It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's a sad day for Happy Meals in Santa Clara County

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikellmikell
Poor Ronald McDonald headed out the door right behind joe the Camel. Such a sad world they are creating the the goverment controls marketing. If your too successful you have to go.

Good ridden don't let the door hit his lard ass on the way out. I never eat at Mcpukeals even when I was a kid I hated the feeling of BLAH
I felt after wards.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by passenger

Unfortunately, if I may make such a discriminatory remark, but bulk of intelligent American's capable of escaping consumerist lifestyles seems to be dwindling. Yes, there are many intelligent Americans on the board here, but unfortunately, the average American ATS member does not represent the average American.

Corporations rule your culture, and many many people follow your culture. Corporations only make profit when people consume, and so they will entice people to consume. The only body large enough to stop the consumer-orientated society of America is the Government (assuming they can quite catering to corporations). Rules like this enforce proper Government policies, and are a step in the right direction.

They can't be all as intelligent as you. (We need a working class)

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Write me down as another one who can't stand Mc Donalds but doesn't believe its the governments place to interfere. Is that what you people want a world were the government tells you everything you should and shouldn't do with your kids?
Belive it or not, their are people outside of ATS who truly don't know how bad Mc. Donalds is for you. Sure they know its high in fat but how many people know about trans fats and such. I thought it was common knowledge until a friend of mine stated asking around as a little experiment. Funny thing is More middle class parents thought Mc. donalds was ok than parents under the poverty line. Why? Because parents on welfare and WIC (food program in the U.S.) shove this information down their throats time and time again, requiring them to go to nutritional classes and keep logs of their diets and meet with nutritional counselors every month or so. Middle class parents don't get this education like poorer parents do.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by For(Home)Country
Unfortunately, if I may make such a discriminatory remark, but bulk of intelligent American's capable of escaping consumerist lifestyles seems to be dwindling. Yes, there are many intelligent Americans on the board here, but unfortunately, the average American ATS member does not represent the average American.

Granted. But for the love of God, please don’t let them define the laws and fundamental conditions of our society!!!

Let’s say, for example, that lots of idiots are falling asleep on the highways and getting run over. Does that mean we all need an official ‘Government Sleep Inspector’ to come into our homes and make sure that we are properly tucked into bed every night? Do we need an official “Bureau of Hand Washing and Bum Wiping’? Where the @#$% does it end?!

For @#$%ing, #$%^& sake don’t let morons determine how our society will function!! It's already bad enough. Don’t give in now. Please don’t support idiocy (and its inevitable propagation) because you are obviously better than that.

Always demand a higher standard if you want to make progress. If you except failure as normal you will never achieve anything.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by passenger]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merigold

No child should be eating that poison anyway

No they shouldn't. Just thinking of it makes me feel

However, I do not need someone to tell me that as I have a brain. Why do we accept LAWS which try and legislate our personal decisions, which are no one's business, for the sake of the "children"?

The fact that we have become accustomed to to eating there and filling our bodies with this crap probably says something about us as a society which sin't too flattering.

But it's wrong to legislate it.

I don't believe it's wrong to legislate this. Unfortunately, the world is filled with lazy, under educated people, and that's why evil companies like McDonalds exist.

Put simply, corporations like this destroy the lives of children and have single handedly created the obesity problem that plagues society and drains healthcare systems of billions of dollars a year. Don't get me started on how they are screwing the environment to graze cattle and produce their packaging.

Here's the reality of the situation; like it or not. Most people don't have a brain because they are born to follow, and need to be told what to do, or what is good for them and what is not.\

I support this legislation and hope it spreads like wildfire across all nations!

IRM

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I'm really torn over this one...

The emotional part of me is saying, to hell with McDonalds and their fatty ways. Kids are better off.

Then the logical part steps in and says, Are you serious!? Is this city really trying to pass a law that bans a corporation from selling a lawful product that meets FDA regulations?

Are they planning on making a law that says straws are no longer allowed to be given out on any diet beverage because it contains Aspartame?

This isn't about McDonald's nutritional value or the health of our children. This is about the government being allowed to dictate, or trying to dictate, what we, and by extension our children, are allowed to eat. Does anyone not see the problem with that?

Today its McDonalds, tomorrow it'll be Toys R Us for selling "violent videogames" which they deem innapropriate, and the list goes on.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Most people don't have a brain because they are born to follow, and need to be told what to do, or what is good for them and what is not.\

You're absolutely right, and this is exactly why the goverment is getting away with passing these sort of laws.

People are stupid.

We know better.

This is how you should live.

Law.

But, as long as you agree on this one...well...then there's no problem right? Just don't complain if the next one bites you on the ...

[edit on 28-4-2010 by xEphon]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by For(Home)Country
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

Good sir, I, as I am sure many other people here on ATS, have no problem with "fat". Obese people are just as important and special as anyone else, and seldom need to be segregated, much less for their personal appearance. This has nothing to do with personal appearance.

