It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet increases child exploitation problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Internet increases child exploitation problems

www.kvue.com

Police say the Internet and social media sites make it easier for predators to find victims, including children.

Suggestive ads are common on sites such as Craigslist and Backpage.com. Some even specify they are looking for young girls and boys.

Child advocates say a runaway child will be propositioned by a predator within 48 hours of leaving home.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:42 AM
link   
So here's a story about charges against a Kansas couple accused of forcing a 16-year-old into child prostitution.

Now rather then blame this couple... or the parents for not keeping an eye on their kids this story blames the internet...

While this is indeed a sad story I dont buy the Internet bit... those folks who seek to do bad things will find a way with or without twitter or a facebook page.

The 16-year-old victim involved in prostitution last week is now held at a juvenile detention center in Austin. She is an undocumented Mexican immigrant; however, police say they do not plan to deport her.

Your thought's??????

www.kvue.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:09 PM
link   
The internet changed everything didn't it?

You make a great point about this article being a bit twisted to include the internet comments - let's demonize the internet!!!

Of course, you know that Austin - being the capitol of Texas - has lots of politicians and lobbyists. Perhaps there's a shortage of 16 year old female prostitutes in Austin, thus no plans to deport the poor girl. (sarcasm)

Hopefully, they will be able to do better than turn her over to CPS - Texas doesn't have such a great record in that department.

gj

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I think you people are a little bit too in love with the internet because everytime a story pops up that implicates the internet, ATS members flood the thread with "Oh, it's not the internet fault. The internet is a nice guy. Eh's pretty cool and doesn't afraid of censorship."

It's more than obvious that email, online messaging, chat rooms, social sites, etc.. etc.. have replaced the stranger in a van, or guy waiting around in the playground.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:55 PM
link   
The internet has to be one of the best places by far, since you never have to leave your home, it is by choice.

If sexual misconduct is the subject, it is much easier to look at the Vatican and other sexual conspiracies easily visible to people.

Haiti is likely a hot zone for deporting children, since there is so much chaos and children can be found everywhere.

The U.S. corp. likely shipped some to the Vatican as-well.

The internet could be a start for censorship, but lets start off by censoring the world of corrupt religious and political leaders whom cause more sexual problems then the sexual predators on the internet.

Just my thoughts.

edited for spelling and grammer.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Quickfix]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Personally I find the internet to be just like my sword, it's only as good [or bad] as the person who wields [uses] it. In this case the people who had chosen to use it for Child prostitution are clearly in the wrong. I also wouldn't go so far as to blame the internet on the whole. Child's parents -- where were they? Did she run away which would explain how she may have been forced or was there something else?

Also if I may continue asking questions what exactly compels a person to traffic another? I don't want to use a story that is in my head currently as it involves a co-workers child. All I will say is that she has probably been missing for about a month and some weeks now... So I know what compels people to traffic humans, but what is it to this couple?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Why not blame the phone company surely phone calls were exchanged
or why not the camera companies or the bus lines air carries the shoe makers for providing her foot wear to get to this country...

the Internet maybe a useful tool but it is incapable of doing good or bad on its own. the real blame rests with the parties involved.... the people who abuse things and other people

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

My daughter was in a fifth grade class with an American girl, many years back... her mother was hooked on Meth... she sold/exchanged her daughter for drugs... That is only one of thousands of reasons crappy as they are...

I do feel sad I cant just claim all these kids, bring em home and let em grow up healthy happy adults but at least I can do that for my own kids.. even if at times they think dear old dad is meddling

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DaddyBare

Wow that's rough, it's a sad state in which parents would sell their kids for means of getting drugs. Also sometimes 'meddling' in a child's affair is the best way to keep them safe. Though they may not say thank you then, they will more than likely say it later.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare
reply to post by RestingInPieces

Why not blame the phone company surely phone calls were exchanged
or why not the camera companies or the bus lines air carries the shoe makers for providing her foot wear to get to this country...

the Internet maybe a useful tool but it is incapable of doing good or bad on its own. the real blame rests with the parties involved.... the people who abuse things and other people

The article isn't "blaming" anything for what is happening. It's merely pointing out that the internet is used for these things. Where in the article does it say the internet is at fault for child exploitation?

You're defending it when it doesn't need to be defended. It's not being attacked in this article. The title of the article implicitly states that the internet is only adding to something that already exists.

You can't honestly deny that the internet doesn't open up a vast array of doors for sexual predators.

Yes, even more doors than busses, airplanes and shoes.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Yes please, government please do filter and protect me and all the children of the world. Add sensorship and monitor all internet for our innocent ones...

Also, 16 year old child prostitution? Wth?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RestingInPieces
I think you people are a little bit too in love with the internet because everytime a story pops up that implicates the internet, ATS members flood the thread with "Oh, it's not the internet fault. The internet is a nice guy. Eh's pretty cool and doesn't afraid of censorship."

It's more than obvious that email, online messaging, chat rooms, social sites, etc.. etc.. have replaced the stranger in a van, or guy waiting around in the playground.

Why is it when the predator meets the youngster in a mall, we don't blame the mall? Or when the priest fondles the alter boy in the church, we don't blame the church? But when they meet via the internet...its the Internets fault?

It seems to me that pedophilia has been happening for a much longer time than the internet has been around. True the internet provides an additional venue for the predators to approach kids but they had many methods before the internet and they would if there were no internet.

Todays fad is to blame the Internet for everything that society doesn't want to take responsibility for. Kinda reminds me of TV through the 80's.

..Ex

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Shocking!

Parents need to keep their children off the evil internet and pack them off to church to pray. Errrrr......ummmm... on second thoughts....

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by v3_exceed

Originally posted by RestingInPieces

Why is it when the predator meets the youngster in a mall, we don't blame the mall? Or when the priest fondles the alter boy in the church, we don't blame the church? But when they meet via the internet...its the Internets fault?

You don't blame the mall because it doesn't provide the same type of avenue the internet does... mainly, anonymity and ease of access to young children who are not supervised by parents, security, passer-bys, or even cameras. There are always eyes on you sometime when you are in public, but not on the internet - because it is virtually private.

Now, I'm sure we'd blame the mall if they had an area that was cordoned off, perhaps with a door, where only one child and one adult were allowed in at a time. You can easily build a virtual one of these on the internet.

Perhaps we'd blame the mall if they had a large cork "message board" where you can say "21/yr seeking 13 yr old for sex and bj"

I think you are forgetting the internet is completely uncensored... at least over here.

It seems to me that pedophilia has been happening for a much longer time than the internet has been around. True the internet provides an additional venue for the predators to approach kids but they had many methods before the internet and they would if there were no internet.

It's not only an "additional" avenue, it has virtually opened up the flood gates. Take a survey of children who have been asked for sex in real life by people 20 years older than them, and compare it to those same offers on the internet.

Todays fad is to blame the Internet for everything that society doesn't want to take responsibility for. Kinda reminds me of TV through the 80's.

..Ex

Again, nobody is blaming. People merely are pointing it out, that it's possible and that it does happen. Certain people urge parents to take caution and monitor their children, due to the fact that they can be asked for anal sex 5 minutes after they first get on the internet. 1 Minute after that, a stranger can send them a picture of themselves masturbating - most times whether they asked for it or not.

... and then, there are people like you.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by RestingInPieces]

top topics

join