomfortable with what we were making in taking the plunge..but if we were to have gotten a house that was worth at least 80,000 dollars...we would have gotten an 8000 tax credit...which would have put my return at over 12k.

Many people took advantage of that program...many here on ATS did I bet...although they probably wouldn't tell you. That program ends at the end of this month.

The crazy crap is....we were approved for a 200,000 loan!!! We could never afford that. No wonder the housing market went to S.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by David9176]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

my answer is to impose a flat tax on the income of people that qualify to stay here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join