No, I don't support this motion because it will supposedly further "trim down" kids in that area weight wise, but rather, it's the Government making the "right" decision for parents when parents seem incapable.

I don't expect you to share similar views, nor do I expect the majority of ATS to either, but there is something about humans being incapable of making their own decisions based on ignorance and selfish impulse. Indeed, I am victim to terrible human nature much like every one else, but when rules can be put in place to deny the human flesh and selfish desires that destroy us, (terrible food in this case), then all the better.

I'm prepared to get blown to bits on ATS for this one, but sometimes people need to be forced to do what's right. (Bring it on, Libertarians!)

Wow. That makes my head hurt. I am such a fierce supporter of liberty, i cannot fathom what you just said.

Lets just say that i am a pacifist that would actually take up arms to fight off a nanny state as you describe above. Our Creator put us here to experience being human. Having other think for us, and correct all our bad decisions kind of prevents living the human experience.

Thank God you live in Canada! LOL

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

"....and when they came for me, there was no one left to defend me."

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
Wow. That makes my head hurt. I am such a fierce supporter of liberty, i cannot fathom what you just said.

Lets just say that i am a pacifist that would actually take up arms to fight off a nanny state as you describe above. Our Creator put us here to experience being human. Having other think for us, and correct all our bad decisions kind of prevents living the human experience.

Thank God you live in Canada! LOL

Well in all honesty, it is nice to meet people who oppose my views. It's always a good idea for me to look at things from someone else's positions, and I suppose you could further state that diversity is part of the human experience as well. Indeed, I do believe we have faith in the same creator, who gave us free choice, but I have seen that free choice get out of hand.

People who advocate liberty to such extents forget that the same liberty has been granted to Corporations, who become much more powerful than the individual. In such a case as McDonalds, large amounts of resources are available to them to bombard and pry open markets including those of young children, all for profit exploitation. Sure, it's the choice of the buyer, but the buyer is uneducated.

Liberty is great to a certain extent, but granted to much, and you have the ability to influence another in a negative manor as we are all humans. My ideal form of Government would be a morally driven Fascist government with the ability to dispel corporate influence in favour of the morally proper will of the people. But of course, the proper way of governing the masses has been disputed for the entire existence of our kind, and forever will be. I'm no more right than Stalin, Hitler, Bush, Harper, Putin, or any other politician. Or am I?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   
You know, I do think McDonald's needs to change. But simply taking a happy meal away doesn't change McDonald's.

Again, make restaurants use "real" food. That's a law I can stand behind. None of this trans fat, none of these preservatives and chemicals. Just honest to god, real food. That would go a long way right there. And, you know what? A cheeseburger might actually be a bit healthy after you take out all the BS. And still be darn tasty. Don't take away the cheeseburger, make it a "real" cheeseburger!

A low fat diet, in some circles is not considered healthy anymore. It is being discovered that you need some of that fat. A dry sandwich is not my style, so smear on the mayo!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by cybertroy

Unfortunately, using "real" food cuts profits by a large margin. If you go to the store and purchase legitimate beef, enough to make say 12 hamburger patties, it will probably cost you around 10 to 15 dollars for that much beef. Working at McDonalds for a year and being promoted to manager to do inventory, I can tell you (although I forget the exact numbers) the cost for one Big Mac patty is much much less than 1 dollar/pattie. I would put it to less than one cent a pattie.

Being able to mark up prices yet the product still be cheap is key in this industry. It's sick, and people love it.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon

Most people don't have a brain because they are born to follow, and need to be told what to do, or what is good for them and what is not.\

You're absolutely right, and this is exactly why the goverment is getting away with passing these sort of laws.

People are stupid.

We know better.

This is how you should live.

Law.

But, as long as you agree on this one...well...then there's no problem right? Just don't complain if the next one bites you on the ...

[edit on 28-4-2010 by xEphon]

Let's get some perspective here. It's legislation that will force corps like McDonalds (who use every psychological trick in the book to pedal poison to our children) to fall in line and do the responsible thing for once. Let's face it, junk food is every bit as harmful as smoking and alcoholism... not to mention addictive!

Should we just trust these corporations to do the right thing by us because thus far, that's been the case and they have not done that... right? Not one of them!

The core value of any corporation like McDonalds is to make money for shareholders. Not to provide healthy and nutritional meals to humans... so the premise for them to even exist as an entity is at the very least flawed or based on a lie.

IRM

[edit on 29/4/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by InfaRedMan

"....and when they came for me, there was no one left to defend me."

I don't think that quote is really applicable here BFFT. This has nothing to do with a Big Brother/Fascist end game. This is about providing nutrition instead of poison. The goal of these companies is to burn that logo into the back of a childs mind by the time they are 3 years old. This is really about breeding addicts with brand loyalty! There is nothing in these corporations that needs to be protected or saved.

