Immigration Bill Bad for Business and Economy

page: 1

join

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Source

As any good shopkeeper will tell you, the sale you make at the register today isn't nearly as important as your ability to attract repeat customers.

If Arizona Senate Bill 1070, said to be the toughest immigration legislation in the nation, becomes law, it will be as if we're telling America: "Sorry, we're closed for business."

While many question the constitutionality of the law and others are justifiably concerned about its potential civil-rights implications, those of us doing the work of chambers of commerce worrying about two things: 1) Is the business climate in Arizona conducive to the creation and growth of small businesses? 2) Is Arizona positioned to attract major companies to relocate to our state or expand their existing operations here?

If Senate Bill 1070 becomes law, the answers to both those questions could be a resounding "No."

Consider the fallout in the wake of the passage of a similar law in Prince William County, Va. in 2007 that required local police to stop and randomly question Hispanic-looking people about their right to be in the United States.

Many Latinos - citizens, legal immigrants and undocumented immigrants alike - packed up and left town. Latino- and non-Latino-owned businesses were forced to shut their doors. The crime rate increased. Foreclosure rates skyrocketed.

Lawsuits, boycotts, expensive enforcement budget, hostile business condition. The bill is DoA, IMO. It's not like I don't understand the frustration, it's simply an unrealistic solution. As for Texas proposing a similar bill, well.. we'll just have to wait and see, who knows maybe it'll work after all.

Related news:

New immigration law impacts Arizona economy

Blogging from PHOENIX— Despite assurances from The Governor , Arizona’s new immigration identity law is already costing the cash strapped State millions of dollars in lost convention and tourism business. Passage of the soviet style identity statute, will require all individuals to provide law enforcement with identification papers on demand.

Partisan State officials continue to insist despite the statutes unambiguous wording the law targets only individuals who are in the State illegally. Most disturbing was the revelation that the primary author of the law has confirmed ties to a national white supremacist group which was funded by the 70 year old Pioneer fund, Kris Kobach a lawyer running for office in Kansas who represents the federation for American immigration reform is claiming credit for authoring the Arizona law, his group was started by Dr. John Tanton a self avowed white supremacist who took in at least a million dollars from the folks at the Pioneer group, which is infamous for its seventy year history of attempting to convince folks men like Adolf Hitler were right about eugenics.

A majority of Americans support reforming our outdated immigration policy and shoring up our boarders to prevent terrorists and undocumented aliens from entering the country, but polls indicate they are unaware the individuals and groups behind the current movement that produced the Arizona papers please law, are in fact documented members and associates of violent anti-American neo-Nazi and white supremacist groups.

In Wake of Immigration Law, Calls for an Economic Boycott of Arizona

And so on and so forth.

ps: If you really like this bill, you should consider moving to arizona or texas, seriously.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Developing from drudge report (via blacklisted news). Drones will be sent to patrol texas border.

Drudge

SEND IN THE DRONES: PREDATORS TO FLY ABOVE TEX-MEX BORDER
Tue Apr 27 2010 19:39:41 ET

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told a Senate hearing Tuesday that unmanned aerial drones will soon fly through Texas skies!

"Big Sis" declared that over the past 15 months, federal law enforcement initiatives have made the border more secure than in any other time in history, the SAN ANTONIO EXPRESS-NEWS reports in Wednesday editions.

The new "predator bees" have the capability to fly at altitudes used by commercial aircraft, and are designed to enhance intelligence capabilities of federal, state and local law enforcement.

But a recent analysis of the use of unmanned aerial vehicles found that they were twice as likely to crash as manned aircraft, according to the Congressional Research Service.

Developing...

Dallas News - Aerial drone will fly on Texas border soon, Napolitano says

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:57 AM
link   
And also if you really hate this bill, I suggest you hand in your citizenship & exit the country in a orderly fashion.

Now with Texas and Ohio considering THE ORIGINAL FEDERAL LAW, maybe we can finally hamper down on unnecessary costs in our local communities.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca
And also if you really hate this bill, I suggest you hand in your citizenship & exit the country in a orderly fashion.

Now with Texas and Ohio considering THE ORIGINAL FEDERAL LAW, maybe we can finally hamper down on unnecessary costs in our local communities.

I am in Ohio and just heard on the local radio...the quoted Dem Gov saying that Ohio didnt need to follow Arizonas lead and like the Prez called it, the Arizona bill "unfortunate"...something like that.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:07 AM
link   
All things considered this is not the time for this country to be trying to protect illegals.

Here the facts...they all could never be citizens anyway for any number of reasons. This is all about protecting a workforce and the Mexican econmoy.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by prionace glauca

Why??

If you like the arizona bill, you should move in to fill in the vacuum, help the economy, makes perfect sense.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Ohio officals are saying that we have better things to worry about than 1% of population here.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Very good assessment, the problems are all being blamed on a population of little more than 1% of the country, yet they are being blamed for 99% of the problems. From a rational mind one could only see how flawed this blame is, and the path to destruction is almost complete. JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE to cut off your nose to spite your face.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by svpwizard]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Well from your source, I will just post the ONLY comment.

TiredMEXifornian said,
in April 27th, 2010 at 2:46 am

It will certainly affect the AZ ecomony POSITIVELY! congrats to AZ.

