It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tech trouble causing Computer Stress Syndrome: study

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:56 AM
link   
Article

SAN FRANCISCO (AFP) – Crashing machines, slow boot times, and agony dealing with technical support have Digital Age people suffering from Computer Stress Syndrome, a study available online Tuesday found.

The report identified sources of peoples' pain as "frustrating, complex computers and devices, technical failures, viral infections, and long waits to resolve support issues."

"The reality is that numerous, persistent problems are troubling most computer users, creating unnecessary anguish and anxiety as a result," the study found.

Just saw this on Yahoo news a few minutes ago. Looks like there may be a new medical condition that may come out called "Computer Stress Syndrome".

I know alot of people today depend on computers for work,school, personal life. At the same time, companies are coming out with new products that make people want to upgrade. Also viruses and all the annoying stuff that comes with being on the internet brings, causes stress and slows down peoples computers at the same time.

I thought the article was interesting because of how dependent alot of people are on computers and I have definantly had "Computer Stress Syndrome" alot. In a way I think its a funny thing, especially when you see that video of a random kid getting all crazy because his character died in a game or something, although that dosent really relate to the technical issues with computers. Anyways, it was a good read.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Yes, this is almost inevitable. I'm professionally working with computers for 18 years. Started at DTP, moved to video post-production and 3D modeling/animation. All done on Win (brief period with expensive MacOS). Last 3 years I do only network admin and some childish programing. I switched our company network to Linux and now is everything much better and "easier".
The problem is, that computers/networks are really very complex. Companies like Apple or Microsoft try to mask this complexity behind nice icons. But it is lie - and lie never add nothing to being. At end this lie is obstacle to trouble solving efforts. Hence many frustrations are rooted at false "user friendly" appeal. If you want to do ANYTHING at proper manner you must UNDERSTAND the matter and it take lot of time.
At the end I usually realize that all my frustration with "not working" computers stem from the fact, that I didn't read documentation properly. RTFM - as we say

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I have suffered from Computer Stress Syndrome from time to time in the last decade. Being the family computer guru I am called to "fix" peoples PC's.

With my experience this syndrome is cured only if you follow these three major simple 1st steps.

1. Reformat the hard drive. Reinstall operating system.

2. Understand what drivers are and where to find them.

3. Use the maximum RAM your computer will hold.

And also, if you have an important file and it was not backed up it probably was not too important anyway.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
This is pathetic.

This is like road rage!

Good grief, get a grip people! It is JUST a piece of equipment.

Maybe actually educating yourself before a problem happens would be a thing to do.

It is just a machine, and it isnt a techies fault the end user is such an idiot they cannot even accurately describe the problem their 2 thousand dollar computer may be having.

What a load this is now a named syndrome. I already had a name for it. Lazy Consumer Syndrome.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I think that when you expect electronics to work to near-perfection your brain can't compute (excuse the pun) the fact that rarely things, for whatever reason, can go wrong with technology.

We see computers and technology as our "servants" so its inevitable that as our demand for them increases, so does our expectations that they'll be there when we need them.

new topics

top topics

join