It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Lawmaker to Introduce Anti-Immigration Bill

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
It looks like this is finally catching on, and legal residents have had, enough!
Other states are realizing that with what is going on in Arizona, they may get an influx and are taking that, seriously!

Illegals are already stating they are leaving AZ, so, way to go other states! We need these laws in all 50 states, despite what Obama says!

Here is my problem with this is that what about us legal Hispanics? I know legal Hispanics are getting a lot of harassment and even Obama has stated that if anybody continues to harass legal Hispanics will get punished by federal law. I know there is a sore thumb towards Hispanics in Houston. This will just make it worse, but I am all for stopping the illegals and just as long as legal ones don't get harassed.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by zarp3333

Zarp, I was also in the construction industry in San Antonio from 1979- 1986. (exterior & interior lighting manufacturer) I am replying to back up everything you just said.

But it isn't just construction. Certain cafeterias & restaurants- widely known here but I won't name, virtually all manufacturing businesses, "service" industries such as hotel/ motel, maintenance workers (esp apt complexes) & of course housekeepers & yard/ landscape people. Some of these people are driving gravel trucks (wanna die today?)- how in the world they got a license, I canNOT figure out (unless it was GWB allowing Mexican trucks onto US highways during his term- which has supposedly been repealed. Doesn't seem like it) We have actual "employment centers" for day laborers and more than 2/3 I would bet are here illegally. I knew an anglo guy who tried to get work through them. Let's just say he is living in the panhandle now & doing fine.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by dragnet53

Dragnet, your opinions, observations & input would be valuable and welcome on how to go about that. I have quite a few Hispanic friends who have expressed irritation at illegals & Mexican nationals here, but since this has come up, I haven't had a chance to discuss it with any of them yet.
I've never really pursued it, but I have wanted to ask "how can you tell?" a few times. Affluent nationals are easy to spot by the way they dress and frankly, by their demeanor.
Regular people are not so easy (for me, anyway) unless it someone doing something that is obviously off the wall. I would think that law enforcement, because so much of their business IS reading people, would be better at identifying who is who for that reason alone.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Nothing will change; you're fooling yourself if you think it will. Business interests will turn this movement around and call you all ignorant rednecks. The media will hop on the band wagon and chastise and label any supporters of this bill racist. Spineless and corrupt politicians will back down and nothing will change! Wake up America you've already lost your country to corruption and lies ... The peoples will is irrelevant in this day and age; immigrants are needed to compete against the cheaper foreign labour so no changes will ever be enforced if any are created anyway.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by boredsilly

So sad but so true. Nothing will happen that helps this country.
Our will no longer matters as you see in all the crap that gets passed through congress, democrat and republican alike.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   
I see corruption levels and political agendas in DC being the base cause of the Federal Gov. not doing these jobs and not serving their country because they have been far too busy Serving Themselves

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia

make it a crime for immigrants to lack registration documents.

Wow!!!!!
How welcoming

These states are forgetting who they are and how they came to be

They came to be through legal immigration for the most part.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mothershipzeta

So, you're OK with hassling legal immigrants and citizens, possibly arresting them if they don't have adequate proof of citizenship or immigration status, just so you can get those illegal aliens?

As a matter of fact, I am OK with it so are the immigrants I know. They keep their papers on them all the time anyway to apply for jobs or whatever, it's part of their ID and they are just as sick of the illegals as the rest of us. We all realize it's going to be a "hassle" for some of us now and then, but over all it will make a difference.

Here's an idea: crack down on employers who give illegal aliens jobs, and you'll see the problem disappear. But there's NO WAY the Republicans are EVER going to do something like that. That fruit isn't going to pick itself.

That idea was put to the companies around here several years ago. It does work, however, there are some businesses that are harder to track, for example, construction/roofing/oil companies with crews that move around a lot. Those guys pay cash to the illegals so they never show up on their books, you have to actually catch them on the job.

With diligence from the legal employees, the illegals will find it harder to get work.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DogsDogsDogs
reply to post by dragnet53

Dragnet, your opinions, observations & input would be valuable and welcome on how to go about that. I have quite a few Hispanic friends who have expressed irritation at illegals & Mexican nationals here, but since this has come up, I haven't had a chance to discuss it with any of them yet.
I've never really pursued it, but I have wanted to ask "how can you tell?" a few times. Affluent nationals are easy to spot by the way they dress and frankly, by their demeanor.
Regular people are not so easy (for me, anyway) unless it someone doing something that is obviously off the wall. I would think that law enforcement, because so much of their business IS reading people, would be better at identifying who is who for that reason alone.

