It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican flyer wants to send Rep. Betty Sutton "back to the kithen".

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Send me "Back to the Kitchen"?

Last week a talented, young woman full of promise came to me with a flier her family received in the mail from the Republican Party. As she handed me the mailer, with a sense of disappointment and hurt, she pointed to a line in the flier that read, 'Let's take Betty Sutton out of the House and send her back to the kitchen.'

This seems like such a tasteless way to vie for a seat in Congress. But it also seems like a wonderful way to ostracize voters. In my opinion, this flyer does not only degrades Rep. Betty Sutton, it degrades all woman in congress, in positions of power, and I would even take it so far as to say in the workplace. Why would anyone, in this day in age, even if it's how they feel, be so bold as to put this on a mailer and send to numerous voters and not think there would be backlash?

edit: to fix title

Thoughts?

[edit on 28-4-2010 by nunya13]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
HUFFINGTON POST....

More here say and its a mere diversion tactic to swing the mass exodus of women from the democratic party to the republican party.

Would you or the authors of the article be making any PROOF available of said flier? While you are it, Breitbart still has that $100,000 grand for proof of any video depicting the use of "N" word at those civil right loons.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by prionace glauca]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Thoughts?

Hmm, my thoughts is that I'm not buying this story.

Doesn't sound believable.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Definitely need to provide proof it's a Republican flyer. Anyone or group could have made it. Proof does not equal someone's story on a lefty site that barely qualifies as more than a blog.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   
You guys are right...sorry. It is actually embarrassing that I didn't do that first. Seriously, I'm sorry. And just so you know, I'm not an Huffington post fan. I'll be back with what I can find. However, to my credit, I did put this in Political Madness because of the obvious rhetoric. I'm not trying to whip people into a frenzy or anything.

I'll be back with what I can find and an even bigger apology if the story is just a lot of hooey.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Here's a CNN's political ticker is discussing the same issue at length. Betty Sutton is asking for GOP county committee chairman Bill Heck to step down.

Political Ticker

Hecks comments:

Heck defended the flyer's overall message, telling CNN it was intended to educate and engage voters. And he dismissed Sutton's call for his resignation.

"If there's going be a change that's going to come from the Medina County Republican Party," Heck said.

But Heck acknowledged the "back in the kitchen" line was in poor taste. "I agree with her 100 percent," Heck said of Sutton's complaint.

"I think it was a mistake on that choice of words," he said. "This piece of rhetoric was certainly not meant to be offensive."

Heck noted that he has two daughters and his wife had previously run for elective office.

"So the words themselves weren't intended to be offensive or sexist," he said.

Here is a link to the actual flyer: link

The words at issue are under the "Had enough hope & change" heading.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nunya13
Thoughts?

Absolutely, definitely, unquestionably...
...she needs to go back to the kitchen.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Congressional Dems Ignore FEMALE Dems

As if derivatives weren’t hard enough to comprehend— and regulate — add a little gender politics.

That’s what surfaced in last Thursday’s closed-door Democratic Policy Committee meeting when Sen. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.) called out the Senate old boys for seeming to brush off the new girl on the financial reform block: Senate Agriculture Committee Chairwoman Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark.).

“It was tough, pointed,” said one observer. “It was about jurisdiction but also gender.”

Asked about the treatment of Lincoln, Cantwell singled out Geithner: “The treasury secretary didn’t meet with her until after the bill was passed out of the committee… It’s important to go back and realize that we deregulated the derivatives, preventing the CFDC [Commodity Futures Trading Commission] from doing their job, and a big part of getting this right is to go back and make sure derivatives are properly overseen by that agency.”

“So why someone would skip out, not talking to her about it. It seems to me that would be a mistake.”

And the Good Ole' Boys Club is open for membership on both sides.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I think this denigrates kitchens everywhere

j/k

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

I'm sorry, maybe I didn't realize that I had to make an overt statement that I'm not trying to play political sides here. I think the "good ole boys" from the dem and pub sides are equally deplorable. Yes, this includes the gals, too.

If you notice, I did not make any comments such as "those republicans are sexist pigs" or "see, this is why the republicans are full of crap". So I don't understand why, instead of discussing the issue at hand you are deflecting the issue and bringing up equally deplorable actions perpetrated by the "other side".

top topics

join