It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harry Reid: Republican party's filibuster 'anti-American'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Alright Reid, It's go time. Shame on the GOP for addressing the legislation prior to the debate.

I think it is more Anti American to blatantly ignore the will if the majority as it relates to HCR.

This is just another classic tactic. Anti-American... Wow! Reid's got nothing left up his sleeve and wants to push as much through before he loses his reelection bid. We are all starting to see that sweat on your brow Harry.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) accused Republicans of being “anti-American” by demanding changes to a Wall Street regulation bill before it's debated openly on the Senate floor.

Speaking to reporters just before the Democrats’ third attempt to break a GOP filibuster on the issue, Reid said that Republicans “keep stalling, keep stalling.” He charged Republicans with trying to pick apart the bill before it even comes to the floor where both sides could offer amendments and openly debate the measure.

The GOP response

On the floor earlier Wednesday, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said the GOP has prevented the bill from coming to the floor because Republicans want to fix the legislation first.

“So this time people have actually had a chance to look at one of these massive Democrat bills for a change, and what’s perfectly clear to most of them is that this bill needs some work, which is precisely what Republicans have been saying for the last two weeks,” McConnell said.

www.politico.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Prince Harry and silly leftists are only left with using names & branding dissenters as Un-American. The only crowd they have to play to are the ones who consider themselves democrats. The others have awoken and are waiting for November.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by prionace glauca

What exactly is so American about an elected MINORITY binding the hands of the elected MAJORITY?

The fillibuster seems pretty un-American by nature. Using it on everything the MAJORITY wants to do just seems even more so.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Oh brother, the Democrats and their state run media complained nonstop about the use of anti-American for 8 years during the Bush administration and now they trot it out. What a joke.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Alright Reid, It's go time. Shame on the GOP for addressing the legislation prior to the debate.

This is a blatant mistruth. The GOP is PREVENTING the bill from being debated, hence the fillibuster.

One more issue where all these newly 'awakened' patriots who reject party politics are supporting the party of the kleptocracy that ran this country into the ditch largely via lax regulations of the financial industry. More proof that republicans support bankers and wall street over people that do actual work.

Best,
SN

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by K J Gunderson

The fillibuster seems pretty un-American by nature. Using it on everything the MAJORITY wants to do just seems even more so.

This is most likely due to the utter lockout of the reps. by the dems in this congress. Both sides have been playing games.

Dems Lock Out Republicans -- Literally

Let's not forget the perpetual Rep. lockouts and Dem. back room meetings throughout the entire HCR process either.

Tit for Tat. I suppose. Our politicians have lowered themselves to playground antics and we have a president with no intention of ever reaching across the aisle as promised. Obama is driving this mess by constantly antagonizing the opposition.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by skunknuts

This is a blatant mistruth. The GOP is PREVENTING the bill from being debated, hence the fillibuster.

One more issue where all these newly 'awakened' patriots who reject party politics are supporting the party of the kleptocracy that ran this country into the ditch largely via lax regulations of the financial industry. More proof that republicans support bankers and wall street over people that do actual work.

Best,
SN

Ah yes, that must be why Goldman Sachs supports the passage of this bill.

Don't act like Democraps are anti-wall street, everything they have done since they took power has been for their benefit.

BS bunch of intellectual puke getting spilled out on these forums on a daily basis, from people who refuse to see what is happening around them. And morons STILL saying that lax regulations caused the crisis. Half Obama's cabinet came from Goldman Sachs, and the other half came directly from the bush administration, and you yutz's act like he's the good guy?

It's all crap, all of you would have protested this crap 4 years ago. But since the Dem's are in power, you just line up to support these marauding jackasses.

Wish I could say it was surprising. But stupidity is nothing if not predictable.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by aravoth]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

I know dealing w/ shades of gray are an ordeal for those w/ certain personality traits and routinized thinking patterns. Many ways to say this, one of which is 'don't let the better be the enemy of the perfect.'

There is a conflict--the dems. want to move forward, the gop is filibustering. That implies disagreement, which is antithetical to your world-view expressed above. Yes, GSK says regulation will be good long term. I agree. The market hates uncertainty.

I know you crave anarchy, but I'm dealing w/ the real world. Humans are political animals. Anarchy is incompatible w/ our nature.

As for this statement, you gotta be kidding. I was called unamerican for protesting by the authoritarian right. That is why the teabaggers have zero credibility. Look how they mocked cindy sheehan, code pink, answr, etc., etc. Look at the historically unprecedented usage of the filibuster, and it becomes clear you are obfuscating. I, and similar minded people, predicted the whole bush debachle from the start--don't throw this BS at me. How dare you.

It's all crap, all of you would have protested this crap 4 years ago. But since the Dem's are in power, you just line up to support these marauding jackasses.

Best,
SN

[edit on 4/28/2010 by skunknuts]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Harry Reid is unamerican...

He has neared single digit(?) approval rating.

OMG do some people need to be slapped upside the head ... CONTINUOUSLY ... to understand.

I'll type slowly... Harry Reid is not going to be re-elected because NO ONE wants him.

That's what lowest approval rating means. It won't change at the voting booths.

I think the thread was side tracked... It's not about tea baggers etc...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Yet you didn't address the issue WHY they are filibustering. Didn't you see the reason Mitch McConnell gave?

“So this time people have actually had a chance to look at one of these massive Democrat bills for a change, and what’s perfectly clear to most of them is that this bill needs some work, which is precisely what Republicans have been saying for the last two weeks,” McConnell said.

So what do you think about that? Are you going to blow that off and just stick to the old tired mantra of "the Republicans are the Party of NO" or do you think maybe, just MAYBE it makes sense to FIX a bill BEFORE you begin debating the bill? What good does debating a flawed bill do besides waste time and resources?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   

reply to post by aravoth

I know dealing w/ shades of gray are an ordeal for those w/ certain personality traits and routinized thinking patterns. Many ways to say this, one of which is 'don't let the better be the enemy of the perfect.'

There is a conflict--the dems. want to move forward, the gop is filibustering. That implies disagreement, which is antithetical to your world-view expressed above. Yes, GSK says regulation will be good long term. I agree. The market hates uncertainty.

I know you crave anarchy, but I'm dealing w/ the real world. Humans are political animals. Anarchy is incompatible w/ our nature.

As for this statement, you gotta be kidding. I was called unamerican for protesting by the authoritarian right. That is why the teabaggers have zero credibility. Look how they mocked cindy sheehan, code pink, answr, etc., etc. Look at the historically unprecedented usage of the filibuster, and it becomes clear you are obfuscating. I, and similar minded people, predicted the whole bush debachle from the start--don't throw this BS at me. How dare you.

Best,
SN

[edit on 4/28/2010 by skunknuts]

Yeah I was called a terrorist by the authoritarian right, and now I'm called a racist by the domineering left. You know what the difference between you and me is?

I didn't change my mind when the next Banker puppet took the stage.

The market doesn't hate uncertainty, the market IS uncertainty.

You and your ilk are trying to contain human nature. This will end the same way it always ended when a bunch of idiots tried to control the market, by the invisible hand bitch slapping you back into the stone age.

new topics

top topics

join