One easy way to tell if one is illegal is that they won't learn English at all. I have relatives who actually come here legally and they learned English. That is one way to tell of an illegal 'cause they don't care about our culture. They just want to make money.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4nsicphd

Originally posted by DerbyCityLights
reply to post by vor78

I just pointed this out in another thread. The Fed is not supposed to regulate State Law according to our Constitution. Our Federal Gov was formed only to protect the people from Foreign and Domestic violence and infrastructure. It is the job of the States to regulate this, even though the FG feels they should have a say.

Personally Im very happy to see this issue finally getting the time in the spotlight it has needed for so long.

The unabashed stupidity in these interpretations of the Constitution is causing headaches. The wording of the Constitution makes it absolutely clear that immigration law is the province of the feds.
he two references in the Constitution that specifically mention aturalization, are found in Article I, Section 8 in creating the authority of the Congress, “To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization.” Thus from a Constitutional stand point it is the responsibility of Congress to establish all laws and rules of naturalization or immigration.

This is not a law on naturalization. It's a law allowing enforcement of the naturalization laws already in place.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I don't see how this will be ruled Unconstitutional. It's been decades since the federal government has enforced immigration laws. At the rate of 500,000 illegal immigrants coming into the country a year I would argue that is an invasion and since the Feds won't resist the invasion it's with in the states rights to protect it self.

There might be some case law on something like this, but if there isn't then this will be a huge court battle and depending on the out come will determine if states have rights or not.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Light of Night]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:52 PM
link   
This is the beginning of the end. Naomi Wolf was right.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I love TEXAS. and Arizona all 48 other states need to jion them.If you are a illegal alien simple go home and take Obama with you. The US is tired of all the problems illegals bring to this country.This country is in bad shape and we are having a hard enough burden keeping our heads above water without some criminal people pulling us down. Over 400 billion dollars were wasted on illegal aliens last year. No country of origin intended or implied illegal is illegal ................................

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by pajoly

Those bullets flying around the border don't care what color the people are, they are just terrorizing and killing U.S. citizens (who happen to be many colors). Would you want to live in a place like that? How about your children? There are thousands of U.S. citizens down there that are of Mexican/Hispanic decent, do you seriously think they don't mind all the terror and deaths? They are just as much (if not more) at risk as the rest of us.

Any and all illegals who commit crimes should be taken the shortest route back across the border.

I agree with you about the ones who commit crimes, why waste space in our already over crowded prison system with illegals.

As for law-abiding others, that's open for debate in my opinion.

Law-abiding people are people who follow the laws. By coming into the country illegally they are committing a crime, therefore, they cannot be "law-abiding".

If anyone wishes to protest and demand changes be made in their favor, they should do so IN THEIR OWN COUNTRY.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by SheaWolf]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
The government has given itself the right to stop ANYONE FOR NO REASON WHATSOEVER, and demand to see proof of citizenship. No probable cause is needed to detain anyone anymore. Don't have your papers on you? We're going downtown. It doesn't matter who you are, or what race. The cops can jerk you around on their whim.

The founders have spun in their graves so fast they are now in China.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
This bill will never pass after Arizona gets what it deserves for passing this racist anti hispanic law. I fully support the massive boycott Arizona is about to receive. I'm a natural born citizen and just because of this stupid law I'm going to get pull over now and asked for my documents because I'm brown skinned forget that.
I don't support racial profiling againts anyone I'm sorry.

[edit on 29-4-2010 by XNeMeSis21]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I'm having a hard time coming up with what IS the 'right thing to do' in this situation.

People who don't live in or know people who live in the southern states near Mexico really just have no idea how bad the situation really is. How literally overwhelming the crime-on-the-streets is, how whole cities have Mexi drug mafia mostly running them, how whole communities are like trash cans, how citizens can't find work because there's always someone willing to do it cheaper under the table (saving employers taxes not just per-hour), this is verging on being an "invaded territory" and/or "war zone" in places.

For the rest of the country, it's about whether we should stop people for being Mexican. Sorry, hispanic. My cousin is mexican and thinks the term hispanic is retarded so I tend to avoid it. ;-)

For the people who live there, it's about how the heck the overwhelming and getting worse problem of illegals being SO pervasive they're taking over economies, black market muscle, neighborhoods etc. can be dealt with. It is one thing to have "some illegal people" in a territory. It is another thing to have the human version of Kudzu. Everything from social services to ER rooms to schools, you name it, is very badly impacted by this. When you combine all the many issues together, you have literally a disaster.

These bills/ideas are a fairly desperate measure to deal with a problem that has become a desperate situation. That does not necessarily make them an ideal way to deal with the problem, but it serves no purpose to stonewall the method of the effort (which btw I agree is probably injust) while ignoring the frantic cries of the citizens whose situation has driven that effort to come about.

Any child born in the USA is a US citizen. The constitution is not unclear on this. So what? A child cannot live here without parent or guardian. If their parents can put them with a family member who is legal, they can stay. If they cannot, they would have to accompany their parents, but as they are citizens they should be welcome to return, once of legal age.

