It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Happens When Black Holes Combine?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   

There are some theories, and yes, they are all disturbing.

Black holes are space's boogeymen. Although there are a lot of monsters out there in the universe – supernovas, asteroids, death stars – they are never quite as scary. Black holes retain a aura of mystery and menace. How could they not? They retain everything.

For those who have stumbled on this site having never seen, read, or even heard about science fiction, here is a brief refresher course in spaceology. Black holes are what happen when there is too much of a good thing, only without the good. Too many things, too much mass, and the too much gravity that they produce when pushed together in one place, will eventually collapse into a single point with infinite density.

‘A single point,' you say. ‘Is that what makes them take up at least fifty percent of an IMAX movie screen? The fact that they're a single point?'

I don't appreciate your tone, but no. When we see black holes in space operas and documentaries, usually accompanied by a threatening chorus of cellos, we aren't seeing the black holes themselves. We're seeing the event horizon. A black hole's gravitational force is so intense that once objects get within a certain distance of them, they're sucked in. This happens to every massive object, including light. Since we see reflected light, and no light can get to us once it travels within a certain distance, all we see a large patch of darkness.

Obviously, this makes black holes tough to study. So what happens when two big patches of darkness get so close together that they fall into one another?

Click link for whole article.
Source

I found this interesting and thought I would share. What would be cool is if one black hole (the smaller one) managed to get successfully passed through the bigger black hole to wherever it got spewed out, assuming that is what happens with black holes in the first place.

Black holes are like space's recycle bin.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Crossfate]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Black holes are solid objects, its just that their mass is so dense that the gravitational effects are stronger then lights capability to escape. So I would imagine that if two black holes colided they would simply combine to one larger balck hole.

Of corse this is all just theory!

-E-

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Crossfate

From Source:

According to simulations made by G.A. Shields from the University of Texas, Austin, and E.W. Bonning, from Yale University, the result is often a powerful recoil. Instead of coming together nicely, the forces are so extreme that one black holes is kicked away at a tremendous velocity.

But...

An older article says Differently...

"What is interesting during this phase is the critical separation stage when the black holes get close enough and all the gas trapped between them immediately rushes to the more massive black hole, leading to a brief increase in brightness coupled with an energetic outflow of gas at very high speeds,"

So...It seems a few different scenarios are possible.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Okay, I'll bite.

Blacker holes?

Humour DOES contribute to a thread.

Peace

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by happygolucky

Guess there's only one way to find out then! "ruffles his messy hair and starts digging in the kitchen for vacuum and blender parts while writing on the chalkboard"

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:20 PM
link   
hey cancel each other out and produce a rainbow.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Yeah.....

I think its what he said, its like a negative subtracted by a negative is equaled to a positive...i.e -5-(-5)=10

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
A door emerges, do you wanna take a look inside and see what behind the door????

[edit on 4/28/10 by Ophiuchus 13]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Quite simple really. They have baby black holes , then spoon feed them red dwarfs.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   

What Happens When Black Holes Combine?

Two negatives equal a positive. Yes/No?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by noobsauce13
Yeah.....

I think its what he said, its like a negative subtracted by a negative is equaled to a positive...i.e -5-(-5)=10

Would you believe that I answered the question before I read your post?

[edit on 28/4/2010 by Hedera Helix]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by noobsauce13
Yeah.....

Of course... so logical and right in front of us... I never saw it!

top topics

join