It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coast Guard to light oil spill on fire (AP)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Coast Guard will start burning some Gulf slick oil

NEW ORLEANS – Authorities will begin burning some of the thickest oil in a massive slick from a rig explosion off the coast of Louisiana.

A Coast Guard spokesman says the burn is expected to begin Wednesday morning.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Prentice Danner says fire-resistant containment booms will be used to corral some of the thickest oil on surface, which will then be ignited. It was unclear how large an area would be set on fire or how far from shore the first fire would be set.

The slick is the result of oil leaking from the site of last week's huge explosion of a deep water oil rig that burned and sank. Eleven workers are missing and presumed dead. Oil continues to spill undersea, where robot submarines have been unable to cap the well.

news.yahoo.com...

Maybe it is just me. I just don't see how this is gonna help anything. It just seems like this is going to make a bad situation worse.
But like I said....

[edit on 28-4-2010 by webpirate]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
they should toss a bunch of animals in the water, their fur and feathers seem to soak it up pretty well.

CX

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by eightonefive
they should toss a bunch of animals in the water, their fur and feathers seem to soak it up pretty well.

Countdown to the flak you're gonna receive for that one....5..4..3..2..1

I'm all for a laugh, but when you see how many this will affect, many will think it's not a laughing matter.

Just saying.

CX.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
So- instead of using effective, tried and true ways of cleaning it up- not to mention ways of PICKING it up, they are ''jus' gonna light it on fayyer''

Your govt tax $$ at work, kids.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Won't all the smoke make a huge carbon footprint? Why are the little people made to feel guilty about their lightbulbs when the corporations get away with atrocities like this?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I do not understand why and there may be a good reason, why these rigs dont have a safety device of some kind that stops the flow if the rig fails. Maybe its not possible.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Sometimes it's just not a good idea to light something flammable on fire in such a large amount in one place, just my thoughts but it can't be good. Here's a better idea contain it ,filter out the sea contaminants, and use it.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Schorched earth policy!!!!!!!!
For the Win

so just placing some chemical agent in the oil slick causing it to solidify and be gathered is to hard, we just say fugg it and set it ablaze LMAO

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

I'm sure the smoke will have less effect than a volcano, so the earth will likely still spin. This carbon foot print is a money stealing mind numbing con by the rich to get richer.

Burn it. Cook sausages.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beach Bum
Sometimes it's just not a good idea to light something flammable on fire in such a large amount in one place, just my thoughts but it can't be good. Here's a better idea contain it ,filter out the sea contaminants, and use it.

After reading your comments, I distinctly remember part of this article when i first read it contained criticism from..I can't remember who...but seemed he worked in an environmental related field.
He said that this had been done before on like lakes, where the water was mostly flat, and could be contained within booms. But really had concerns about doing this on the open ocean where it is much harder to control.

I went back to find that part of the article to quote it for the reply to your thread...and now any evidence of dissent has been removed from the article.....

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Good call hadn't thought of the could be too big side. I do think though they could atleast contain alot of it instead of wasting it. As for not being able to find the article not surprised this type of thing is unfortunately the norm these days.

[edit on 10-04-08 by Beach Bum]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
They have done this before off the coast of Newfoundland in 1993.

news.nationalgeographic.com...

Authorities are drawing heavily on a 1993 experiment conducted off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada, which showed that this type of controlled burn can eliminate 50 to 99 percent of the oil collected.

The heat generated by the burning oil—a temperature of 1,800°F (982°C) was measured at the top of the boom at the Newfoundland burn—will cause the smoke to rise several hundred to several thousand feet and at the same time be carried away by the prevailing winds, NOAA's report said.

Oil Burn Effects Similar to Those of Forest Fire?

Charlie Henry, scientist with NOAA and member of the oil-spill response team, said the plume of black smoke will be the biggest environmental impact from such a burn. The smoke will be mostly made up of carbon dioxide and water, but will also contain particulate matter and soot.

"It will be similar to other fires with organic material"—such as forest fires, he said.

Not to sure if I trust "it will be the same as forest fires"

But what will be the greatest of the two evils...????? When it hits shore or when it rains down on you????
so sad

cheers

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:10 PM
link   
This is more of an observation than a rant or news article. But the instance was serendipitous and therefore worth noting here to see if others had the same experience last night.
We all know there is a fire in the gulf of Mexico. But last night I smelled it in Archer Florida, after being brought to notice the funky insect spray smell in the air. It wasn't overwhelming but it was there and the wind was a sustained 20 out of the west and gusting to 35-40, so from what ever the smell emanated, it wasn't something lingering in the air. I was deep in the country, and then it hit us, the oil fire in the gulf.

This morning I went to Keystone heights Fl. to visit another friend 45 miles north of Archer and 20 west. When I mentioned smelling something in the air the night before they flashed on the same thing, saying together they had smelled a petroleum smell in the air but had no culprit in mind. North central Florida had extremely windy conditions last night, and the smell of burning petrol was in the air.

One casual observation from a non profiting agency, Me. Why don't they fashion large humongous balloons they can take to the spill underwater, fill with the pressure available, tie it off and let it float to the top. Isn't this easy, simple, cheap, fast, logical..?? and wouldn't that buy time for the side drilling they are going to take 3 months to do anyway?

I know, they just don't do it that way. :bnghd:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
What baffles me is why we can't just vacuum it up?

1000 barrels per day is 55000 gallons/day or 2291 gph or

38 gallon per minute leak.

big deal...

surely there has to be a pump that can suck it back up at the same rate its coming to surface.

You can get a diesel fired 300 gpm trash water pump for under $1500.00 bucks; surely the big boys have a oil sucking contraption capable of 38 gpm.

Why aren't there tankers out there sucking it up??? Why is lighting it on fire the best idea?

I'm confused.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   
You know the environmentalists couldn't have planned a better event than the explosion, oil leak and now this in order to demonize the oil industry...

Unless they did?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Ummmm.... Maybe they could just nuke it......
or what about all those oil eating bacteria we heard so much about a year or two ago, supposed to munch it up like ant's on a picnic watermelon....

Fire!!!! 1800 degree's, and all is well, or at least it "should" be....

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I repeat in bold for those that might....Why don't they fashion large humongous balloons they can take to the spill underwater, fill with the pressure available, tie it off and let it float to the top. oil is lighter than water so they float up.It's so comparatively simple.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
The leak is more than the 1,000 barrels of day that was originally estimated last week after a deepwater rig exploded and burned off the coast of Louisiana, Suttles told NBC's TODAY show.

It may be as much as a new estimate of 5,000 barrels a day that the government first provided late Wednesday, he said.

Gray whales swim through oil Amid several of the thicker streaks, four gray whales could be seen swimming in the oil. It was not clear if the whales were in danger.

news.ca.msn.com...

5000 barrels a day and they still can not shut it off!

Now they have whales swimming through it. And they are not sure if the whales were in danger, well sh#t Sherlock I'm sure it's not good!!!!

I don't have a good feeling about this. Is this not hurricane season??? What would happen if a hurricane came along......

Just heard on the news they are expecting it to start washing up on shore tomorrow...

cheers

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Demogator
I repeat in bold for those that might....Why don't they fashion large humongous balloons they can take to the spill underwater, fill with the pressure available, tie it off and let it float to the top. oil is lighter than water so they float up.It's so comparatively simple.

You might be onto something! They are thinking about something like this.
Star for you

Another option is a dome-like device to cover oil rising to the surface and pump it to container vessels, but that will take two weeks to put in place, BP said.

news.ca.msn.com...

cheers

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Saw this on CNN this morning. This is terrible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join