I think the whole "show me your papers" is disturbing if it can be done on a subjective whim. I totally agree this has a "precedent" that strikes fear into any sane person's heart. Unfortunately, this is really the crux of it: How DO you deal with an issue this *pervasive* if there is no way to literally 'root it out' so to speak? I don't mean the fantasy hand-waving theories that involve magic wands that the media is so fond of. I mean really, this is a serious life- and economy- threatening issue for these territories, something needed to be done 30+ years ago, 20+ years ago, 10+ years ago, yesterday, and they've finally out of desperation taking the initiative to force resolution for the sake of protecting their own people and their own economy. HOW to go about this, what is an appropriate method, if that is not the method to use? And remember when thinking up ideas that it has to be effective and implementable *immediately*.

We *already* have to show our papers in a zillion ways. I'm a mostly-white female and every time I get stopped (by those handsome men in uniform who never seem to give me a ticket, despite that I'm qiute willing to forgive them for it...), I have to show my identification, and my insurance papers. I stop by the bank I show my papers, I have to register my kid in school I gotta show my papers, I get a driver's license I go to ER I gotta show my papers.

I do think one thing about this though: Arizona should enact it more equally. If the police have to see evidence of residence in the USA in one form or another, they should have to see it from *everyone* they stop -- make it a standard requirement along with license and registration, I am pretty sure most folks living in those southern regions would be more than happy to oblige if it worked toward improving the situation.

I also think that being able to pull people over for no reason but what they look like is a dangerous precedent to say the least. However there are other approaches. Obnoxious for sure, but they exist. For example, state-wide and especially in the southern state, they should enact massive surprise roadblocks and hire a lot of extra citizens to help with this, and ID everybody of ANY race in the area. (Their choice where -- so yes, probably poor southern neighborhoods this will happen in and not many northern wealthy neighborhoods; so what. That's an issue of economics.) I might mention that back in my home state of CA the cops did this regularly on weekend evenings and possibly some holidays, as a way of trying to cut down on the number of drunk drivers on the road. It was time consuming (and a real bother if your registration was expired ;-)) but the whole point was to save lives and it's hard to fault the need or effort when people are dying on the highway regularly from something like that.

So for the children, I'd say they're all citizens if born here, but being underage will have to be either taken with their parents or placed with people here who are legal. I might add this is a horrible, horrible situation. I would not really want to see this happen to a single child let alone a ton of them, let alone their parents. What a nightmare. Unfortunately the issues with violent crime and economics and the Feds' lack of doing squat for the most part has finally pushed this issue into focus. Technically the parents committed a crime if they were here illegally but that child is not guilty.

For services, I would say that if you cannot show ID you shouldn't be given anything as a handout, and anybody in the jail or hospital who is illegal should be deported.

For stopping people, I think the citizenship papers request should be applied to everybody of every race, and I think the stops should only be done at legal other-reasons-for-stop OR at "sting surprise roadblocks" set up for that purpose, rather than institutionalizing all mexicans as suspicious.

continued

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RedCairo

continued:

I might add as a last note that there are two concerns not really addressed by this kind of bill:

1) Mexico is possibly the most corrupt country in the Americas from what I hear and what family have experienced. Their 'good' cops and judges live on bribes it appears, and the rest work for various cartels. These people being deported have no home there, possibly no family there, and Mexico does not want them. I realize it is not our business legally to worry what becomes of them and their children. But it is our business ethically. Having been here illegally does not make them (especially the children) subhuman and beneath such concerns. What if Mexico won't take them? What if they just take them out and shoot them? Would this change our perception of what to "do" with them?

2) All of this is after the fact and does not address the real issue: border security. I am aghast that with the biggest threats in our world being terrorism of a variety of kinds, it is just that easy to just walk into the USA. This issue of security needs to be dealt with for several obvious reasons, including the lives and safety of our citizens who are working border patrol. I don't know what the answer is to this, either -- I only know that this issue must be addressed better or all the above issues will just continue indefinitely.

Best,
RC

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Being a Texan myself - I'd love for us to pass the same law that Arizona did. Illegals need to get out of Texas asap and stop taking the legals jobs away from them. A lot of people here Texas do not put up with it already, this law will just bolster that stance.

GO GO TEXAS!

[edit on 29-4-2010 by -Blackout-]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
This makes me ashamed of being from Texas, I can't believe people on AboveTopSecret are all in favor of a law that gives police officers the right to demand papers if THEY suspect you are an illegal.

It's funny the economy is still tanking, the debt of the country is rising faster than ever, we've got massive health care reforms going on, jobs are being lost....but right now the hot issue that everyone is focused on is...voila!! Illegal immigrants!

After all we do need a group of people to blame our problems on! Sorry Hispanics or brown skinned people. Shall we just force anyone who is brown skinned to wear a brown star of david on their sleeve?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join