It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SHTF Day - Survival

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   

SHTF Day - Survival

I did some research on Youtube just to find out
what tricks and techniques were out there that could
help us survive when the SHTF. Some of the videos below
may be practical for you and others not. If you find
additional videos that could assist in surviving in a harsh
environment then please post them.

Generating your own Electricity

Charge your cell phone

How to purify water

Play your radio or mp3 player with potatoes

Make a 12V Earth Battery

How to recharge regular batteries

Bizarre wild food

Double your gas mileage

Of course this is all for entertainment purposes only
and in no way should this post be considered a threat
nor to incite violence in any way or to be used in a manner
outside of rule of law.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Actually, this is a good collection of videos.
Great finds.
But, if SHTF...you won't have access to any PC or Internet for that matter.
So I hope the readers can memorize this stuff.

I practice what I preach, and practicing all these things is the best idea!
(then you don't have to look it up and watch a video again)

PS: I like your disclaimer.
But you should type it like this.
-DISCLAIMER-
Of course this is all for entertainment purposes only
and in no way should this post be considered a threat
nor to incite violence in any way or to be used in a manner
outside of rule of law.

What made you do that? ADL?

[edit on 28-4-2010 by havok]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by havok
What made you do that? ADL?

wise man say
always best to cova yo a$$

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Fun videos.
I think I found my next rainy day project.

Unfortunately, in my neck of the woods when trees take out the power lines they also take out the phone lines.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Thanks boondock. I found the 9 minute water purification video to be good, solid information. Of all the survival skills people should know the number one skill would be obtaining potable water.

This video on water is a prime example of just how dangerous a child can be with a video camera and internet access.
Here's a choice example of HOW TO MAKE YOURSELF SICK -

Forget anything posted on survival on eHOW!!

Honestly there are more horrible survival videos available than there are good ones with vaild information. View them all with a critical eye and then go research from BOOKS anything that sends up a flag with you.

Other vids are still good although I doubt there will be any TV stations on after the SHTF. If there is I PRAY Bugs Bunny is on!

[edit on 28-4-2010 by Asktheanimals]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Most of those videos are about batteries and small source power.

Personally, TSHTF, I'm not really all too worried about TV or an IPOD.

In a true TEOTWAWKI, powered items wont last very long, even your generator will run out of gas eventually, so why burn up your time working to prolong a computers life one day?

Short term emergencies, wouldnt it make more sense to simply stockpile enough batteries to get you by for a couple of weeks and have a hand crank radio on hand for news and updates? I can think of plenty of things I would rather be doing in an emergency than trying to get my music working or my computer up and running.

Its all interesting information, but in reality, this reminds me of the guy who thinks you shouldnt carry a 3 oz cup into the woods because you can make one out of wood. Sure I can do this, but why?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:11 PM
link   

okay 1st video.
Would not work, because of the whole AD/DC issue. Not only that it seems really impractical to rig all this up when you can get LED flashlights in liquor stores now for cheap. They even have cheap solar powered ones.

2nd video.
Not only would that not work it is just spam to get you to go to
householdhacker.com...
And it is a FREE LAPTOP GIVE AWAY!!

3rd video.
Now im not getting this if "SHTF" why would all power go down but still have phone lines?

4th video
same phone line power thing.

5th video.
Probably the best one out of all of these.

The rest are prety generic survival stuff.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Well that was a very nice presentation.
I really enjoyed the water video.

Can you recommend a good B.O.B. ?

What would you put in one ?

Can you tell me about Multi-tools ?

so...

This SHTF day,is there a scenario of some sort you can convey ?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Hey Guys and Gals,I found this wicked spoon video you may want to watch too.

i make a wood spoon !

I even put a nice border on the video.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

Geat vid, i always if "SHTF" what would i do. What am i more likley to find around my house, silverware and battaries or wood and plants to make battaries out of so i can charge my mp3 player while im playing IRL fallout.
Many of these "survival" videos are very impractical. Instead of making a spoon out of wood i think it might just be easier to carve a small spoon out of a larger wood spoon.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

NOTE: that he has comments disabled on that video...

