It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

101 Reasons to be Vegetarian

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

CX

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Thanks for the post, i'll have a look through those links later.

I've often toyed with the idea of becoming a veggie, but fish and chicken are a huge part of my diet. I do like the odd bit of bacon too.

Add to that the fact that most of the veggies i know look like they are going to drop dead any minute, you almost want to go and stuff a bacon sandwich in their mouth before they fall over.

That said, i have had a few mates that do perfectly well as a vegetarian.

Thanks again for the thread.

CX.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   
One reason to be a carnivore:

It tastes amazing!

mmmmm bacon....

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:26 AM
link   
#1: BBQ Ribs

#2: Philly cheese steak sandwiches

#3: Post-thanksgiving turkey burritos

Live fast, die young and leave a hideously bloated corpse that no self-respecting cannibal would touch!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I would love to be a vegan or freegan for political/moral reasons - I go for stints every now and again (not nearly enough). I try to eat organic, but I always give into temptation.

star+flagged

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
The trouble with scientific studies is that the average person doesn't know how to read them!

Take the first link:

"After adjusting for smoking, body mass index, and social class, death rates were lower in non-meat-eaters than in meat eaters for each of the mortality endpoints studied [relative risks and 95% CIs: 0.80 (0. 65, 0.99) for all causes of death, 0.72 (0.47, 1.10) for ischemic heart disease, and 0.61 (0.44, 0.84) for all malignant neoplasms]."

A relative risk of 1 is assigned to the mortality rate of meat eaters. Then the mortality rate of the meat eaters is compared to the non-meat eaters. Notice the confidence interval (CIs).

So for all causes of death - relative risk of meat eater = 1, relative risk of non-meater = 0.80 with a confidence interval of 0.65 to 0.99.

This means that the correct relative risk may be 0.65 or it may be 0.99.

A relative risk that is less than -2 (200 %) is considered nothing more than a mathematical anamoly. It may be simply a function of the sample group and is usually considered to be a result that means Text Whitethere is no statistical difference between the two sample groups.

This is an example of the results of a study being deliberately misinterpreted to influence public behavior.

TIRED OF CONTROL FREAKS

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

I wouldn't go as far as to say that the study is bunk based on what you have just said.

There is a place in our diet for meat - but a way smaller portion than what the average westerner eats.

Chimpanzees will when given the chance, eat a diet that is 95% fruit, vegetable and nut - the other 5% is meat and insects.

The Human digestive system is 90-95% the same as a chimpanzees.

Make sense?

Also, have you heard PETA has a $1,000,000 reward for the first people to invent artificial meat.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Please tell me why bacon has to taste so damn good. I'm craving some as a type this. For some reason when people tell me to become vegetarian, it reminds me of how good meat tastes. I have tried being vegetarian in the past, it just never really worked out in the end.

Would you like to give me your personal top 3 reasons why being vegetarian would be good?

[edit on 28-4-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Thank you for this, star and flag to you!
I´ve been vegetarian for 15 years and I´m healty and happy with it

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I read an article a while back about the oldest living man in New York. He was over 100 years old and he said that he had narrowed his diet down to white bread fried in bacon fat and malt liquor...

I really think it comes down to genetics and how your body handles certain foods.

I eat meat almost daily and I am very healthy so you can have your meat and be healthy. I also exercise a lot so that could have something to do with it.

I just don't buy into the whole vegetarian thing. If anything I would say limit red meats and eat more chicken and fish but hell that's only my opinion.

With all of the crap that is going on with genetically modified foods these days it's hard to even trust the veggies.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Wow! Didn't know there were so many reasons to be a vegetarian?

I'm a meat eater and I only need 2 reasons for it.

1. It's good for you in moderation.
2. It tastes good.

When something needs 101 reasons for someone to do it, it's likely some kind of propaganda campaign.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by PookztA

why do you care so much about what other people eat? do you think that if we all became vegetarians they might come up with some vegetables that taste good?

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I have always felt vegetables have their place in a diet - that place is called a "side dish".

Now, reviewing the article you posted - wow, some extremely biased claims there.

Claims of starvation (basically 1-10): I love how the article ignores the problems with food distribution. There is enough food being grown, but the problem is getting it to the people who need it. 3rd world countries are run by regimes that control food distribution - food that is given to the country for free is often times sold at a huge markup to the actual people who need it.

* We Can Have Enough

Now looking over the rest of it, let's see... Here are my points...

* The writer obviously hasn't done much research on what "organic" means, but does love that buzz word.
* One section talks about food shortages, and another about surplus - inconsistant and damages their own point.
* The PETA-esque statements need to go - that is purely to tug at emotional heart strings.
* There appears to be some significant ignorance on what poisons are in our vegetable supply.
* Several of their statements contradict quite a few studies and appear made up.
* I absolutely love how they ignore the environmental impact of agriculture and just focus on animal husbandry.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Hey, I just ate a huge Caesar Salad! Aren't you vegetarians proud of me?

Oh yeah , i forgot to mention it had thick juicy slices of chicken in it. MMMMM. onolicious.

[edit on 28-4-2010 by SolarE-Souljah]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Here you go. From the list:

Check out the documentary Baraka if you find any of this interesting. See how F'ed up our world really is:

63. Chicks are debeaked without anaesthetic to prevent them injuring each other in the unnaturally confined conditions they are kept in - this is equivalent to having your fingernails pulled out without anaesthetic

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

What kind of stupid logic is that? Being a vegetarian is mostly a protest against the meat industry - and if you can't see that that is a noble position to take - there is something wrong with you. Therefor I think it is a good thing to educate others about they're diet. We all live together, Remember?

Judging by your attitude am I correct to assume that you don't eat fruit and vegetables? - Because almost all of them are delicious.

We need meat because of protein.

But most people crave meat for the endorphins that are released from the natural fats.

NO MEAT MONDAYS - are a good way to chip in.

[edit on 28/4/10 by ghostsoldier]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by PookztA

More of a Winter thread to be honest.

Summer means Burger's and Steaks on the barby.

I'd chew my Arm if someone took my Meat away.

Go Veggy People, woot.

The less you demand Meat, helps keeps lower prices.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
How many vegetarians does it take to eat a cow?

One, if nobody's looking.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed

How many vegetarians does it take to eat a cow?

One, if nobody's looking.

What is the Indian Name for a Vegetarian?

Lousy Hunter.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sean48

You guys really are showing your immaturity.

Have some time to reflect on the lives of factory farmed animals...

NO MEAT MONDAYS

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join