It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FOOTAGE! - Scorching, Plasma Rain Observed on the Sun!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Just last week, scientists working with NASA's new Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) released the most astonishing movies of the sun anyone had ever seen. Now, they're doing it again.

"SDO has just observed a massive eruption on the sun—one of the biggest in years," says Lika Guhathakurta of NASA headquarters in Washington DC. "The footage is not only dramatic, but also could solve a longstanding mystery of solar physics."

Karel Schrijver of Lockheed Martin's Solar and Astrophysics Lab is leading the analysis. "We can see a billion tons of magnetized plasma blasting into space while debris from the explosion falls back onto the sun surface. These may be our best data yet

The movie, recorded on April 19th, spans four hours of actual time and more than 100,000 km of linear space. "It's huge," says Schrijver. Indeed, the entire planet Earth could fit between the plasma streamers with room to spare

Wow!!! This is just amazing to watch. The sheer scale of this is hard to comprehend. The fact the Earth can fit into those gaps is crazy!

Astronomers have seen eruptions like this before, but rarely so large and never in such fluid detail. As science team member Alan Title of Lockheed Martin pointed out at last week's press conference, "no other telescope comes close to the combined spatial, temporal and spectral resolution of SDO."

Read article below for answers as to what causes this and there's more awesome video clips too!

I really recommend downloading the video clips at the below link. They are breathtaking to say the least!!

The Answers are Here!

[edit on 28-4-2010 by grantbeed]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   
More Videos here -

I think the first one is in Extreme Ultra Violet hence the Colours -

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Intense, wow!

The sheer scale - size, temperature, and captured in such detail is awe inspiring, great post, thanks.

Not much else to say on that I'm afraid!! Just, wow!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Pr0t0

I think it's just so amazing that we have the technology now to even get the pleasure of viewing such things.

Wind the clock back 10yrs, 20yrs, 50yrs.........my god, we have gone so far in such a short amount of time.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   
This makes me feel so insignificant!

The sun is amazing!!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:24 AM
link   
nice vid .. the first vid whats the object that appears at exact 10 secs in and shoots into the sun ..

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by TaintedJustice

It seems like it's just Plasma being pulled back towards or around the far side the Sun.

Remember this is a few Hours worth of footage shrunk down into a few seconds so it all seeems like it's happening very very fast.

g

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Just so nobody thinks the Sun is doing something it has not been doing for a very long time, everyone should keep in mind that what they are seeing is the result of observational capabilities which have not been available before.

So nobody panics...

Here is the latest Solar update;

Updated 2010 Apr 27 2201 UTC
Joint USAF/NOAA Report of Solar and Geophysical Activity

SDF Number 117 Issued at 2200Z on 27 Apr 2010

Analysis of Solar Active Regions and Activity from 26/2100Z to 27/2100Z: Solar activity was very low. No flares were observed during the past 24 hours.

Solar Activity Forecast: Solar activity is expected to be very low.

Geophysical Activity Summary 26/2100Z to 27/2100Z: The geomagnetic field was quiet.

Geophysical Activity Forecast: The geomagnetic field is expected to be quiet with isolated periods of unsettled conditions for days one and two (28-29 April) due to possible effects from a coronal hole high speed stream. Predominantly quiet levels are expected for day three (30 April).

[edit on 28-4-2010 by expat2368]

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:30 AM
link   
I get so excited when new pictures and videos of space are released, and that video was simply amazing.
Definitely something any space nut such as myself loves to see.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:32 AM
link   
reply to post by expat2368

Lol you always reply with basically the same information.

Broken record

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Ahh ok
didn't know that it was speeded up .. still looks amazing tho especially the uv one the colors are really out there

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:34 AM
link   

You are quite correct, although there is'nt very much info out there on 'Plasma Rain'.

We are now indeed seeing the results of very amazing technology at work.

Astronomers have seen eruptions like this before, but rarely so large and never in such fluid detail. As science team member Alan Title of Lockheed Martin pointed out at last week's press conference, "no other telescope comes close to the combined spatial, temporal and spectral resolution of SDO

G.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by grantbeed

Nice vid, thanks for sharing.

You might be interested in this thread too:

The sun, like you've never seen it before

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thanks for that thread Chad, I never did get round to thanking you there for the heads up!

I have to say I waited with baited breath for the launch of the site but was, at the time, underwhelmed with the images. Of course, that was just me being a pessimist and the sun deciding not to put on much of a display that day. The images since have been incredible at times and I'm looking forward to much more interesting footage from these fantastic scopes in the future.

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:25 AM
link   
WowI must say that is spectacular.

So much yet to see in this awesome Universe God had given us

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Are these recorded and played back in real-time? What kinda of time frame are we watching here...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SeeingBlue

The Videos are not in real time. Its 4hrs worth of footage compressed into these clips.

g

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
reply to post by Pr0t0

I think it's just so amazing that we have the technology now to even get the pleasure of viewing such things.

Wind the clock back 10yrs, 20yrs, 50yrs.........my god, we have gone so far in such a short amount of time.

Yet, we can only still LOOK.. the sun will never (imo) grant us any more..

Amazing... Thanks!!

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmokeytheHair

Lol you always reply with basically the same information.

Broken record

He's right tho, you never know who will turn this into a conspiracy of sorts here - I mean, ATS has become the place for ANYTHING is ANYTHING.... it's nice to see a thing like this, sans the "ZOMG!! WERE DOOMED!!11" stuff.

Sometimes massive sun exposure is just massive sun exposure. I'd rather him saying that than people wondering it is was haarp or the lhc...

posted on Apr, 28 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Nassim Haramein has a different opinion as to the cause of this.

I think most of you will find this aspect interesting!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join