If it was my choice to make, (which it clearly isn't), none of these fast food companies would be allowed to exist. To suggest there is anything positive about these entities is to exercise cognitive dissonance, or straight up denial.

IRM

[edit on 29/4/10 by InfaRedMan]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Here's the reality of the situation; like it or not. Most people don't have a brain because they are born to follow, and need to be told what to do, or what is good for them and what is not…support this legislation and hope it spreads like wildfire across all nations!

You do know that sites such as ATS are currently under fire because they support supposedly ‘seditious’ activities (according to some) and give voice to alternative viewpoints? There are those that want to ban sites like this because of the content and freedom of expression that they present.

But you would agree with that right? Because some can’t tell the difference between a website calling for outright destruction, lawlessness and violence and sites like ATS they should all be banned, correct?

It may come about that they will decide that ATS is a danger and needs to be banned because somebody, somewhere misused, misinterpreted or misunderstood it. Children might access it! (shudder) Will you support them in their efforts to ban ATS then? You should - because that is the philosophical stance you have taken.

So, why don’t you set the standard and comply with the wiser beings in control and just recuse yourself from ATS altogether? After all, some lunatic might misuse this site. Maybe one day it will be declared bad for the public mental health. You certainly don’t want to be part of that!

But no. You’ll protest that you’re smarter than that and you have the right to post here and blah, blah, blah. Until somebody – with a mindset just like you –thinks that they can legislate all potential internet hazards just like fatty, dangerous hamburgers!

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by passenger

I've never read such McCrap in my entire time at ATS! Mate... go and take a McParanoid Pill before TPTB come 'a knockin' on your McDoor!

It appears from you post (above) that I could not hope to hold a rational conversation with you so I won't even bother beyond this point.

Apparently wanting to make Happy Meals healthy means I want to bring down the freedoms of the first world? Get a McGrip on yourself FFS!

IRM

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghostsoldier
reply to post by Merigold

Its not wrong to legislate it at all. Parents shouldn't have the right to feed their children poison just because its from a restaurant. Everything we do should be directed towards bettering the world for our children and childrens children.

McDonalds advertising is especially noxious.

I have been boycotting of McDonalds for ~5 years so far.

[edit on 28/4/10 by ghostsoldier]

Who gives you the authority to make those calls? I find that people who always seem to know what's best for world usually don't know anything and are stuck on their own egos.

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Um Science...

You think I'm egotistical because I believe McDonalds should clean up their act? They are blatently poisoning people, and advertise for children, then children become adults, have children - who get advertised upon.

Its pretty obvious.

If they're gonna get the masses hooked - the least they could do is make it a little bit healthier.

[edit on 29/4/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
Who gives you the authority to make those calls? I find that people who always seem to know what's best for world usually don't know anything and are stuck on their own egos.

Indeed, but those ego's are concerned with profit and self motivation. If you can remove that, and replace it with genuine concern, then someone does possess a right to infringe on "free will" because the same free will will harm the individual. Why should we be allowed to harm ourselves? Because it's our body? That's ignorance if you ask me.

[edit on 123030p://444 by For(Home)Country]

posted on Apr, 29 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by ghostsoldier

In all honesty you shouldn't be telling other people what they should, or shouldn't be doing with their children. If you don't want to feed you children McDonalds food then that's your decision, but if Joe Blow down the street wants his children to eat it, that's his decision, not yours, and definately not the governments. Fortunately you don't have the authority to tell me what my rights are.

FYI just because I don't agree with this legislation doesn't mean that I raised my kids on a diet of unhealthy fast foods. My sons are 28 & 30 years old and were raised on healthy home cooked meals. They grew up knowing the difference between snacks (apples, oranges, bananas, etc) and treats ( ice cream, candy, chips, etc) and that healthy snacks are an everyday item whereas treats are not. And guess what I didn't need the government to tell me how to feed my kids, nor do I need them to tell me how to feed my grandkids.

And people need to stop taking this to the extreme - its regulating an evil corporation - its not stopping you from buttering your kids toast with lard and sprinkling a table spoon of salt and sugar on there if you want.

It's the government that will attempt to take this to the extreme if we give them half the chance, and that's the problem. If we allow them to they will regulate what we feed our kids at home. And if they were really concerned about the health of our children and regulating an evil corporation, they would be regulating all the garbage that they incorporate into the "food" that they sell, not just regulating the calorie count.

Personally I don't eat McDonalds food, it literally makes me ill. My granddaughter doesn't like it either (perhaps because she wasn't raised to eat it all the time) but she does like their fries. Fortunately here you don't have to buy the happy meal to get the toy so I can go in there and get her some fries and purchase the toy seperately.

All this crap about they have to do it because of the parents out there that don't have enough sense not to feed it to their children as a regular part of their diet is unfair to the parents that make sure their children eat a healthy diet and give them an occasional happy meal as a treat. You can't punish the whole for the mistakes of the few.

I don't need the government running my life because other people don't know how to run theirs.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join