I’m looking forward to travel more to AZ, a proud state who has more guts than Obama, as i am quite tired of all the illegals here in CA. I may launch a small business in AZ

Also AZ will become stronger sonce it does not have to spend billions on illegals as they flee

And what is TOTALLY hilarious this from the source-

Arizona’s new immigration identity law is already costing the cash strapped State millions of dollars in lost convention and tourism business.

The law has not even gone into effect yet. Yeah, NO PROPAGANDA HERE!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
This will be good. All of the states that say we don't need laws like the one AZ just passed, hope they are prepared, as there will be a mass exodus from the State of AZ and other states that pass these kinds of laws, and soon they will face the same kinds of problems that AZ is facing and much more.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by endisnighe
reply to post by Jazzyguy

Well from your source, I will just post the ONLY comment.

TiredMEXifornian said,
in April 27th, 2010 at 2:46 am

It will certainly affect the AZ ecomony POSITIVELY! congrats to AZ.

I’m looking forward to travel more to AZ, a proud state who has more guts than Obama, as i am quite tired of all the illegals here in CA. I may launch a small business in AZ

Also AZ will become stronger sonce it does not have to spend billions on illegals as they flee

And what is TOTALLY hilarious this from the source-

Arizona’s new immigration identity law is already costing the cash strapped State millions of dollars in lost convention and tourism business.

The law has not even gone into effect yet. Yeah, NO PROPAGANDA HERE!

No constitutional fortitude either

of course it is easy to justify cause it feels so good

It is also funny that after the year in outrage we see

A. a mandate

B. cheering the destruction of the 4th

C. increase in police powers and effective government

Frelling idiots

I get a turn too right?

Don't forget the apparatus that was put in place to defend against terrorists my friend,
how did that end up?

Exactly

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sdcigarpig
This will be good. All of the states that say we don't need laws like the one AZ just passed, hope they are prepared, as there will be a mass exodus from the State of AZ and other states that pass these kinds of laws, and soon they will face the same kinds of problems that AZ is facing and much more.

What makes you believe there will be a mass exodus from AZ.
I know a number of retires that after the new no permit CCW law in AZ and Other laws are trying to sell there property in Calif just to move to AZ.
And one is a retired police officer that can no longer stand the soft on criminal illegals BS here in Calif.

In the area he was a cop in Calif 70% of the thefts were done by illegals.
And many times they warned illegals about trespassing only to get calls and find the same illegals trespassing on other people property.
It was always no habla English. Even after they were warned in spanish.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
The impact on the economy will be temporary at best.

If the exodus includes most of the illegals then they will no longer be draining the state budgets, so how can that be bad?

Is it really that hard to become an American citizen the legal way?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

That 1% number comes from a report that states there are only 7 million illegal immigrants in the country. Most estimates of the illegal immigrant population to be from 15-20 million. Some estimates are as high as 30 million.

So if you want to extrapolate the numbers, at least double your estimate to 2 %. Now, if you want to know Arizona's percent, at the low ball number of 7 million total, 4.9% at the more excepted estimates, 9.8%.

Now, if we look at California 6.1% at the 7 million figure, 12.2% at the more excepted estimates.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by endisnighe

Lets get ridiculous and say 5%, lets also acknowledge the fact that they ARE NOT AND CAN NOT get social assistance, if they have children in the US then the law provides that the child is given social assistance NOT THE FAMILY!!

The main problem is the loudest opponents of illegals becoming legal are bending the truth just like the wonderful politicians that lied to get in office did, its works, it doesn't help any situation but it gets them where they want to be and as you can see that is working really well for the US economy.

Something else USass should realize is that while the rest of the world is crawling out of the economic crap-hole you guys are digging in further.

The rest of the world is offloading you and your debts for greener pastures, while you true bloods go running around blaming 5% of the population for 100% of the problem. the rest of the world sits by and laughs at how completely stupid you are.

The legal process is riddled with loop holes and designed to be used in conjunction with a lawyers and all his fees, $5K should get you you a green card, and as we all know legal immigration is better, it worked for the terrorists, I don't recall seeing any illegal Mexicans on those planes.

anyway flame out, your ignorance will be your downfall.

Edit to correct spelling.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by svpwizard]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by svpwizard

Cannot get social assistance, you are kidding right?

Free healthcare.
Theft of identity and then game the system.

For someone that attacked my points, you just screamed about my stupidity and also CLAIM the world economy is getting better.

Oh well, I guess you better tell that to Greece and the other countries about ready to tear themselves apart.

Now where is that sand, I need to bury my head to be part of the MSM informed rhetoric.

And where EXACTLY has anyone blamed EVERYTHING on illegal aliens? Note that first parts name? Illegal.

As for the rest of the world, I could give a rat's pitooty what the rest of the world is doing. This country was created because we did not want to be part of the rest of the world's social experiments.

Sorry to sink your hopes, I and others like me do not want to be part of a collectivist utopia where we have no rights. Where our rights are defined in the collectivist idea of WHATEVER is best for the collective. That leads to tyranny and dictatorships.

edit to add-oh and by the way, for you collectivists out there that follow the tenet of the will of the people, I do not follow that because the majority can take the rights of the minority.

Here is your info on what the US and Arizonans believe-

Nationally, 60% Favor Letting Local Police Stop and Verify Immigration Status

70% of Arizona Voters Favor New State Measure Cracking Down On Illegal Immigration

[edit on 4/29/2010 by endisnighe]

new topics
top topics

join