There's NO WAY that AAA battery is powering that CRT TV!

I'm an electronics technician, education in electronics engineering, and no, NOT possible.

Any alkaline battery cell is only 1.5v... DC.

Any device that plugs into a wall outlet (recepticle) is 120v... AC.

Simply NOT compatable.

There are DC circuits inside the TV, mainly the circuits involved with the menus... basically every digital circuit in the TV, but the CRT tube operates at 10,000-20,000 volts AC. The input circuits in the TV are AC. It ends there. The TV would require a specialized power invertor to convert the 1.5vdc up to 120vac, or would need an invertor specifically designed to convert the 1.5VDC into the multiple AC voltages needed by the flyback transformer and etc.

The DC in TV / CRT display ciruitry is botom of the tottem pole. It comes in as AC, and is then transformed into the AC voltages needed by the flyback and other AC circuits, and in the process power diodes are used to cut the trasformed voltages into the required DC +5, -5 (sometimes) and 12v (not required, really, but common)... However, the transformer at the input is what does the voltage conversion in probably most tv designs.

So even if the CRT didn't require AC, the digital circuits still use +5v or better. Meaning you'd need (rather pricey) DC-DC conversion circuits built in at the power input of the TV.

And even if you tried to use a similar sized LCD TV for this, which uses DC throughout, assuming it had DC-DC converson circuits for this application built-in, the total wattage (volts x amps) would probably suck that battery dry by the time the display even kicked on.

So save your RCA cables folks. At least he didn't tell everyone to cut the end of the power cable! I'm even skeptical that the battery made contact with the inner wire after snapping off that prong, especially not the flat end of the battery. Since he's using duct tape why even snap it off? That center prong is what MUST be used to make contact with the AC prongs on the other end.

3 MILLION views?!?! Damn I need to get out of politics...

Good thread tho! I also recommend finding the BBC/PBS series "Rough Science". Clips are short and limited on the streaming sites (I wanted to make a thread for the show the other day actually), but you can find it on bitorrent perhaps.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:01 PM
link   

That earth battery is cool.

Perhaps if you had a long strip of ground that you could keep soaked all the time, perferably salty (dont ever expect to grow crops there) you could get vastly better total power (wattage) enough to run a bank of LED's.

You'd also want to use a large solid copper grounding rod, and an equivalent zing rod. On that angle iron once the zinc (or copper) degrades the fun is over, therefore you want to use solid materials. I've played around suing saltwater-jar batteries like this and the zinc plating corrodes off after a day.
Cant say how long solid 1/2" mateirals would last.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I bought a crank up flashlight from Target recently, which happens to have a section on the bottom to power anything that uses a car charger. It's really useful
I got it for under 10$ too!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

Again, i must ask why.

Yup, I can make wooden spoons, have even sold some. But in a survival situation, is this really a good use of your time? Titanium sporks dont weigh anything and dont take up much room in a BOB. And for the bug in folks, there is always that pesky silverware drawer.

All of these skills are handy to have and to know. However, you really need to take a hard look at where to spend your time. Not just if TSHTF, but in preparing. Does it make more sense to spend your hours making spoons or fiddling with electronics, or are you better served canning your own food, building a cache and stocking it.

We can watch videos on YouTube all we want, but in the end, does this actually make us more prepared should something happen?

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 02:35 PM
link   

There's NO WAY that AAA battery is powering that CRT TV! I'm an electronics technician, education in electronics engineering, and no, NOT possible. Any alkaline battery cell is only 1.5v... DC.
well i tried it yesterday on a 13 inch color t.v. and got 2 min of juice!!!!!
radio/cd player was about 6 min it does work

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 10:28 PM
link   

There some nice videos, but if the #F were to really go down then this the one skill you will need more than any other. There will be no grocery store to go to when you get hungry.
Note: there are better videos available on you tube but are very graphic.
www.youtube.com...[/yvid]

[edit on 29-4-2010 by murfdog]

new topics

top topics

join